Callam Mendez-Jones

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It looks like we are interested in Hednesford Town right-back Callam Mendez-Jones.
He was released by West Brom last summer and has played for England at under 16, 17 and 18 levels.

He can also play at centre-back and was on loan at Accrington last season but didn't play many games.

Hednesford play at level 7, which is one league below National League South/North and four levels below Argyle.

Jul 29, 2010
Quintrell_Green":2c4gnled said:
Interesting but another right back, albeit possibly free?
Longer term squad cover position for next season, after Zak has gone back to City?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
He's free and can't imagine a big wage would be required. If we've got additional pennies in the budget, I think this would be a good move. Gives us 6 months to assess him and he can be adequate backup to Threlkeld. It's been a while since we plucked a relative unknown from non-league.

Sep 19, 2015
The lad obviously has something about him to be at West Brom for 10 years. I doubt he would demand a substantial wage and would definitely be worth a look in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2010
...wouldn't go down well with the 'we shouldn't release our youngsters' set though.

An informed word of caution about the 7th tier. A few months ago I went back to occasionally watching Worthing FC (on 'unachievable' Argyle days). They also play at tier seven. I hadn't been since my teenage years and I've been pleasantly surprised how competitive and entertaining the games are.

The one player who has stood out in all the games I've seen was a lad they had on loan from Gillingham, Jesse Starkey. An attacking midfielder who is calm on the ball, strong in the challenge and has a good eye for a pass. He is noticably better than the rest.

I say they had him on loan because in the last few days he's signed non-contract terms (while looking for another professional club) having been released by the Gills. He therefore is in exactly the same position as Mendez-Jones.

The point of all this is by means of comparison, if this lad stands out for Hednesford in just the same way Jesse Starkey does for Worthing he is bound to catch the eye, but if another L1 club has decided that Starkey isn't good enough for them, maybe Mendez-Jones isn't good enough for us :think:

Oct 31, 2015
Sounds like a good move. We picked up the like of Luke and Nelse from other clubs atca young age and they turned out ok.