• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Links from Facebook

Apr 30, 2017
A few rumoured signings being discussed on Facebook this evening;

Tafari Moore - RB
Ben Nugent - CB
Jonathan Meades - LB
Antony Evans - CM/CAM

Tafari Moore is a dimunitive mobile Right Back, very good offensively albeit a tad suspect defensively. Ben Nugent is a left-sided CB, similar build and player to Sonny B, probable replacement. Jonathan Meades is a LB, recently rejected a contract at Wimbledon, good offensively and solid defensively, got a throw on him also. Antony Evans, would be a loan from Everton, is a offensive utility player capable playing in CM, No. 10 and out wide.

Aug 3, 2017
For me on that list I would question Evans, as I feel we need more of a CDM/CM. I personally feel we have plenty of attacking options.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
It appears Nugent was offered a new deal but on the basis that he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place. If Gillingham cannot guarantee him that, I wonder if he's good enough to get into our side as well.

I see that Lee Martin was released by Gillingham in the summer. Still only 31. could fill a couple of positions for us?

Aug 5, 2016
Emu":oiofwwa2 said:
It appears Nugent was offered a new deal but on the basis that he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place. If Gillingham cannot guarantee him that, I wonder if he's good enough to get into our side as well.

I see that Lee Martin was released by Gillingham in the summer. Still only 31. could fill a couple of positions for us?

On paper he seems a like for like replacement for Sonny Bradley. 6' 5", not particularly outstanding at previous clubs, decent pedigree. And most likely on half the wages.

When Bradley first signed, I couldn't see him starting over Bristol City's Karleigh Osborne, the Latvian international Nauris Bulvitis, or the former Blackburn and SPL defender Yann Songo'o. Sonny's first game seemed to confirm that assessment when he turned like an oil tanker and lost a foot race he had a head start in. But Bradley ended the season head and shoulders the best CB at the club. Like Nugent, some big fella journeyman no-one had really heard of and not particularly rated at all.

Adams obviously thinks there are enough available big CBs out there like Ben Nugent who can do what Bradley did for Argyle, settle, find his feet and grow into the team. Nugent's availability and price was likely a massive factor in Adams not letting Bradley hold him to ransom, and to hold Luton to ransom for his services instead.

So all in all, I wouldn't be disillusioned with this signing at all. Finding a CB at Gillingham who had a decent enough season is no different or worse to finding one at Crawley struggling in League Two. On the subject of Gillingham defenders, I thought Gabriel Zakuani stood out against us last season and I wouldn't mind having him, but that's a different subject.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Surely if Gillingham have three centre backs that the manager rates/prefers or Nugent doesn't fit into the game plan or if Nugent has upset the manager in some way, then said manager may let him go?

On that basis, there is no basis for saying that Nugent isn't 'good enough' to replace Bradley just that Gillingham don't need him atm?? :think:

Mar 8, 2016
Knibbsworth":2heoch09 said:
Emu":2heoch09 said:

On paper he seems a like for like replacement for Sonny Bradley. 6' 5", not particularly outstanding at previous clubs, decent pedigree. And most likely on half the wages.

When Bradley first signed, I couldn't see him starting over Bristol City's Karleigh Osborne, the Latvian international Nauris Bulvitis, or the former Blackburn and SPL defender Yann Songo'o. Sonny's first game seemed to confirm that assessment when he turned like an oil tanker and lost a foot race he had a head start in. But Bradley ended the season head and shoulders the best CB at the club. Like Nugent, some big fella journeyman no-one had really heard of and not particularly rated at all.

Adams obviously thinks there are enough available big CBs out there like Ben Nugent who can do what Bradley did for Argyle, settle, find his feet and grow into the team. Nugent's availability and price was likely a massive factor in Adams not letting Bradley hold him to ransom, and to hold Luton to ransom for his services instead.

So all in all, I wouldn't be disillusioned with this signing at all. Finding a CB at Gillingham who had a decent enough season is no different or worse to finding one at Crawley struggling in League Two. On the subject of Gillingham defenders, I thought Gabriel Zakuani stood out against us last season and I wouldn't mind having him, but that's a different subject.

Good post knibbs, found myself nodding in agreement while reading that.

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
If we signed all 4 and Songo'o signs up then our squad is complete and looking very strong.

Aug 11, 2013
Ben Nugent would be a typical Adams signing. Looks the ticket. One Adams can improve and make a wanted man. Very well liked at Cardiff.

I see that in his youth He finished in the top three in the national 1500m championships! Sounds an athlete that will be in top shape under Adams training regime. Left footed 6 foot 5 defenders donā€™t grow on trees. Hope this comes off.