Chaos in Serie B playoff final. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Chaos in Serie B playoff final.

A

ArgyleGarg0yle

Palermo played Frosinone, for the final spot in the Serie A next season in a two match playoff.

With Palermo winning the first leg 2-1, Frosinone just needed to win the second leg, at home by a goal to nil, because the team that finishes highest in the league wins in the event of a draw.

Anyway, with Frosinone winning 1-0 in the second leg, and looking at promotion, Palermo had a penalty decision first given as a freekick, then penalty, only for the ref to change his mind a second time and give a freekick on the edge of the box. The Palermo bench were incensed, and there were heated exchanges, eventually a player on the Palermo bench was sent off.

Here's where the fun begins. With Palermo searching for an important goal to level the tie, Frosinone began all sorts of tricks to waste time. Nothing was off limits in seems. With the coaches of Frosinone, kicking additional balls into the field of play, not once but multiple times. Anything to disrupt Palermo. I wondered if these antics were even lower than Gareth Ainsworth would stoop. Perhaps not?

Frosinone scored a 97th minute second goal to put it in no doubt. But, Palermo coaches, players and management were so furious at Frosinone's anti-football antics they've lodged an immediate written complaint to the the 'Italian FA' to rescind the result and prevent Frosinone's promotion.

Quite unbelievable scenes that needed to be seen to be believed. Looking forward to seeing the result of the complaint, and I personally found it a great story that I wanted to share, and I hope you do too.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
ArgyleGarg0yle":22y9pb9x said:
Palermo played Frosinone, for the final spot in the Serie A next season in a two match playoff.

With Palermo winning the first leg 2-1, Frosinone just needed to win the second leg, at home by a goal to nil, because the team that finishes highest in the league wins in the event of a draw.

Anyway, with Frosinone winning 1-0 in the second leg, and looking at promotion, Palermo had a penalty decision first given as a freekick, then penalty, only for the ref to change his mind a second time and give a freekick on the edge of the box. The Palermo bench were incensed, and there were heated exchanges, eventually a player on the Palermo bench was sent off.

Here's where the fun begins. With Palermo searching for an important goal to level the tie, Frosinone began all sorts of tricks to waste time. Nothing was off limits in seems. With the coaches of Frosinone, kicking additional balls into the field of play, not once but multiple times. Anything to disrupt Palermo. I wondered if these antics were even lower than Gareth Ainsworth would stoop. Perhaps not?

Frosinone scored a 97th minute second goal to put it in no doubt. But, Palermo coaches, players and management were so furious at Frosinone's anti-football antics they've lodged an immediate written complaint to the the 'Italian FA' to rescind the result and prevent Frosinone's promotion.

Quite unbelievable scenes that needed to be seen to be believed. Looking forward to seeing the result of the complaint, and I personally found it a great story that I wanted to share, and I hope you do too.

:crazy:

Feb 2, 2007
Sounds like standard fare for Italian football. Ainsworth would fit in well.

The written complaint will probably be “lost”, a horse head will be involved and big brown envelopes and death threats will abound.

Familial vendettas will hold for several generations until a son and daughter have a romantic liaison and want to get hitched, at which point everyone will get smashed on limoncello and ameretti and laugh it all off.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Frosinone were originally fined €25,000 (whoopee doo) and ordered to play their first two Serie A games behind closed doors.

The club appealed against this, but the appeal was rejected and 'increased' to two games being played at a neutral venue.

Doesn't help Palermo much though...