No GB refs at World Cup

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Surely one from the list put forward of Martin Atkinson, Stuart Attwell, Robert Madley, Michael Oliver, Craig Pawson, Anthony Taylor and Paul Tierney is good enough?
FIFA are saying referee's in other countries are better than in the UK! I don't buy that.

May 22, 2006
Well, the amount of stick we give our referees you'd think none of them should be doing school footy.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3sesde1i said:
Surely one from the list put forward of Martin Atkinson, Stuart Attwell, Robert Madley, Michael Oliver, Craig Pawson, Anthony Taylor and Paul Tierney is good enough?
FIFA are saying referee's in other countries are better than in the UK! I don't buy that.

They aren't saying that. In 2016 each country was asked to nominate refereeing teams but only ONE from each nation would make FIFA's list of officials and reserves for the tournament. Mark Clattenburg was the successful choice from the English FA but when he quit to take up his new role in Saudi Arabia he was replaced by FIFA from the reserves list rather than allowing us to submit another team. It's not that our refs are not good enough at all, it's just an unfortunate application of FIFA's selection rules.

C

chrisrobin

This is embarassing! There are seriously no GB refs at the World Cup??

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":1fj529st said:
PL2 3DQ":1fj529st said:

They aren't saying that. In 2016 each country was asked to nominate refereeing teams but only ONE from each nation would make FIFA's list of officials and reserves for the tournament. Mark Clattenburg was the successful choice from the English FA but when he quit to take up his new role in Saudi Arabia he was replaced by FIFA from the reserves list rather than allowing us to submit another team. It's not that our refs are not good enough at all, it's just an unfortunate application of FIFA's selection rules.

Yep, this is exactly what I heard too. It's just an administrative black hole unfortunately. It's no reflection on the current level of British referees.