Jim McAnearney RIP | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jim McAnearney RIP

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Fond memory from my early days of support. A good player in a very good team. I recall him scoring the only goal in a 5-1 FA cup defeat at Home Park. I pretty sure this was against Sheffield Wed.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
argyleapf":2hvh6ymn said:
Fond memory from my early days of support. A good player in a very good team. I recall him scoring the only goal in a 5-1 FA cup defeat at Home Park. I pretty sure this was against Sheffield Wed.
West Brom in January 1963, one of only 3 ties played that day due to the big freeze. It was the day Alex Jackson broke his leg up near the Old Director's Box in the right hand corner of the Barn Park end. He had actually got us back to 1-1 but once Jackson could not come out for the second half we quickly fell behind.

Jun 18, 2006
I don't remember Jim playing as it was a little before my time but I was on holiday in Kos with my wife in 1987 and met a couple from Sheffield and when I told him I was from Plymouth he proudly announced he was born at Freedom Fields Hospital.........he was Jim's son Paul who proudly talked of his father's football career.

R.I.P. Jim

Condolences to the family.

Jan 11, 2016
I was at that 7-1 Preston game and if I remember rightly the floodlights threatened to fail at half-time. It was a Wednesday night in August - the second consecutive home game at the start of the season so it was light until well into the match. Happily all ended well! 61-62 was the season Argyle should reached the old First Division. One point from the last six games meant that they didn't. Jimmy scored 11 goals in his 34 games. 62-63 started very well and when they went to Middlesbrough (0-3)after 9 games Argyle were top 6-1-2. Things levelled off after that and the Jackson broken leg in the West Brom cup tie in which Jimmy scored saw Argyle struggle through to the end of the season with just 4 wins from the last 18 games. Jimmy ended the season with 10 goals from 36 games. I would suggest that these were the days of proper football - 2-3-5 every game, the right Argyle green, no sponsors message on the shirts, decent quality reserve football and room for clever players like Jimmy who incidentally always signed my autograph book with a smile!

Aug 14, 2014
Superb photo of Jim in his prime in those wonderful shirts. I too played in his position as a schoolboy and dreamed I might follow him pulling the Argyle strings --- along with a few thousand other kids in Cornwall and Devon. Many more of us had our local team heroes in the early sixties, thanks for the inspiration and
memories Jim.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
plymptonborn":zhqhrai8 said:
I don't remember Jim playing as it was a little before my time but I was on holiday in Kos with my wife in 1987 and met a couple from Sheffield and when I told him I was from Plymouth he proudly announced he was born at Freedom Fields Hospital.........he was Jim's son Paul who proudly talked of his father's football career.

R.I.P. Jim

Condolences to the family.
I have heard that same thing from Paul. Not only was he born at Freedom Fields, but it was on the very day that the Queen Mother officially opened the Tamar Bridge. When I visited them in Sheffield Jim's wife Jean asked me if I had any idea why HMY Britannia was in the Sound on the day Paul was born at FF. I didn't know then but a quick visit to the library when I returned to Plymouth solved the mystery.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Jimmy was a very clever player and a lovely man. As a 15/16year old in the early 60s playing for Kitto YMCA in the
PYC league, I really looked forward to going into the YMCA mid week evenings for training where Jimmy often turned up and gave his time freely to coach us lads in footballing skills. He was so quick and so enthusiastic about teaching us. I loved it and will always remember his kindness.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
My 1st game was 66-67 so didn't see Jim play, but clearly remember my Uncle Will (8th Army 'desert rat' - but that's another story!) recounting all the great Argyle teams and players he had seen and mentioned Jim McA as a 'lovely player'. Maybe in the new grandstand we can have a real hall of fame and give due reverance to the players of our past?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
harbourgreen":3eymyw58 said:
My 1st game was 66-67 so didn't see Jim play, but clearly remember my Uncle Will (8th Army 'desert rat' - but that's another story!) recounting all the great Argyle teams and players he had seen and mentioned Jim McA as a 'lovely player'. Maybe in the new grandstand we can have a real hall of fame and give due reverance to the players of our past?
There are people interested in doing that and more "harbourgreen". There are a few supporters with unbelievable memorabilia collections who are willing to donate items to a proper Argyle museum. There are also a number of supporters who would be able to bring that history to life with talks and tours of any exhibition. Unfortunately I probably won't now see First Division (PL) football at HP but a decent museum would be a good consolation prize.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
memory man":3szfvmv8 said:
harbourgreen":3szfvmv8 said:
There are people interested in doing that and more "harbourgreen". There are a few supporters with unbelievable memorabilia collections who are willing to donate items to a proper Argyle museum. There are also a number of supporters who would be able to bring that history to life with talks and tours of any exhibition. Unfortunately I probably won't now see First Division (PL) football at HP but a decent museum would be a good consolation prize.

Blimey your not that old are you.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
dunlop":17aoa0hs said:
memory man":17aoa0hs said:
harbourgreen":17aoa0hs said:

Blimey your not that old are you.
Approaching 70 and a realist!!