The Full Back Postions | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Full Back Postions

Mar 14, 2009
In a 4-2-3-1 system or any system with 1 up front I think attacking full backs are key.

Whilst Miller and Sawyer are dependable I do feel their lack of pace both for defending and attacking will be an issue in league 1.

I am not sure we will bring in any cover given we can only spread our budget so far. I do feel Argyle are injecting pace and skill with the forward line by some of the signings but yet again the full back areas are being neglected could be a major headache come the start of the season.

You could slightly worry where the lack of goals will come from but I think last season this was our biggest issue and it could be once more.

Jul 3, 2013
Only 3 teams scored more than us in League 2 and only 2 teams Conceded less so not too shabby at all. We conceded more without Miller after he got Injured against Liverpool but a couple decent touches and more forward movement made Threlkend look much better than he actually is at full back, he is ok as full back cover.

Jun 11, 2012
Threlkeld's our right-back for sure.

Left-back's more of an issue; I think Sawyer might struggle.

Mar 23, 2008
Would expect another pacey full back to compete with Sawyer. Threlkeld is a great full back with Miller a back up.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
davie nine":1nmh52f9 said:
HarlHM":1nmh52f9 said:
Threlkeld's our right-back for sure.

Left-back's more of an issue; I think Sawyer might struggle.
I agree about RB position but not too sure that DA does.

I think Threlkeld perhaps had a few injury issues last season, there's surely no way a manager as good as DA would leave him out based on ability/performances.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I actually thought Sawyer showed real signs of improvement going forward last season, looked a bit sharper and his crossing much more accurate. I'd be comfortable with having him as our first choice LB provided we also bring someone in to compete.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Cobi Budge":2d488d8d said:
I actually thought Sawyer showed real signs of improvement going forward last season, looked a bit sharper and his crossing much more accurate. I'd be comfortable with having him as our first choice LB provided we also bring someone in to compete.

This for me. Seemed much improved offensively later in the season. Put in a couple of "world-class" crosses in one game I saw ( but can't remember which one it was! :doh: ) .

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
warney":3vc9qgp0 said:
Cobi Budge":3vc9qgp0 said:

This for me. Seemed much improved offensively later in the season. Put in a couple of "world-class" crosses in one game I saw ( but can't remember which one it was! :doh: ) .

His cross for Jake's goal at Pompey was brilliant , probably assist of the season.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1yhvw8bp said:

He did. Him and Oscar aren't bad Fullbacks to have, and Miller isn't as bad as is made out. I would still like to see another RB and LB arrive. Competition for places is needed, Sawyer can't have a sure fire position (If he does sign as he said he would)

Apr 30, 2011
With regard to Sawyer, his crossing is excellent for this level. He does lack a bit of pace but it isn't essential to be pacey in order to be considered an attacking full back. Gary Neville never had any pace but fitness, intelligence in terms of timing and positioning and a decent cross made him an attacking asset from full back. Sawyer shows many of the same qualities in my opinion but obviously at a lower level than GN.