Away teams to keep revenue from travelling fans? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Away teams to keep revenue from travelling fans?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There's been no confirmation as yet from the EFL (as if they would keep fans informed :) ) but the Accrington chairman Andy Holt has tweeted this ....

@AndyhHolt

In a landmark ruling @EFL have decided without agreement that away team should get the revenue from their travelling fans.

In an absolute shambles, the home team loses a major part of the revenue from staging the game despite paying the costs for it.

He hasn't followed up with any more details but it looks like the EFL has ruled that home clubs have to hand over the revenue to the away team for the amount of away fans at a game.
Despite police and steward costs for controlling a large away following the money generated from that will go to the away team.

It's obviously good news for Argyle due to our large away following but some clubs might just allow the bare minimum of 10% of stadium capacity for away fans, this would mean it would be more difficult for Argyle fans to get tickets.

At Home Park the away capacity is reduced because of the grandstand refurbishment but usually we only have large away followings from the likes of Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers.

Andy Holt is always outspoken and regularly criticises the football authorities on behalf of the fans so we'll see if this agreement is true or not.

And is this linked to future ifollow agreements?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Hmm. It would benefit us but I still don't like the idea, would disadvantage the smaller clubs who get a boost out of good away followings.

The league system is more fluid now and in my opinion that's a good thing, we've passed the era where the size of a club dictates how far it can go, not sure I want to see that rigid system again.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Makes you wonder what motivated this, who would have been complaining to get this pushed through?

Maybe posty is right, this is the new era with more ifollow coverage, empty away ends and more EFL meetings in exotic locations.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
This and the ifollow debate are following the same pattern; clubs keep the revenue from their own fans.

i.e. it benefits the "Big" clubs.

For me, the thin end of another wedge that ends with the "Big" clubs doing their own TV deals to the detriment of everyone else.

I fail to see how EFL are acting in their members' long term interests.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It also makes the presumption that all away fans will sit/stand in the same area, in order to identify ticket sales With a lot of Argyle fans distributed around the UK and possibly purchasing on the day, the identification process would be difficult. If this proposition was to gain legs, all away supporters would need to make prior purchase through the Home Park ticket sales office.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I wonder who will be allocated to "count" the number of away fans. Obviously those that buy tickets from Argyle will be but the others ? … I doubt.

B

Bonehead

So most grounds would have a capacity for 100 away fans . Why shouldn’t they? Think about it.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
plymouth1970":2cc47ben said:
So most grounds would have a capacity for 100 away fans . Why shouldn’t they? Think about it.

Because that would mean that only 900 home fans could go I think... (away allocation must be 10% of total?). But yes, with this arrangement it would make sense to limit the away allocation to the minimum level allowed within League rules.

Oct 18, 2006
I can see that happening.
The Doctor":cjsiyerk said:
plymouth1970":cjsiyerk said:

Because that would mean that only 900 home fans could go I think... (away allocation must be 10% of total?). But yes, with this arrangement it would make sense to limit the away allocation to the minimum level allowed within League rules.

I can see that happening now, they can limit the away fans to 10% and then just give free tickets away in the home end because why not? there would be less that zero incentive to do otherwise. I have always been proud when attending away games because we do travel in large numbers and I have always felt proud and most of the game I have attended and chatted to opposition fans in the pubs before and after the game have always had good respect for us as fans. This has the potential to spoil the game as we currently know it.

This is so wrong. In the lower leagues we should be helping each other, not fighting over revenues. Accrington, for example, struggling on crowds around 3000, now find their potential better payday against Sunderland becomes a loss-maker because of increased policing costs. And the benefit to Sunderland? It would barely register in their petty cash column.