VAR to be used at World Cup | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

VAR to be used at World Cup

A

andyr1963

Confirmed that VAR is to be used at this years World Cup in Russia. Given the teething problems when used in the Premiership with professional refs this could be a potential minefield with referees of a lower standard trying to fairly officiate. Every decision that goes against a team could have the players breaking up the tempo of the game by harassing the ref to consult VAR
Having said that the bonus is that Russia will find it much harder to get "home" decisions like South Korea did in 2002

A

andyr1963

Decisions being delayed / changed is changing the "flow" of the game.
How about the "Barton" scenario of one under pressure, inexperienced referee standing by his opinion when obviously wrong. Said referee getting pillioried and VAR getting "withdrawn, until further notice / scrapped, enabling Russia to cheat their way through to the semis / final in a similar way to South Korea 2002

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
That's a shame. I was really counting on more help for England from a Russian linesman - the two countries are on such good terms at the moment.

(He was actually from Azerbaijan, but hey.)

We had a long discussion on here about VAR a couple of month so ago. The penalty just awarded to Australia is exactly the way I hoped it would work. Ref misses a handball, gets a message from the VAR team to have a look , spends 20 seconds looking at it and duly awards a penalty. No fuss, no delay, justice done and added excitement to the game.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
mervyn":1y3xxyig said:
We had a long discussion on here about VAR a couple of month so ago. The penalty just awarded to Australia is exactly the way I hoped it would work. Ref misses a handball, gets a message from the VAR team to have a look , spends 20 seconds looking at it and duly awards a penalty. No fuss, no delay, justice done and added excitement to the game.

VAR should be used in 'clear and obvious' mistakes, that was neither. Its a very harsh penalty for me, the defender has jumped naturally and the ball hit him, its the definition of ball to hand from what I saw.

Lack of consistency still, I'll refer you back to the England game for that, explain to me how the ref and 2 linesman and then 5 refs in full kit (why??) in a studio missed both of those Harry Kane wrestling fouls.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Consistency is the problem, compare the Kane wrestling to some of the calls they've given they're poles apart in enforcement.

Yes, as an England fan I might be a bit biassed, but there's no-one who can defend the 2 calls by 8 people (ref, linesmen (x2), 4th official and VAR officials (x4)).

There's also the issue with diving that fifa were supposedly going to crack down on, why isn't VAR being used to monitor that?

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Complete waste of time in my opinion. Football doesn't need any more hold-ups and, like another poster has already said, there is no consistency. I have seen some shocking decisions not referred and some that were not overturned when they obviously should have been. So what is the point?

And, I'll admit to a lifetime of knocking referees but, you know, I have respected them for doing a thankless job and realised they cannot see everything. But now they can and, when they and the VAR team still get it wrong, that respect goes out of the window for me.

VAR is a disaster, I just hope it will be a short-lived disaster.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Willis88":3uknx139 said:
Got the Brazil penalty overturn spot on.

Can be used for good...sometimes

I was surprised he didn't give Naymar a yellow for the simulation though. Of course he then got booked just after so it could have been even more of a game changer.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Stonewall penalty for Serbia somehow missed tonight, two stonewall penalties for England somehow missed last week, all rugby tackles in the box.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Am loving VAR so far. Only problem is it isn't being used as often as it could be.

Finally results are not being so randomly generated by wrong decisions.

The sooner it's in the PL and FL the better.

Jul 25, 2011
Absolutely hate it.ruins the flow of the game and hasn't prevented refereeing mistakes in fact it's caused many. Also highly contentious application too ,Sweden today,Kane v Tunisia yet employed for the most dubious, innocuous non incidents. It's a nonsense. Get rid.