Wenger to leave at the end of the season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Wenger to leave at the end of the season

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
I've heard that they want Adams to take over :oops: :oops:

He's probably left it 2/3 seasons too long but it would be typical for them to now win the Europa League.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
The-Pilgrim":4dwirl8j said:

He's probably left it 2/3 seasons too long but it would be typical for them to now win the Europa League.
I hope they do so that he goes out on a high. Yes, he's stayed too long, but he's done well for the club. The rumour mill was Patrick Viera as a replacement but he's not on Betfair's odds:

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

7/1 Thomas Tuchel

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Brendan Rodgers

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

14/1 Diego Simeone

14/1 Rafael Benitez

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Leonardo Jardim

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Gives me no pleasure saying this, but as a lifelong goner this decision should have been made at least 2 years ago in my opinion. His pride and arrogance in refusing to admit he was no longer up to the job has set the club back years from being able to challenge at the very top again. Luis Enrique me, after Pep and Klopp he would be the perfect fit. Said elsewhere, they should have got rid of Wenger and got Pep or Klopp in while they could, missed a trick on that One. Only news I want to hear now is that Kroenke has gone as well, all he is doing is milking the club as a cash cow, he doesn't give a flying F about where we are in the league as long as he continues to line his pockets.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Keepitgreen":qoz98x47 said:
The-Pilgrim":qoz98x47 said:

I hope they do so that he goes out on a high. Yes, he's stayed too long, but he's done well for the club. The rumour mill was Patrick Viera as a replacement but he's not on Betfair's odds:

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

7/1 Thomas Tuchel

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Brendan Rodgers

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

14/1 Diego Simeone

14/1 Rafael Benitez

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Leonardo Jardim

The manager that quite a few of the board want isn't even on that list. Quite a few board members want Luis Enrique and I personally think he would be a perfect fit for us.

Mar 14, 2009
Doesn't this signal the end of an era in football?

Surely we wont see another top flite manager in English football being with a club as long as Ferguson or Wenger were.

You might say, and some Arsenal fans do on their various social media sites, it has been coming and infact has still taken far too long for him to leave. Yet in the grand scheme of things its hard to picture football quite being the same again.

For when Raneri was sacked, the following year after leading Leiciester to an unforseen miracle in winning a premier league title, I think football showed how the modern day owners and football fans are. Its a cut and thrust business and a lack of impatience now goes from the boardroom to the stands. Yes they could of been getting relegated, but they just had the best and most wonderful experience they are ever likely to witness as a football club in their life time and sometimes there needs to be some kind of loyalty.

Yes, you can say that perhaps Arsenal football club, and their board especially, have stood by their man albeit it because of financial reasoning's. Yet in a season there are only ever 3 domestic trophies you can win its very difficult to stay on top and play a good brand of football as Utd are now finding out under Mourinho. This is what top flite football fans seem to forget. Of course its now exciting for Arsenal fans to think of the possibilites of a new manager coming into the club but at the same time if the club dont spend the amounts of money like Man City/Utd Chelsea etc.... then how on earth can you expect a new manager to compete. He might perform better but without the vast hundreds of millions they will be left watching those clubs march on beyond them still.

Maybe the penny will drop. As yes for all his tactical defishcies Wenger has shown in the past years I think the real issue is the lack of spending power he had to endure which meant players like Van Persie left because of a lack of ambition he saw at the club and then he single handly helped their rivals and Ferguson win his last/their Premier league title.

Sad today for football because even if your not a Gooner, which I am not, you still can admire the brand of football he created and looking back it was a special what he did initially with Arsenal and to be honest it feels weird he is leaving because it feel he has always been around and suddenly its another part of english football now consigned to the history books. Makes me feel old.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Accrington Stanley do not have the biggest budget in their league but they still won it !

Football managers need to get back to coaching instead buying bucket loads of average Carlos Kickaballs, like Pogba for excessive fees and wages.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Metal_Green_Mickey":2xxppxbo said:
Doesn't this signal the end of an era in football?

Surely we wont see another top flite manager in English football being with a club as long as Ferguson or Wenger were.

You might say, and some Arsenal fans do on their various social media sites, it has been coming and infact has still taken far too long for him to leave. Yet in the grand scheme of things its hard to picture football quite being the same again.

For when Raneri was sacked, the following year after leading Leiciester to an unforseen miracle in winning a premier league title, I think football showed how the modern day owners and football fans are. Its a cut and thrust business and a lack of impatience now goes from the boardroom to the stands. Yes they could have been getting relegated, but they just had the best and most wonderful experience they are ever likely to witness as a football club in their life time and sometimes there needs to be some kind of loyalty.

Yes, you can say that perhaps Arsenal football club, and their board especially, have stood by their man albeit it because of financial reasoning's. Yet in a season there are only ever 3 domestic trophies you can win its very difficult to stay on top and play a good brand of football as Utd are now finding out under Mourinho. This is what top flite football fans seem to forget. Of course its now exciting for Arsenal fans to think of the possibilites of a new manager coming into the club but at the same time if the club dont spend the amounts of money like Man City/Utd Chelsea etc.... then how on earth can you expect a new manager to compete. He might perform better but without the vast hundreds of millions they will be left watching those clubs march on beyond them still.

Maybe the penny will drop. As yes for all his tactical defishcies Wenger has shown in the past years I think the real issue is the lack of spending power he had to endure which meant players like Van Persie left because of a lack of ambition he saw at the club and then he single handly helped their rivals and Ferguson win his last/their Premier league title.

