Argyles pitch dimentions | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyles pitch dimentions

Dec 13, 2013
I seen on the website football-stadiums.co.uk that Argyle will will have the second largest pitches in League One this season 105m x 72m. Shrewsbuy's pitch is largest at a massive 110m x 75m. I don't how how accurate the website is, but given our home record last season compared to the away record is our pitch to big?
I see from the Herald article dated 18/8/16 that Derek Adams reduced the size of the pitch last season by 2 metres each way, "I feel it will give us that added advantage. We have got very good footballers who like to play in tight areas. "It allows us to move the ball quicker if the opposition want to try to close us down." But the article does also say that pitch was larger than many others in League 2 last season.
It's bizarre how we managed to play better on smaller pitches, but clubs performed better against us on a bigger pitch. Was this down Derk Adams tatics & team selection at home or did the players not enjoy playing on our large pitch? Seeing the way we played away last, by playing tight, closing teams down and then catching them on the break I think we should further reduce the size of our pitch. I know this would reduce that amount of flowing open football for the purists, but its results that count & I personally enjoyed our away performances far more than a majority of the home ones. But that's probably more down to the amazing atmosphere of away games & also our results. However I would still be interested to know others thoughts?

Mar 11, 2014
My take on it is this - on a big pitch, you have more space to hit on the break. As the home team we are expected to have more possession, therefore more susceptible to being hit on the break. So Adams reduces the pitch size to help the defence. Didn't see nearly enough home games in the last two seasons to know if this was a pattern or if it worked. Anyone got a view on this?

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
When you have the ball you want as much space as possible. Without the ball to be as compact as possible. At home you'd hope we have the ball more often than the opposition. Be positive. Make the pitch as big as possible.