Vardys been totally anonymous | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Vardys been totally anonymous

Jul 25, 2011
In all the minutes vardy has spent on the pitch this World Cup he's been absolutely anonymous and I've had to do a double check he's even on the pitch.
His name never gets mentioned and he seems to go hiding continuously.
The final nail for me was when he shirked a penalty last night. Looking down trying not to be seen,I thought he was supposed to be a top striker ?a goal scorer that didn't have the bottle to take a pen in a World Cup finals, I thought that's what strikers dream of? Bizarre. Especially when you consider he left the job to defender Eric Dier. Whys he on the pitch? He contributed the sum total of zero so far. God forbid we lose Harry. Rashford and sterling have hardly covered themselves in glory either.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
with-menace":34dnetkx said:
In all the minutes vardy has spent on the pitch this World Cup he's been absolutely anonymous and I've had to do a double check he's even on the pitch.
The final nail for me was when he shirked a penalty last night. Looking down trying not to be seen,I thought he was supposed to be a top striker ?a goal scorer that didn't have the bottle to take a pen in a World Cup finals, I thought that's what strikers dream of? Bizarre. Especially when you consider he left the job to defender Eric Dier. Whys he on the pitch? He contributed the sum total of zero so far. God forbid we lose Harry. Rashford and sterling have hardly covered themselves in glory either.

I was saying the same to my mate last night.

He came on when everyone was knackered yet didnt put himself about, didnt chase down etc. Just slotted in beside Kane.

When Rashford, Rose and Vardy were on we really should have pushed the tempo.

I was surprised he got the nod over Rashford.

I'd add Alli to your list of players, he seems quite pedestrian compared to the likes of Lingard. I'd rather have Loftus-Cheek in the midfield and either drop Alli, or play him behind Kane if he is prepared to put in the effort that Sterling does.

Jul 25, 2011
Adam_R":2zl3ndzu said:
with-menace":2zl3ndzu said:

He came on when everyone was knackered yet didnt put himself about, didnt chase down etc. Just slotted in beside Kane.

I'd add Alli to your list of players, he seems quite pedestrian compared to the likes of Lingard. I'd rather have Loftus-Cheek in the midfield and either drop Alli, or play him behind Kane if he is prepared to put in the effort that Sterling does.
I know what you mean but I think Delli has gone off injured in both the games he's played but still should've buried that header tbh. Someone needs to step up up front, we had the possession but couldn't cash in.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
with-menace":1nkkb01r said:
Adam_R":1nkkb01r said:
with-menace":1nkkb01r said:

I know what you mean but I think Delli has gone off injured in both the games he's played but still should've buried that header tbh. Someone needs to step up up front, we had the possession but couldn't cash in.
Rashford deserves more game time. Certainly, ahead of Vardy. Very impressed with his penalty. Calmness personified and only 20 years of age.

Sep 13, 2003
The penalty by Kane in normal time and Rashford's penalty in the shootout were the my highlights. The pressure with 30,000 Colombians whistling must have been immense.

Didn't enjoy the match..it was just too tense to enjoy. Now we have actually won a penalty shootout I will relax against the Swedes in Samara!

Been hearing lots of criticism of how we have been playing...we dont have the best squad in the tournament so lets just enjoy the adventure. Don't forget Italia 90 was littered with scrappy games and we only actually won one match in 90mins (the Egypt game). The other two were in extra time and Cameroon were the better side in that encounter. Roll on Saturday and come on England!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Sterling has achieved absolutely nothing as well apart from consistently lose the ball. I’ve defended him a lot against all the rubbish in the media, but I can’t defend him from a footballing perspective anymore. His work rate is excellent, but his end product is non existent and he’s a liability due to constantly losing possession cheaply.

Rashford is by far the best option to partner Kane.

May 22, 2006
Vardy closed down well against Panama. It's been reported that he has a groin problem and was unable to take the fifth penalty (SSN & Talksport) and he will miss the Sweden game (Talksport).

