John Sheridan | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

John Sheridan

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Reportedly leaving 7th place Carlisle (in League 2) to rejoin 21st place Chesterfield (In the conference).

:crazy:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge":ccvredw3 said:
Reportedly leaving 7th place Carlisle (in League 2) to rejoin 21st place Chesterfield (In the conference).

Why crazy? He'll be home at about 5.15 on a Saturday and will hardly need to come to work at all during the week. Job's a good 'un!! ;)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
True true.

It is crazy though that since leaving us in 2015, he's had 6 clubs, soon to be 7. He seems to have a real problem sticking around which is why I'm surprised he was with us for as long as he was.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
He's also going to reportedly be the highest paid manager in Non-League/League Two.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Cobi Budge":2s4xgdsc said:

I've got a bit of interest in this. My wife follows Carlisle so I've seen quite a bit of them over the years. There are some similarities with Plymouth Argyle, in that they're geographically remote and the biggest club for some miles and they have a loyal fan base, even though their home gates have been much lower than Argyle's for some years now. This resignation has caused uproar in Cumbria, after an amazing run had taken Carlisle into the play offs. The fans are mainly blaming Sheridan, not their board of directors who they absolutely despise!

Seems purely motivated by money, where I understand he will be highest paid manager in league 4 or 5.

Doesn't reflect well at all on him and I have to say, as much as Adams gets on my wick at times, he has so far been loyal to Argyle and I don't think he would just walk away if we were in Carlisle's position. Sheridan didn't settle at Home Park and to have had so many jobs in 3 years since is amazing. I don't like wishing bad fortune on people, but it will serve him right if Chesterfield sack him in 6 months time, like they've sacked Martin Allen after poaching him from Barnet.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Bezza":3m2qnppa said:
Cobi Budge":3m2qnppa said:

I've got a bit of interest in this. My wife follows Carlisle so I've seen quite a bit of them over the years. There are some similarities with Plymouth Argyle, in that they're geographically remote and the biggest club for some miles and they have a loyal fan base, even though their home gates have been much lower than Argyle's for some years now. This resignation has caused uproar in Cumbria, after an amazing run had taken Carlisle into the play offs. The fans are mainly blaming Sheridan, not their board of directors who they absolutely despise!

Seems purely motivated by money, where I understand he will be highest paid manager in league 4 or 5.

Doesn't reflect well at all on him and I have to say, as much as Adams gets on my wick at times, he has so far been loyal to Argyle and I don't think he would just walk away if we were in Carlisle's position. Sheridan didn't settle at Home Park and to have had so many jobs in 3 years since is amazing. I don't like wishing bad fortune on people, but it will serve him right if Chesterfield sack him in 6 months time, like they've sacked Martin Allen after poaching him from Barnet.
You are right about DA, Bezza. He has been loyal to Argyle and he rarely misses the opportunity to watch our teams at all levels when there is no first team game or he is away trying to make new signings.
At the Fans’ Forum he was described as truthful and trustworthy which I believe.
My concern is that, if/when he turns things around here, he will be back in demand.
At that point, who could blame him if he decided to move on considering the abuse that he has had to tolerate both last year up to Christmas and this year up to now?
I don’t agree with all of his decisions and most of his summer 2018 signings have not excelled up to now but I still believe, as the Board appear to, that he is the best man for the job.
The comparison with John Sheridan is further evidence of my opinion.

Sep 6, 2006
Bezza":aed0v2w4 said:
Cobi Budge":aed0v2w4 said:

What you talking about 'Doesnt reflect well on him'. ??! So you are saying you would turn down a better paid job out of loyalty to an employer who would soon enough sack you? If yes you are a mug and if no a hypocrite.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Balham_Green":2g3pzs9h said:
Bezza":2g3pzs9h said:
Cobi Budge":2g3pzs9h said:

What you talking about 'Doesnt reflect well on him'. ??! So you are saying you would turn down a better paid job out of loyalty to an employer who would soon enough sack you? If yes you are a mug and if no a hypocrite.

That’s quite a cynical perspective. It’s well known that the top reason people leave a job is due to their relationship with their first line manager. As for staying in a job, loyalty is quite low down the rankings. Taking Derek Adams as an example, I’d wager that he’s motivated by the control he has over the club’s football affairs, direction setting - and that his bosses place value on his opinion and trust in him.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t mercenary type employees out there, but they aren’t the norm - Sheridan may of course be one of them. Then again on this occasion he might just be motivated by restoring Chesterfield’s league status and more besides.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I don’t understand why this baffles people.
A higher-paid job far closer to home, who wouldn’t want that?
He’s also had success at Chesterfield before and knows their set-up.

I have often thought people underestimate the professional attraction for lower-league managers of dropping down a division where you increase your chances of success and thus of keeping your job for longer.
Finally Sheridan never came across as a “people person” and - pure speculation - might work better with “yes boss, no boss” players aware of their limitations.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
In days where football managers are treated so poorly by clubs, can anyone really blame him for doing what's best by himself and his family?

One poor run of games at Carlisle and they wouldn't give a second thought to sacking him. That "loyalty" will not be rewarded or reciprocated.

A higher paid job at a club with a lot of potential at that level, closer to home and his family in a set up he knows well. I can't see why he'd think twice; because of "loyalty"? Pah!

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Sheridan had most of his successes as a manager with Chesterfield. I can see why he took the role. He's a great firefighter and makes teams very hard to beat. He did a wonderful job for us in the circumstances but he is one very aloof man. Good luck to him. Feel a bit sorry for the Carlisle fans as it looks as if they had really built up a head of steam in L2.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Ollieargyle9":2y2ngvz5 said:
In days where football managers are treated so poorly by clubs, can anyone really blame him for doing what's best by himself and his family?

One poor run of games at Carlisle and they wouldn't give a second thought to sacking him. That "loyalty" will not be rewarded or reciprocated.

A higher paid job at a club with a lot of potential at that level, closer to home and his family in a set up he knows well. I can't see why he'd think twice; because of "loyalty"? Pah!

That reads well, but do you not think he deserves to compensate Carlisle for breaking his managerial legal contract with them, just like Managers get compensation from the clubs who sack them with out as you say 'a second thought'?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Quintrell_Green":3khw0gdt said:
Ollieargyle9":3khw0gdt said:

That reads well, but do you not think he deserves to compensate Carlisle for breaking his managerial legal contract with them, just like Managers get compensation from the clubs who sack them with out as you say 'a second thought'?

I imagine they will be.

Carlisle aren't obliged to accept his resignation, I'm sure Chesterfield would have had to come to some sort of compensation agreement before Carlisle agreed to let him go.

I'm no expert so could be wrong but even if they haven't; Carlisle would have still had the contractual leverage to keep him if they were unhappy with the arrangement.