Dan Gosling @ Bournemouth | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dan Gosling @ Bournemouth

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I see Dan only got on the pitch last night for a late couple of minutes in Bournemouth's big match versus Bolton. Is this an indication of a return from injury, or, is he not now able to command a starting XI selection?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
He doesn't seem to have been first choice at all, even when he has been fit. Perhaps the perfect example of a player who was ill-served by his agent. The agent spotted the loophole in his contract at Everton and spirited him away to Newcastle. However, we may never know how much the knee injury sustained at Everton affected him (I think he was still injured when he left for Newcastle), but he was clearly well thought of there and may well have prospered by staying at Goodison longer. And, of course, the free move to Newcastle scuppered the sell-on clause held by Argyle.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":336kc2ew said:
He doesn't seem to have been first choice at all, even when he has been fit. Perhaps the perfect example of a player who was ill-served by his agent. The agent spotted the loophole in his contract at Everton and spirited him away to Newcastle. However, we may never know how much the knee injury sustained at Everton affected him (I think he was still injured when he left for Newcastle), but he was clearly well thought of there and may well have prospered by staying at Goodison longer. And, of course, the free move to Newcastle scuppered the sell-on clause held by Argyle.

THanks MM for all that. Unless his past injury has affected his performance levels, I find it difficult to comprehend how someone can drift from performing quite regularly at Premiership level can drift to to the subs bench of a Championship team. I just hope he can halt the downward spiral, but like you, I agree his agent did better in commission received than he did for his client, all to Argyle's financial detriment.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
One FL start and 16 substitute appearances, plus he started some League Cup and FA Cup games. He had an ankle injury in January and was sidelined for six weeks or so. A local press article told us that he is disappointed that he has not started more often but that he takes inspiration from Andrew Surman. Surman took nearly a season to establish himself in Howe's thinking and Gosling hopes that he is able to do the same.

Apr 30, 2011
Gosling's move to Newcastle may not have been best for his footballing career but probably earnt him enough money to not need to work when he hangs his boots up.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Penmaster":3c2cct7q said:
Gosling's move to Newcastle may not have been best for his footballing career but probably earnt him enough money to not need to work when he hangs his boots up.

Yes, he earned big wages but at the same time he would have paid big tax to HMRC. His time at Newcastle was relatively short-lived compared say, to the likes of Ferdinand at Man U, or say, Noble at West Ham, who have/ is earning big money over a number of years. It is big money over a number of years that create big nest eggs for the future provided of course they do not fritter it away at gambling etc. like some we could mention.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Well, 18 months on from this series of posts and the lad has really turned his career around. Perhaps he finds the Premiership easier to play in than the Championship? I watched the game on Sky this evening and I thought Gosling was unlucky not to get MoM. However, that said, any one of six or seven of the home side were good enough to take the award. The energy levels by the Bournemouth side are incredible, with Gosling looking as if he covers as much ground as any of them.