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Sterling looks cowed by the occasion I can't believe he gets in ahead of others available. This could have been a big chance to show the World how good he is but I think it's too much for him. Would rather Rashford started against Sweden.

Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
Vardy couldn't be risked taking penalty unless absolutely necessary as he was injured. He didn't duck the responsibility. That said, he has not been effective in the time he has had on the pitch.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Sterling is the frustrating one, as i personally think his movement and the positions he takes up are excellent. Sadly his first touch is like a Pox doctor's needle.
However i would stick with him, as the one thing all three possible opponents in QF/SF lack is pace at the back and something has to fall for him sooner or later. Cant have Alli i'm afraid, he's one of those players that when he's hot and the goals are flowing he looks a world beater, but when the goals dry up, there is actually very little else to his game. He doesn't look fit to start for me.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Larry David":23ybnz0x said:
Sterling looks cowed by the occasion I can't believe he gets in ahead of others available. This could have been a big chance to show the World how good he is but I think it's too much for him. Would rather Rashford started against Sweden.

Sterling was very good the other night. He’s the only one who runs in behind and his movement was exceptional and caused Colombia a lot of trouble. Our issue is playing him, Alli and Lingard means we have nobody playing between the lines. I would personally start Loftus Cheek in Alli’s place and allow Lingard to play higher up. I know Alli has been part injured, but he has been very poor and it’s been a long while since he delivered for England.

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":3hwib949 said:
Larry David":3hwib949 said:

Sterling was very good the other night. He’s the only one who runs in behind and his movement was exceptional and caused Colombia a lot of trouble. Our issue is playing him, Alli and Lingard means we have nobody playing between the lines. I would personally start Loftus Cheek in Alli’s place and allow Lingard to play higher up. I know Alli has been part injured, but he has been very poor and it’s been a long while since he delivered for England.

'Exceptional'? Really? Where was the end product? Kept running down blind alleys.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Completely disagree with OP. Vardy was about the only player that put in a decent performance against Belgium IMO. He made a lot of runs that weren't spotted or picked up, he regained possession a number of times by quickly nipping it off an opponents toe and played that excellent ball thru' to Rashford who missed abysmally. I distinctly remember saying to my lad watching the game that he was the only one who looked like he could be arsed. I also thought he looked bright when he came on in the Colombia game - at least in the second period of extra time (first period we looked completely shell shocked) - he got in for one of our few clear cut chances although admittedly shot straight at the 'keeper (and was marginally offside anyway). As for the penalty shirking - we now know he'd picked up a groin strain.

Jul 25, 2011
Ave_IT":5i73u2ft said:
Completely disagree with OP. Vardy was about the only player that put in a decent performance against Belgium IMO. He made a lot of runs that weren't spotted or picked up, he regained possession a number of times by quickly nipping it off an opponents toe and played that excellent ball thru' to Rashford who missed abysmally. I distinctly remember saying to my lad watching the game that he was the only one who looked like he could be arsed. I also thought he looked bright when he came on in the Colombia game - at least in the second period of extra time (first period we looked completely shell shocked) - he got in for one of our few clear cut chances although admittedly shot straight at the 'keeper (and was marginally offside anyway). As for the penalty shirking - we now know he'd picked up a groin strain.
Oh ok, I take it all back, vardys set the world alight and has surely silenced his critics. Real Madrid and juventus are currently battling it out to land the £200m rated goal machine :funny:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
with-menace":1twty2fp said:
Ave_IT":1twty2fp said:
Oh ok, I take it all back, vardys set the world alight and has surely silenced his critics. Real Madrid and juventus are currently battling it out to land the £200m rated goal machine :funny:
Very good - but did you know there is such a thing as a 'grey area' somewhere between the twenty-five year-old Maradonna and Peter Swann?...... I reckon Vardy is somewhere in it :wink:

Then again...
https://talksport.com/football/376796/l ... mie-vardy/