Sad today for football because even if your not a Gooner, which I am not, you still can admire the brand of football he created and looking back it was a special what he did initially with Arsenal and to be honest it feels weird he is leaving because it feel he has always been around and suddenly its another part of english football now consigned to the history books. Makes me feel old.

I agree on a lot of this Mickey. There is no question that Wenger is one of the prime reasons behind the revolution behind the English game in the past 20 years. However, his deficiencies have been woefully exposed the past 3 or so seasons, and his refusal to accept that he was the problem is something that will most likely set the club back for years in all realism.

He has had plenty of money to spend, he just hasn't spent it wisely. Cech is an accident waiting to happen, can see why Chelsea god rid. Mustafi is one of the worst wastes of money by any manager in charge of the gooners, the guy is an international player but makes exactly the same mistakes week in and week out. You can add Chambers and Debuchy to the list as well. He never replaced Van Persie despite having had the money to do so for years, no disrespect to Giroud but he was never in Van Persie's class. Add Perez to that, the guy had a decidedly average goals to game ration in Spain but Wenger wasted money on him, could add Welbeck to that list as well. Wenger has had the money to spend, the signings of Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka, Lacazette and Auby show that, just most of his signings have been more miss than hit sadly.

Mar 14, 2009
Well yes he has had money but its only been on occasions like Ozil that they splashed the cash. Normally a signing like this was offset financially by someone who had left. Clichy, Nasri, Fabregas had left for decent money. The final nail in the coffin though was probably Van Persie who joined Utd for money they didn't really need to recoup.

They had money to spend and so the argument could be the money he had spent was only money he generated.

That said he didn't strengthen when he should have. He need a GK badly but didn't react. By the time he got Cech in his form had dipped and he compounded it by signing some signings that he got woefully wrong.

However, people bang on about how he got lucky when he inherited the George Graham team and it's defence. Maybe he did, but lets not forget the invincible back four were Cole, Campbell, Toure and Lauren (with Keown at times) and so nobody should really question it was HIS team.

I hope Arsenal fans realise that life after Wenger may not be as great as they think. As whilst today feels bittersweet for them, they still have the current owners in charge which is more of a hindrance to that football club that Wenger will ever be.

May 22, 2006
Given where Arsenal were under Houston and then Rioch (a middling team relying solely on a temperamental striker, barely able to sell out Highbury), and where they are now, there's no doubt that Wenger will be seen as the greatest thing to happen at Arsenal since Herbert Chapman. The arguing about Wenger's stubbornness will pale into insignificance when we're all in our dotage. When we look back over our lives at some of the classic football teams we have seen, only the most bitter, die-hard Spurs fan could ignore Arsenal of 1997 to 2004.

The vitriol shown towards Wenger today has been appalling and if it's true that football fans get the manager they deserve then I hope Arsenal appoint Barry Fry. A lot of entitled, bitter people seem to "support" (there aren't enough quotation marks in the world sometimes) the Gunners. Most of them will be old enough to remember the Arsenal of the mid-seventies to late eighties when they usually finished mid-table, developed a reputation for playing terrible football and barely won anything. Wenger has won seven FA Cups, three of them in the last four years, so while the trophy haul isn't exactly what Arsenal fans wanted, it's a darn sight better than it used to be. Win three more matches in the Europa League and it'll get even better, and they'll have a place back among the elite where they tirelessly remind us they permanently belong. As if 1960-1988 never happened.

Sod 'em, ungrateful nincompoops. You don't know what you've got til it's gone. God help the next manager.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Ham Green":3hokk303 said:
Given where Arsenal were under Houston and then Rioch (a middling team relying solely on a temperamental striker, barely able to sell out Highbury), and where they are now, there's no doubt that Wenger will be seen as the greatest thing to happen at Arsenal since Herbert Chapman. The arguing about Wenger's stubbornness will pale into insignificance when we're all in our dotage. When we look back over our lives at some of the classic football teams we have seen, only the most bitter, die-hard Spurs fan could ignore Arsenal of 1997 to 2004.

The vitriol shown towards Wenger today has been appalling and if it's true that football fans get the manager they deserve then I hope Arsenal appoint Barry Fry. A lot of entitled, bitter people seem to "support" (there aren't enough quotation marks in the world sometimes) the Gunners. Most of them will be old enough to remember the Arsenal of the mid-seventies to late eighties when they usually finished mid-table, developed a reputation for playing terrible football and barely won anything. Wenger has won seven FA Cups, three of them in the last four years, so while the trophy haul isn't exactly what Arsenal fans wanted, it's a darn sight better than it used to be. Win three more matches in the Europa League and it'll get even better, and they'll have a place back among the elite where they tirelessly remind us they permanently belong. As if 1960-1988 never happened.

Sod 'em, ungrateful nincompoops. You don't know what you've got til it's gone. God help the next manager.

Yeah, well said! :clap:

All this wingeing, why moan about the last two years anf forget the previous 20??
Heard some snivelling 'erbert on today: 'All we've won in the last couple of years is the FA Cup twice and it looks like we won't finish in the top four again!' Boo f***ing hoo!! That's 'failure'?? :lol: :facepalm: :lol:

A

andyr1963

Arsene Wenger must stay, surely he could be persuaded. :greensmile:

Next appointment? Joachim Low would be a good appointment.

Teams not keeping managers for a long time? Both Burnley and Bournemouth could prove that theory wrong, the grass is not always greener etc Oh and Derek Adams WILL prove that theory wrong :scarf: :greensmile: