World Cup Bid - 2030 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

World Cup Bid - 2030

May 22, 2006
USA/Canada/Mexico were just chosen to host the 2026 world cup. Uruguay/Argentina had hoped to have it in 2030 as the 100th anniversary of the very first tournament. That's unlikely to happen now, as there won't be much enthusiasm for two consecutive World Cups in the Americas, especially so soon after 2014. Africa had it in 2010, Asia had in 2002 and will again in 2022.

So that leaves us with Europe. A potential bid from England already has support from the UEFA chairman and FIFA is apparently a very different organisation to the one that caused such outcry with the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 world cups. The other major players in our continent (Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Russia) have all had world cups more recently than us.

If the F.A. do decide to go for it again (and one has to believe that they almost certainly will), would you be in support of Home Park being part of the bid?

Feb 8, 2005
Of course we would be in favour.

The advantages would be immense, but the initial expense would probably be prohibitive. Our ground would have to be upgraded. Where would the money come from?

I'm still not sure whether FIFA have cleansed themselves of their corruption. And as for the other countries with their corrupt F.A.'s, could we really say that there would be corrupt free voting? And would our F.A. be willing to give the World Cup to some lower league clubs? Would Wembley be available for the finals?

It would be nice to think that we could be part of the World Cup, but the expense would be extremely prohibitive, unless it could be covered by sponsorship, tv rights, FA donations and other financial incentives.

One can but dream!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
What the hell? This should be on The World Cup Forum Jim!!!!!!!! :wave:

Aug 2, 2011
Well the last time culminated in PAFC going into administration as a consequence of some grubby money grabbing b-----ds who descended on home park. In particular a former chairman of Man united. So as far as I am concerned no we do not need it.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Presto":p7h9rz6f said:
Well the last time culminated in PAFC going into administration as a consequence of some grubby money grabbing b-----ds who descended on home park. In particular a former chairman of Man united. So as far as I am concerned no we do not need it.

This.

Oct 31, 2015
Presto":36n05edt said:

This all day long No. Thank. You.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
A very big NO from me.
I thought it was silly last time around and I haven't changed my thinking.

Feb 2, 2007
This is the World Cup that almost took us down but was sold out by the corrupt and criminal FIFA delegates.

So just remember that when considering this tournament, and any future bids.

Anyone remember the “free Nottingham Forest” game which was part of our bid attempt. On tv, we lost, it all felt wrong! :banghead: :banghead:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Once bitten twice shy.

The demand simply isn't here. A 46,000 seater stadium sounds nice but would go completely unused in this part of the world unless by some minor miracle we make the Premier League.

We know all too well of the risks and as a result are yet to get back to where we were when the last bid went in. Best bet is to let it go and let others gamble on the "honesty" of FIFA.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Ollieargyle9":1qtizxsg said:
Once bitten twice shy.

The demand simply isn't here. A 46,000 seater stadium sounds nice but would go completely unused in this part of the world unless by some minor miracle we make the Premier League.

We know all too well of the risks and as a result are yet to get back to where we were when the last bid went in. Best bet is to let it go and let others gamble on the "honesty" of FIFA.
But back then we had a bunch of errrr ….. less than totally honest individuals …… who gambled on winning the bid to finance their errr… questionable …. accounting schemes that were already clearly unravelling. That is certainly not the case now – it all depends on a sensible balancing of risks and benefits which I’d trust this quite conservative administration to do.

If you’re bitten once by a big Rotweiler frothing at the mouth it is certainly wise to be shy of HIM next time but you should still let the Collie you’ve known for years help round up the sheep. ……… unless of course they’re not sheep at all but wolves and you & your dog will get savaged :shock:

(and this year’s award for the most tortured metaphor goes to........ :thumbs: )

Aug 2, 2011
Nicely put Ave IT but even if we are now surrounded by happy collies gathering in the flocks and being generally helpful they lack the funds to build a fit for purpose World Cup stadium. To achieve that would require a multi billionaire investor happy to bank roll the club or a huge debt from borrowing - exactly what went wrong before.

The billionaire is unlikely and the existing collies are not going to go near the rotweiler bank!

Nov 5, 2011
I have broken into a cold sweat just thinking about it!

It would be a no from me purely on all the bad memories it generates.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
No to HP being in any bid. Probably be better to go for a joint bid and include Hampden and The National Stadium along with the big Prem grounds and Wembley.

Mind you, Wembley may not be an option if it is hosting baseball for half of each week.