Official twitter account / Argyle comms (merged) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Official twitter account / Argyle comms (merged)

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
The official Argyle twitter account is taking the proverbial. I prefer to get the news and facts straight up rather than have to play stupid guessing games or read between the lines. The ridiculous photo clues for the goalkeeper signing yesterday a case in point. Noone anywhere is going to be able to get a second division Dutch goalkeeper from four random obscure pictures. And the teasing tweets over Carey - a saga that worries many fans I presume - are infuriating.

I would rather a twitter account that was informative, quick with the facts, gets behind the scenes a little, and makes me feel closer and in touch with the club. Why no tweets about Adams' whereabouts for example?

As we step up the leagues, the club needs a far more professional communications set-up. Not one relying on low grade schoolboy humour that serves the whims and fancies of the communications person ahead of the information needs and concerns of fans.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I like the official twitter feed. Whoever is doing it had a great sense of humour. There is a real mixture of information and humour.

It's far better than the baggo which I only visit via links.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Can't see anything wrong with it myself, in fact it makes perfect sense in terms of generating interest and "clicks" on the OS.

If a signing was announced straight away a few people would read the article, tell their friends or tell Pasoti and most of us wouldn't then bother checking the OS, the news will have broken and we'd be reading other fans views on here or on Twitter.

Build it up and make a huge deal out of it before-hand and people can't give a name to their friends, they can only tell people that something is coming. Suddenly your audience has grown tenfold before you've even made an announcement. As soon as the OS hit go everyone floods the site wanting to be the first to know. At the same time Argyle have kept their customers minds on the club for an extended period. Rather than a quick burst of enthusiasm at the announcement Argyle have held fans' attention for 30 minutes all the while fans have been speculating and therefore spreading the Argyle word.

I don't see it as a problem, I don't see it as the club taking the mick. It's a marketing ploy to keep people interested over the quiet summer season.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
I can see both sides of the argument. I personally can't be assed with guessing and working it out, got more important things to do. So I see the 'incoming' tweet and check Pasoti an hour later. #Simples!!!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Pezbuck":2dil2480 said:
The official Argyle twitter account is taking the proverbial and unprofessional. I prefer to get the news and facts straight up rather than have to play stupid guessing games or read between the lines. The ridiculous photo clues for the goalkeeper signing yesterday a case in point. Noone anywhere is going to be able to get a second division Dutch goalkeeper from four random obscure pictures. And the teasing tweets over Carey - a saga that worries many fans I presume - are infuriating.

I would rather a twitter account that was informative, quick with the facts, gets behind the scenes a little, and makes me feel closer and in touch with the club. Why no tweets about Adams' whereabouts for example?

As we step up the leagues, the club needs a far more professional communications set-up. Not one relying on low grade schoolboy humour that serves the whims and fancies of the communications person ahead of the information needs and concerns of fans.
The players haven't even come back for pre-season yet (until today). There's absolutely no need for any of us to know where Derek Adams is until today. A lot of people feel the more informal approach of our twitter account makes them feel closer to the club, if you take that away and make it like every other club then you would lose that.
The picture clues I can kind of agree with. I used to like it, but not so much anymore as they've changed their style of it a bit. And I agree that doing it yesterday seemed pointless by the time the signing was announced as very few if anyone would have heard of him. As for the Carey hints....I think everyone else has invented a situation that isn't there.

May 14, 2004
PLYMOUTH
Monster Green":2wseuu6v said:
I can see both sides of the argument. I personally can't be assed with guessing and working it out, got more important things to do. So I see the 'incoming' tweet and check Pasoti an hour later. #Simples!!!
I agree with him :D

Apr 15, 2016
You must be fun at parties!

The Twitter account is great. Twitter is not designed to be used as a robotic professional tool, merely for bitesize info snippets and lighthearted fun to break the barrier between fan/club and customer/company. The cryptic clues engage the fans and get people talking about Argyle - a marketing tool that works. The fact that it is evident that there is a human/humans behind ours is fantastic considering the world of rulebooks and policies that we are forced to live in now. Keep it up I say.

I suggest you stick to the baggo!

Jul 29, 2010
I don't use it, obviously, but it seems to me, from what gets forwarded here, to be doing what facetw@tter does...immature behaviour from an immature media.

If you don't like what they're doing, don't go there. Wait for official news. Some folk can't wait though, patience is a lost behavioural trait. They want to know immediately, if not sooner and are therefore forced to the margins of credible sources to look for that immediacy.

If everyone unfriended, decoupled, untw@atted or whatever the phrase is from the argyle facetw@tter feed then they'd get the message. But it seems to me anyway from the outside that the world and his wife falls over themselves to unwittingly encourage this buffoonery by 'following' (?) the Argyle facetw@tter feed in ever greater numbers.

And that's what they're after, footfall or tw@tfall or whatever it is. It's no different to the clickbait the Herald puts out, non stories to generate interest, to get lemmings through the door.

Ditch it and wait for official news, simples.

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
Pezbuck":3bd25voe said:
Why no tweets about Adams' whereabouts for example?

Because it is none of our business. Pre-season begins today. As long as DA turns up I don't give a monkeys where he's been. Why can't the guy be allowed to take a well earned break?

And why are we only concerned about Adam's? They haven't tweeted the whereabouts of Jervis or Bradley either - have they gone missing or slunk off to another club?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Look at the state of us after a few snippets or clues.

It's brilliant

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Twitter account has improved a lot, the silly player nicknames have gone and the immature approach has also disappeared although it is still aimed at the younger fans.

As a tool for promoting the club it is excellent but it needs to get better supplying straightforward information. During the Liverpool and Wycombe ticket fiasco the Twitter account went strangely silent at just the time fans needed information. That's when it was needed the most.

It's a lot better than most other clubs.

Aug 2, 2011
I do not do Faceprat or Twitter. Both are mechanisms for gathering data about people their interests etcetc.

However if it amuses some so be it. For those who do use the former in particular be aware of the vast store of data that can be held about you and it is not 100% secure from hackers or being sold to interested parties.

Jul 29, 2010
Pootle's Pom Pom":2atuds45 said:
Pezbuck":2atuds45 said:
Why no tweets about Adams' whereabouts for example?

Because it is none of our business. Pre-season begins today. As long as DA turns up I don't give a monkeys where he's been. Why can't the guy be allowed to take a well earned break?

And why are we only concerned about Adam's? They haven't tweeted the whereabouts of Jervis or Bradley either - have they gone missing or slunk off to another club?
As I have suggested elsewhere, I can see DA not being there today either. It's just weigh in day, testing day and give out the training kit day, the technical and coaching staff can handle that. He strikes me as the sort of manager who likes to keep a professional distance from his squad, not a hugger and bum slapper of a manager.

But if he doesn't appear today I can see a meltdown in the conspiracy theory community and it's precisely the facetw@tter mentality that fuels that mindset. It's gotta be now now, NOW! or there must be some sort of malevolent explanation.