George Baker | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

George Baker

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
One man who will be excited at Wales's opportunity to qualify for the Euro Finals is former Argyle centre forward George Baker. George was an integral part of the Argyle promotion side of 1958-59 and the previous summer had been named in the Wales 22 for the World Cup finals in Sweden. When I met George in 2008 I asked him to recall the excitement of being in Sweden for the tournament. I was surprised to learn that he never actually left Wales. He explained that the plane was too small to take all of the players and all of the Welsh FA officials and their wives. So George and the third goalkeeper Ken Jones were asked to step aside, stay at home and keep themselves fit in case they were needed! George does have a place in Welsh football history though. On 23 April 1958 he was part of their under 23 side that beat England 2-1 at the Racecourse Ground, an England side that fielded Brian Clough and Jimmy Greaves as their strikers. It remains the only time that Wales has beaten England either at under 23 or under 21 level.