Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've said this many times before, I'd much rather go for a pint with a genuine Exeter fan who goes to games than a plastic Man Yoo fan who's never set foot in Manchester let alone Old Trafford.
Its good to have rivals that you want a 1 up on but hate? Nah. I hate Man City etc far more for what they're doing to the game.

I usually agree with a lot of what you say mate but I’d like to ask, what is it that Man City are doing so wrong? How are they damaging the game? If you’re talking about the financial allegations, they haven’t been found guilty of anything.

Man City’s owners and board have pumped a ridiculous amount of money into Manchester itself via infrastructure and outreach projects. Man City do an unbelievable amount of work in the community that they weren’t able to do before they were taken over, they have the biggest community trust in the country, probably the world.

And from a footballing POV, they’re dominating football because they’re fantastic at it, they have the best manager in the world and some of the best players in the word. Money helps but Man City’s hit rate when it comes to recruitment has been phenomenal in comparison to your Chelsea’s and your Man Utd’s who have spent similarly. Man City have also brought through Phil Foden who is comfortably one of England’s best players.

I’ll put my tin hat on now, but I really don’t have an issue with City and I’ll say fair play to them if they win a 4th successive title tomorrow.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It’s interesting to think that when the Fourth Division was formed in the late 50’s, Palace, Exeter City and Torquay United were all of a similar size. Argyle had the richer history and were by far the bigger club.

Apr 16, 2016
For me, there was rivalry with Exeter in the 70s. In the midst of general rampant hooliganism I travelled by train to Exeter c 1977 aged about 13 with a few mates thinking I was a big man, but actually was shocked a bit. The green army ran wild in the city centre and at the ground, causing havoc wherever they could and on the way back the train was completely vandalised and the emergency cord pulled a dozen times. It took hours to get back.
Then by about 1979/80 and the two tone / skinhead period it got a lot more tense away to Exeter ( no longer a simple pushover they were up for fighting back ).
I also remember going with a load of Argyle fans in the early 80's in the popular side at Torquay to cheer on Torquay against Exeter, with a number of Argyle fans looking to go further of course.
This could even have been the day in 1977 where you will see footage of an Exeter fan being beaten badly and a pitch invasion etc.
Can anyone identify the Argyle player who classily trips up the pitch invader ? Is it Alan Rogers ?

Apr 24, 2013
Yes it was argyle at Exeter as I was there, I think it was Alan Rogers with the trip. It may had been an FA cup match. The reason the film of the Exeter fan getting a hiding after the match had ended was because the TV gantry was at the front of the cowshed, the commentator at the time was Chris fear who was a well known Exeter city fan and in fact lived very near me and he showed the clip on the Monday evening on I think Westwood TV. How the years have flown by.

May 16, 2016
We're poles apart from them now. Not worth worrying about, I've noted on the ST thread how, just the amount of people on our waiting list for tickets would fill 50% of their stadium.

Tin pot, the lot of 'em.

Apr 24, 2013
Thinking about that match it was not a fa cup match it was a league cup game around the beginning of the season. Anyway those days are gone.