Cyrille Regis RIP | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cyrille Regis RIP

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Very sad to hear this. In the 70s West Brom were my ‘glamour’ side because of him and Laurie Cunningham who were able to compete with the great Liverpool team & I distinctly remember him scoring a terrific goal to knock Cloughie’s Forest out of the FA cup. Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham & Brendan Batson had to put up with utterly appalling racist crap in those days ……….stuff that seems barely imaginable today even for some of the Neanderthals at some eastern European venues. It must have hurt – it couldn’t not hurt – but they just had to put up with it ….. not just the endless monkey chants but after some games they could literally fill wheel barrows with the bananas routinely thrown at them (and that’s no exaggeration). Always such a polite and decent man - such a shame. RIP.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Very sad indeed. He was a fantastic player.

My memory of him sadly involves Argyle and racism. We were playing at Kenilworth Road and up front for us was Dave Regis (I can't remember if he was a cousin/nephew but a close relative) - for those that don't remember our Regis I would describe him as quite similar to Blissett handy but clumsy.

Remember saying to my old man - jeez like at the size of the bloke stood behind me - it was Cyrille. Anyway fairly sure Argyle were losing and just before half time Dave Regis missed a sitter when some decided to shout "Regis you useless b.... b......." sad to say that wasn't unusual to hear and the kind of thing ignored by supporters and stewards alike. Cyrille could have kicked off would have broken the bloke in half if he wanted. He calmly stepped forward and said "Thats my family you are abusing" and return to his standing place. Made no threat or scene. The bloke who shouted it went white as a sheet. I never saw him in new the second half. I like to think that having changed his pants in the quite intolerable away end toilet he decided that he had a lucky escape and left.

A fantastic player who over time probably done as much to eradicate racism from football in this country as any other player.

Oh and that goal of the season winner. Still wow.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Dave Regis was Cyrille's younger brother. He always played well against us. Then we signed him and he failed to perform. We then sell him on and he starts playing well again. Never in the class of Cyrille however.