2018 World Cup draw | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

2018 World Cup draw

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
No thread yet? Recognise England perennial under achievers but on a football site still worth a thread.

Spain and Portugal drawn in same group. Argentina play Nigeria again also Iceland and Croatia in the group. Germany Mexico Sweden and South Korea could be a tight group.

Guess if England fail to make knockout stages from their group than Southgate will be shown door.

May 22, 2006
If we don't get out of that group then don't even bring the lads home, there must be some Siberian gulags still standing.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The-Pilgrim":16ffyxat said:
Very good draw for us with a good 2nd round opponent too, quarter finals should be the minimum..........

You're making an assumption we'll win the group. On paper it should be a good draw for us, but Belgium are ranked higher than us (with good reason as they've got some decent players in their squad) and after watching Panama in some of the CONCACAF qualifiers they'll probably try and kick England off the pitch. I wouldn't be surprised if we go through as runners-up: I've seen far too many major tournaments where England have underachieved (and by that I mean they've failed to live up to the expectations of Engurlander fans when in reality we've had a mediocre squad at best since 1990) to take anything for granted anymore.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Quinny":2i8j928w said:
The-Pilgrim":2i8j928w said:
Very good draw for us with a good 2nd round opponent too, quarter finals should be the minimum..........

You're making an assumption we'll win the group. On paper it should be a good draw for us, but Belgium are ranked higher than us (with good reason as they've got some decent players in their squad) and after watching Panama in some of the CONCACAF qualifiers they'll probably try and kick England off the pitch. I wouldn't be surprised if we go through as runners-up: I've seen far too many major tournaments where England have underachieved (and by that I mean they've failed to live up to the expectations of Engurlander fans when in reality we've had a mediocre squad at best since 1990) to take anything for granted anymore.

If we go through it'll be a team from group H in the 2nd round, that's Poland, Columbia, Japan or Senegal, nothing to be afraid of there!

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Columbia are decent these days. I have a feeling that we will get to the knockout games but beyond that it's hard to predict. This England side will be a bit different in that there are few established players. Rooney's retirement means that the 'golden generation' has gone.

N

NorfolkGreen

Two draws followed by a must win against Belgium only for Hazard to score in the 92nd minute to send us home.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
i think the best we can hope for against belgium is a draw, the other two should be easy wins in fairness so it will simply be down to goal difference for who finishes first

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
We shouldn't expect top spot anyway. Belgium are a world class side and we came in 2nd seeded. In theory finishing 2nd in the group is correct for us. However if we can beat Tunisia and Panama ( let's face it, we should) then a draw against Belgium could see us top the group.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So much expectation already. Once the group stage is over and we get to the knockout games, just like our FA Cup, anything can happen. We should stop trying to predict it and enjoy it as it happens before our eyes.

A

andyr1963

jespafc":10r3vuwe said:
Some of the shortest memories ever brought together here in one thread!

Ain't that the truth.

Tunisia..............Can we break down the inevitable defensive wall?

Panama............ totally unknown package

Belgium...........fabulous player but not a team, as yet.

Probably qualify, possibly do quite well, but this is England :sigh:

I will be more optimistic nearer the kick off :greensmile:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
The game for Belgium should be quite entertaining, because both teams like to attack.

I actually think we can do well quite well in this tournament. Our younger players are finally starting to perform consistently for their clubs and we actually look a good side going into the World Cup.