Is it time to ban England supporters? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Is it time to ban England supporters?

Firstly, let me admit that my view is totally prejudiced by the only England away performance I have attended, about 15years ago in Vienna, when we were playing Austria in a qualifying game.

On that occasion at least 90% of the England supporters behind a goal were singing anti-German war songs, arms extended pretending to be aeroplanes whilst singing very racist words to the Dambusters theme. My explanation to my Austrian friends left me ambarrassed, and them mystified. Matters didnā€™t improve on the journey back to the city centre, when those same supporters thought it be great fun to put the metro system out of action by pulling escalator emergency cords, and the same on the trains.

Now we have FIFA about to charge the FA over racist chanting by our fans in St Petersburg. I know weā€™ll be told yet again that this is a minority, and some other countries fans are just as guilty, but Iā€™m fed up with it. So why donā€™t we just ban all England supporters? Drastic, yes, but how else do we get across that this is unacceptable? Rant over.

Super horns

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Jul 26, 2008
I'd agree with you if there is racist chanting and clearly a lot of thugs were banned from Russia hence the lack of trouble but I don't think you can stop a whole group of supporters from going anywhere and well sadly people will always sing such songs.

The FA have pleaded with supporters before not to sign it in all fairness.

FIFA will probably fine us more for having the wrong socks though.

May 22, 2006
WFC4EVER":xr2eslxf said:
I'd agree with you if there is racist chanting and clearly a lot of thugs were banned from Russia hence the lack of trouble but I don't think you can stop a whole group of supporters from going anywhere and well sadly people will always sing such songs.

The FA have pleaded with supporters before not to sign it in all fairness.

FIFA will probably fine us more for having the wrong socks though.

Ā£50K fine for three players wearing unauthorised socks. Racist abuse is usually less of a fine.

Is 'No Surrender' deemed to be racist?

Jan 20, 2004
No Mervyn isn't talking rubbish. What he experienced is typical of a large number of England fans abroad. It is has always been this way and will never change. It is embarrassing for those who are patriotic, but not nationalistic or racist, but I can't see how you can ban all England fans from travelling over this as, as always, the innocent will suffer with them.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
What about Argyle fans?

We've had posts on here about racism at games before, chanting about those that are dead etc.

Shall we ban those too?

Clarke_B":1byy7bmr said:
OP clearly has an agenda about England fans and is talking rubbish.
Youā€™re wrong. I donā€™t have an agenda about England fans. This is the first time since my Austrian experience that Iā€™ve given it any real thought, but was prompted by FIFAā€™s reaction to our fansā€™ racist chants, and on that subject, yes, I do have an agenda, whether at club or country level. We need to stamp it out. Does that make sense to you, or am I still talking rubbish?

Sep 13, 2003
mervyn":1ogwm86y said:
Clarke_B":1ogwm86y said:
Youā€™re wrong. I donā€™t have an agenda about England fans. This is the first time since my Austrian experience that Iā€™ve given it any real thought, but was prompted by FIFAā€™s reaction to our fansā€™ racist chants, and on that subject, yes, I do have an agenda, whether at club or country level. We need to stamp it out. Does that make sense to you, or am I still talking rubbish?

You are talking rubbish because there was no racist chanting at all at the semi final. I was there...you quite obviously was not. Can you send a link to this supposed incident in St Petersburg please? Most England fans are still in Moscow anyway!
Fifa are investigating some fans singing no surrender during the national anthem but that always happens and is certainly not racist in any shape or form.
For the record I never sing it and it has no place at at a football match.
Our finest showing at a tournament for decades, plus England fans fully embracing his beautiful country and the culture....but lets forget all that and talk about banning them over absolutely nothing.

Clarke_B":1tb6cslt said:
mervyn":1tb6cslt said:
Clarke_B":1tb6cslt said:

You are talking rubbish because there was no racist chanting at all at the semi final. I was there...you quite obviously was not. Can you send a link to this supposed incident in St Petersburg please? Most England fans are still in Moscow anyway!
Fifa are investigating some fans singing no surrender during the national anthem but that always happens and is certainly not racist in any shape or form.
For the record I never sing it and it has no place at at a football match.
Our finest showing at a tournament for decades, plus England fans fully embracing his beautiful country and the culture....but lets forget all that and talk about banning them over absolutely nothing.

The links you need are the web sites of every major newspaper, each reporting FIFAā€™s investigation. I hope youā€™re right, based on your presence there, and that FIFA have got it wrong. My banning suggestion was actually tongue in cheek, hence my ā€˜rant overā€™ message, where perhaps an emoti might have been smarter. However you have to admit that England supporters have form on this matter, and if FIFA are right, then positive action ends to be taken. On a more positive note, it was a real pleasure to hear on the Adrian Childā€™s programme this morning several Russian supporters saying how the behaviour and character of our fans had totally changed their view of the English generally, that we seem a much nicer nation than they had previously supposed. Iā€™m all for more of that, which I accept couldnā€™t happen if supporters were banned.

C

Cult Of Personality

Been away with England twice in two major tournaments. 2004 in Portugal against Croatia and 2016 in France and against Wales. 99% of England fans are well behaved have fun with the locals and just there to have a good time. There is a small minority but that's the same with every nation. Think the Op has got it wrong and a few others who think England fans are all bad.

Apr 5, 2008
Yes you are talking utter rubbish.What about racist chants from other countries,you don't seem bothered by that, just ban every single England fan that wants to watch their team play abroad,because some fans are racist.why should the innocent be punished as well.And how do you know it was 90% did you count them all by hand?

Disgraceful post,sounds like your just bitter towards England fans for some reason.

moles40":2v21jib4 said:
Yes you are talking utter rubbish.What about racist chants from other countries,you don't seem bothered by that, just ban every single England fan that wants to watch their team play abroad,because some fans are racist.why should the innocent be punished as well.And how do you know it was 90% did you count them all by hand?

Disgraceful post,sounds like your just bitter towards England fans for some reason.

You might find it instructive to read my last post moles40. Deep down I donā€™t really believe we should ban England fans. I just wanted to stir up a reaction because of my absolute hatred of any form of racism.

Sep 13, 2003
My issue is that you specifically stated that Fifa are charging the FA over racist chanting in St Petersburg....which is 100% incorrect. Fifa are investigating fans heard singing "No surrender' during the national anthem at a game in Moscow. Which is not racist and certainly not in Saint Petersburg.