Brighton fan here - how do you rate your chances next year? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brighton fan here - how do you rate your chances next year?

H

hanover gull

Once again, congratulations for finally getting out of Div 2 although I see you chaps did the same as us and blew the chance for the title. We've more in common than we'll ever know!

Just looking at the league and Plymouth are clearly one of the big guns and I'm hoping you can bully your way out of Div 1 into the Championship at the first attempt. There's a few other big clubs but Blackpool and Blackburn are basket-cases at the moment and if they don't sort out their ownership issues I can see them struggling. Donny R, Bristol Rovers and Pompey look like being your main rivals, I'd say - MK Dons really were a flash in the pan, Bradford flatter to deceive and thereafter I can't see much of a challenge from anyone else. And the other good news is that the furthest team looks like Fleetwood rather than Morecambe, Hartlepool and Car-bloody-lisle.

I fear Brighton will struggle big time in the PL so it may be that we go straight back down and if we do, would be great to get the Brighton v Argyle fixture back up.

I was wondering what you all think of your chances for 17/18? Do you want a year of consolidation and then really go for it or go all out this year?

Best of luck and make sure there's plenty of pasties for when Brighton next visit soon!

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
And congratulations to you guys for getting out of the Championship! The one feat we still haven't overcome.

Personally I think a mid table finish would be good for us but as you saw with Barnsley not long ago (in League one actually!) if a team goes on a well timed winning streak anything can happen. I think most teams in League One are on quite a level playing field. All of the teams have a similar standard of player bar teams like Blackburn, Wigan and the like.

I think you'll do better in PL than you think! It'll be a long old slog but I reckon you will just do it. Let's see what your summer additions are like! Good luck and fingers crossed we will see you up there in a few years.

Jul 29, 2010
I'd take comfy mid table but in all honesty, much like last season, with wholesale changes in playing staff we don't really know where we'll sit in the scheme of things until a month or two into it. If Derek can find the right blend again, we could trouble the playoffs for a while.

From the last time we went through this league, and how last season's promoted teams fared, we know the step up isn't vast (unlike yours!) so there isn't any great worry we'll struggle.

No great expectations as we find our feet.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Most clubs who get promoted to League One from Two usually do ok from the off - the gap in quality isn't the same as between League One and the Championship. I think we'll be ok, bottom half of the table, but never really in danger of relegation.

Mar 23, 2008
Play offs I reckon, or at least a little flirt with them! Good luck to BHA and excited to see you in the prem, richly deserved.

A

Anonymous

Mid table consolidation for me. Taking into account teams coming down and those that just missed out on going up this year, I think anywhere around 12th would be a good finish and base to progress

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Far too early to say with a load of new signings still required.

You can only give an opinion when the squad is assembled anything else at this stage is just speculative wishful thinking

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'd take a mid table finish, lay a foundation to build on, but I have to say I'm worried about some of our fans getting vocally impatient and restless if we're not in the top 7 at the half way point.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
LeonTheGreen":n3xrcyvq said:
At the minute I think we'll struggle, but we haven't completed our signings yet.

With the squad as it stands your pessimism is justified in my opinion.
I have supported Argo too long to have optimism !
I think I would reserve judgement until we complete signings. Must be some loan players to come in for us surely.

I will be at Peterboro come whatever though.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Cobi Budge":23be55is said:
I'd take a mid table finish, lay a foundation to build on, but I have to say I'm worried about some of our fans getting vocally impatient and restless if we're not in the top 7 at the half way point.

and that impatience would be absurd.