Ben Purrington | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ben Purrington

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The strange thing is that Rotherham have exactly the same number of points now as when he first joined them.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Seems a bit light to be honest but I was just thinking how we've not really missed him. Of course, we can't possibly know if we would have played better or not with or without him but like Reuben we seem to have got along just fine.

It's nice to be able to think of such mundane things now I'm not so concerned as to whether we're going up or not because I'm firmly in the camp of "league one, here we come".

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
IJN":1ls09z24 said:
The strange thing is that Rotherham have exactly the same number of points now as when he first joined them.

+1 Ian, he was in the side that drew 1-1 against Blackburn. Even so, what a dreadful season for everyone associated with RUFC.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
Knarf Reprah":skjdtmlk said:
Silly boy following the dollar

I understand what you're saying, but why is he a silly boy?

Rotherham would have offered him a 2-3 year deal on probably double what he's getting at Argyle. If he had stayed, we would have offered him a 1-year deal on the same money, or with a slight increase. For him, a professional footballer, his job and livelihood, it's a no-brainer to be honest.

This is the real world of lower league football, not the mega bucks of the Premier League where players can earn £50k a week extra, just by moving!

Feb 28, 2016
MajorGreen":2dtzfp0b said:
Knarf Reprah":2dtzfp0b said:
Silly boy following the dollar

I understand what you're saying, but why is he a silly boy?

Rotherham would have offered him a 2-3 year deal on probably double what he's getting at Argyle. If he had stayed, we would have offered him a 1-year deal on the same money, or with a slight increase. For him, a professional footballer, his job and livelihood, it's a no-brainer to be honest.

This is the real world of lower league football, not the mega bucks of the Premier League where players can earn £50k a week extra, just by moving!

That from everything I've heard is a conservative guess. Ball-park wage increase more between tripled and quadrupled the length of contract more to 3-4 years.

Yeah seems going by his now public comments, there was no attempt at trying to keep him here and would have maybe got another year on similar wages, but I don't think that was by any means certain. I personally always thought he should have been first choice LB but I don't think Adams ever did. I think he may well have been amongst the first to have been shipped out if we had been promoted with him here. he will be seen as a professional and a man from the off there, not a boy and a prospect that he would have still been seen as here for seasons to come. I have to agree in the end it was a no brainer.

Aug 5, 2016
Well that means Argyle will be playing against Rotherham next season, with them on lower crowds than us, and paying our old LB nearly FOUR TIMES what we were.

If you add £100,000 per year to his contract, and say he's on £2,500 a week. That's £225,000 per season, for three seasons, that Ben Purrington will have cost Rotherham. He's costing them £4,400 per week, transfer fee considered. £700k in total over three years.

Doesn't sound like good business management, but I don't blame Ben for taking it.

I'd rather Argyle didn't spend such sums on a LB, and bring someone in at the going rate. Which I don't think is £4,400 a week - probably isn't even £1400 per week, in that position.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Rotherham were the first team to be relegated this season. Purrington was a second half sub in another defeat.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Given what has happened to his team and his contribution, I would almost be embarrassed to take £2,500 per week, but doubtless his agent was smiling all the way to the bank.