Retained list (confirmed) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (confirmed)

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
Its going to be an unusual position for us to be in, especially if we're in League one assuming we sell Morgs (likely) and/or Cooper / Gibson. For the first time in, well, ever (?) we'll have a decent pot you'd expect to pick some players up on perms for. Most in the league will also know we have some money, especially if that sale is Morgs.

I know the mantra will be that its measured spending based on all the principals Simon and the board have but also very different to our usual situation.

And as Woodsy said, very compelling for a new manager.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Tbh I hope we offer contracts to those out of contract because then at least the new manager has a chance to talk them into staying should he wants them
I hope next week we are surprised and have a manager announcement although somehow I doubt it probably save it until Pre season to save the wages.
Assuming the lack of pressure conference or press release is due to him being on gardening leave I hope because he's still employed he doesn't trigger that relegation avoidance bonus !

Feb 14, 2022
Its going to be an unusual position for us to be in, especially if we're in League one assuming we sell Morgs (likely) and/or Cooper / Gibson. For the first time in, well, ever (?) we'll have a decent pot you'd expect to pick some players up on perms for. Most in the league will also know we have some money, especially if that sale is Morgs.

I know the mantra will be that its measured spending based on all the principals Simon and the board have but also very different to our usual situation.

And as Woodsy said, very compelling for a new manager.

Any sales will be reported as an 'undisclosed fee' for a multitude of reasons - Swansea's cut of Morgs fee, not raising prices by showing our hand on income and not raising fan expectations of a spending spree, just for a start

Reactions: jimsing

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Yep. If we get a big wedge for Whittaker (and possibly one or two others) then the calibre of those new players should be pretty good even by Championship standards. If something really weird happens and Whittaker decides to stay, then we'll once again be shopping in Lidl while everyone else is in Waitrose.

Correct.

If we’re offered a sizeable fee (10m perhaps) for Whittaker then we should take it.

We’d miss Whittaker as a fanbase but that sort of money would enable us to buy and/or pay the wages of 4 or 5 Championship standard players.

Reactions: Moorlander
Feb 8, 2005
Correct.

If we’re offered a sizeable fee (10m perhaps) for Whittaker then we should take it.

We’d miss Whittaker as a fanbase but that sort of money would enable us to buy and/or pay the wages of 4 or 5 Championship standard players.
So who will be scoring the goals then?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
So who will be scoring the goals then?

As I said, the money could be used to strengthen the squad, enabling us to be more cohesive and better protected against injuries/dips in form, therefore making us less reliant on a single player.

Feb 8, 2005
As I said, the money could be used to strengthen the squad, enabling us to be more cohesive and better protected against injuries/dips in form, therefore making us less reliant on a single player.
You won't get another striker of Whittaker's quality as well as other Championship players, Cobi.

So who is going to score his goals?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
You won't get another striker of Whittaker's quality as well as other Championship players, Cobi.

So who is going to score his goals?

A better and a more cohesive squad will score more goals and those goals will be more evenly distributed. We can’t just hang onto Whittaker forever, that isn’t sustainable, say he does his cruciate ligament during pre season? Then we’re stuffed.

Feb 8, 2005
A better and a more cohesive squad will score more goals and those goals will be more evenly distributed. We can’t just hang onto Whittaker forever, that isn’t sustainable, say he does his cruciate ligament during pre season? Then we’re stuffed.
True, but to get rid of your star striker in order to build a better squad does not mean that we will be able to replace his goals any time soon.

Look at far better teams than us with top scorers in single figures only. Perhaps that is what you are saying?

Surely we would want to build up the defence as well, and increase numbers in midfield. We cannot do it all at once.

Dec 26, 2022
The retained list wont be any big surprise, as others have said, only a few players out of contract. The retained list wont include XYZ player who wants to leave or likely include players we are happy to move on, i.e. put on the transfer list. As the pre season unfolds, who we sell / let leave will likely depend on the players we can bring in. I can see us letting any of the average players leave unless we have someone better signed.
Agreed, nothing to see here immediately. We're not going to announce that player X and Y (Whittaker etc) may be leaving whilst they are still on contract. Expect all three first teamers - Miller, Galloway and Burton - to be offered contracts but terms of these will determine whether they re-sign. It's how it plays out over the summer that will be very interesting. Presume a few of the younger pro's - Halls, Endacott etc - loaned out to local clubs will be released as they've not had a look in....?

Feb 13, 2021
I heard or read that the Retained List will be issued 18May24 which rather surprised me as I thought it would have been issued this week

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Patience season only just ended ha ha b reckon it be a week or two yet