Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: F1 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm 

MickyD wrote:
That was my point, really - not so much that he had to go for it sooner rather than later; just that it seemed more a move of desperate abandon (against Max Verstappen, of all people!) than a one-off now-or-never attempt (which it certainly didn't need to be, and especially not there).

And on this general topic, there's an interesting piece at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45812129. All speculative ifs and buts, of course, but it's hardly much of a spoiler to say that it doesn't make very happy reading for Vettel and Ferrari fans.

Eye opening that Ferrari have dropped that many points! For me the turning point was the Germany/Hungary double header with Vettel binning it when leading in Germany and then Hungary a race that Ferrari should have won ending with a Hamilton win after a wet quali mixed the grid up. I think that was 40ish points in 2 races and Ferrari haven't really recovered since.

What are peoples thoughts on the new women only series that's starting next season? Aim is to give them more chance to reach F1 but I think it may do the exact opposite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm 

The-Pilgrim wrote:
What are peoples thoughts on the new women only series that's starting next season? Aim is to give them more chance to reach F1 but I think it may do the exact opposite.

Yeah, tricky one. I'm sure it's been done with the best intentions but I can't help but wonder if it will end up as something of a ghettoised, head-patting competition for the liddle laydeez, bless 'em - they're pretty good drivers as birds go, and this'll keep 'em sweet while keeping 'em well clear of he proper grown-up men's racing in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 am 
Site Admin, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

MickyD wrote:
The-Pilgrim wrote:

Yeah, tricky one. I'm sure it's been done with the best intentions but I can't help but wonder if it will end up as something of a ghettoised, head-patting competition for the liddle laydeez, bless 'em - they're pretty good drivers as birds go, and this'll keep 'em sweet while keeping 'em well clear of he proper grown-up men's racing in F1.

There’s been talk of three car teams and it’s been suggested that the third car should be used for junior drivers. How about running the third car for women drivers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am 

That's an interesting idea but I think we can anticipate the objection: the junior drivers would be in those third cars on merit, so why should they suffer just to shoehorn in ten extra drivers who would take their places based only on gender? I can just see the "Political Correctness Gone Mad" headlines now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 am 

More generally, though, I'd love to see (ideally) 15 two-car teams or (far more realistically) ten three-car teams just to fill the tracks up more and to produce more action - especially if they did away with blue flags!

I've just done a quick search and I see that the highest number of starters ever was 34 at the 1953 German GP, although admittedly that was at the Nürburgring when it was over 14 miles long!

Fun F1 records page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... ce_records

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am 

George Russell signs for Williams, 3 Brits on the grid next season and 2 of them very young which is good for the future! Just hope that him and Lando Norris aren't battling for 19th and 20th!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 am 

The-Pilgrim wrote:
George Russell signs for Williams, 3 Brits on the grid next season and 2 of them very young which is good for the future! Just hope that him and Lando Norris aren't battling for 19th and 20th!

Nice one! Except, of course, for the teams they've joined... In years gone by the two newbies would have been right up there, but what sorry situations Williams and McLaren now find themselves in. 19th and 20th sound all too believable, sadly. No, let's be optimistic - 17th and 18th! :whistle:

Another Wikipedia F1 records page, but a far less fun one for fans of those two teams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... nstructors)

All those wins seem like a hundred years ago now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am 

Yes Kimi! Lewis' title win can wait a week, lets all enjoy watching a Kimi win!

Great race last night, any one of 3 could have won it with 4 laps to go, should have been 5 if Danny Ric didn't break down again and if Vettel hadn't spun again. Bottas looks a broken man to me and looks someone who is already fearing for his seat in 2020 with Ocon surely lined up to take his place.

Looking forward to Mexico next weekend, potential for another 3 way battle at the front and the midfield is so close still, looked close this weekend but didn't see any of it with what was going on at the front.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10