London
Josh Pope":rvinj6zn said:
neilbet79":rvinj6zn said:
Balham_Green":rvinj6zn said:
The-Pilgrim":rvinj6zn said:
Not sure Taylor is good enough.

Not sure how you can come to that opinion quite yet. He was very effective last season but has barely played this season, don't think you can say with any certainty he won't make the step up.

I didn't say it with certainty to be fair. However, both Oxford and Pompey both let him go as a league 2 player, nothing on the face of it gives me confidence that he is anything but an okay hold-up forward of League 2 standard.
Given our lack of options at the moment I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Wrong. Oxford let him go in League 1.

Well done. But they still let him go.

If this logic was applied everywhere then players would never move anywhere. Players fit and play differently at different clubs - it isn't the hardest concept to grasp, is it?

Graham Carey got released by Ross County - do you think they'd release him for nothing if he was playing for them like he is now?

At ease soldier.
I simply said at the beginning that I was "not sure" whether Ryan Taylor is good enough for league 1. Purely an observation or opinion if you will. The example of Taylor will not fit into every paradigm of player that has been released by a club and went on to be a successful elsewhere.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He’s by far the best player we have in that position for the way we play.

Our season will be defined by either goals coming from midfield and set plays using the current system or additions in January with a completely new system implemented.

Having neither will see us drop.

Feb 2, 2007
Well done Taylor, 90 mins today. Created space and added to our potency in the centre forward position. Great assist for Grant's goal.

So glad we finally have a centre forward back on the pitch (not disrespect to Jervis who put his heart in).

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Taylor was quietly brilliant today.

Also great to have Jervis back out wide where he's most effective.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The step up in ability in the lone striker role that Taylor showed today was huge and utterly obvious after just his first half dozen or so touches.

Jan 28, 2015
Great to have him back . Brilliant at holding the ball up and bringing people into play.

Sep 8, 2013
His return made a clear difference today. A lone striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Jul 29, 2010
greenwelly":jswrw0o1 said:
His return made a clear difference today. A lone striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.
This, it was clear as day after just a couple of minutes.

That some couldn't see it just identifies the finger counters who only judge a forward on goals scored.

Horses for courses. Say what you like about the formation and tactics, I have, they suck and never change, but if that's how we"re going to play then Taylor suits them perfectly.

Jul 6, 2009
Taylor was very good today but we rely on the centre forward so much when we play 4-5-1. Adams has to sign another player in January who can play in this position as we have desperately missed Taylor for nearly half the season. The Gillingham centre backs were given a torrid time by Taylor today.

Jul 24, 2009
Spot on X-Isle and skynet, one of the main reasons for me that Argyle's season has gone the way it so far has is Taylor's unfortunate injury on the open day. Coupled with Adams ludicrous failure to sign an alternative option in the summer. I suppose also the fact Ciftci turned out to be the rushed wrong choice as a loanee.

The 'it doesn't matter who plays up front as we're not creating chances argument' is so simplistic it's ridiculous, completely misses how crucial a strong centre forward can be for getting you up the pitch, occupying defences and bringing our creative players (Carey et al) into the game. Trigger in his second spell was far far from prolific, but for me he was probably the most crucial signing Sturrock made for those Championship winning sides, certainly in the top 2 or 3.

Anyway, relieved and happy Taylor is back. Where we finish will be largely determined by what we do transfer wise in January I think.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Agree with all three posts above. It was good to see a striker causing the opposing centre backs so much trouble. The more games RT plays will hopefully make him more of a handful for the full 90 minutes.
We still need a 2nd striker though.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
It would nice to get Oscar back and Sawyer back to his usual LB spot, he tries his out of position, but it hasn't really worked for him there.

May 3, 2017
Great to have Taylor back in the team. He’s such a strong and clever centre forward. In January I think Adams has to sign a target man of similar ilk as back up as we simply cannot afford to be in the position we were in when he got injured the first match.