Could fans help Home Park achieve stage 2? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Could fans help Home Park achieve stage 2?

Mar 21, 2008
I understand this may not be to everyone's taste and I may get shot down for even mentioning it but bearing in mind that this is a discussion forum and the article that I've just read from Simon Hallett on the Herald website a thought came to mind.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/plymouth- ... story.html

Hallett states that stage 2 (which would make the grandstand development with filled-in corners incredible in my opinion) would cost less than a million pounds, and that it wouldn't be able to done for a while given that the regulations for safe standing stlll need to be looked at (which buys a lot of time).

As fans we've shown via the green taverners and even auctions on here that we can raise a lot of money (even though a million is admittedly a big total) and I feel with something so important and potentially fantastic and some good fund raising ideas fans may really get on board and over a long period of time it may be achievable.

Wouldn't it be an amazing thing in years and even decades to come to be able to say we either funded or helped with the building of stage 2?

Dec 4, 2011
I have thought about this before as I'm an optimistic person.

I think it would be reasonable to expect us to raise £100,000. Providing the proper mechanisms are put in place, money could be safeguarded and returned to us if it doesn't go ahead.

Dreams can become reality.

Jun 7, 2006
If 2000 people pledged an average of £50 that's £100k. Which may be achievable but is still a long way short of £1 million; which in itself seems an optimistic cost estimate. I would certainly contribute to such a scheme but at most it will likely be a contribution as not all fans will want to do so.

Mar 14, 2009
Rob_GT4":1aoa1rva said:
I understand this may not be to everyone's taste and I may get shot down for even mentioning it but bearing in mind that this is a discussion forum and the article that I've just read from Simon Hallett on the Herald website a thought came to mind.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/plymouth- ... story.html

Hallett states that stage 2 (which would make the grandstand development with filled-in corners incredible in my opinion) would cost less than a million pounds, and that it wouldn't be able to done for a while given that the regulations for safe standing stlll need to be looked at (which buys a lot of time).

As fans we've shown via the green taverners and even auctions on here that we can raise a lot of money (even though a million is admittedly a big total) and I feel with something so important and potentially fantastic and some good fund raising ideas fans may really get on board and over a long period of time it may be achievable.

Wouldn't it be an amazing thing in years and even decades to come to be able to say we either funded or helped with the building of stage 2?

I think this is a great idea. The fact Hallett says the costs would be under 1 million says to me in today's society this is achievable with fund raising.

Now of course it won't happen over night to reach a sum of money like that, but why can't we get this idea at least started?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Why? Because it's virtually impossible, that's why.

Plus, I can't help but feel £1million for Phase two is not right. It must be a lot, lot more, surely?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Wouldn't the stage two estimate of less than £1m be linked to safe standing as obviously their wouldn't need to be seats to pay for. If safe standing doesn't happen the costs would be incrementally more surely?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
If its genuinely less than a million then in the scheme of things its not a lot more (I know, I know, "only a million", but its all relative). If that means that the ground is complete, the size reflects ambition, and the improved fan experience extends to the Mayflower with a full roof, then a million is bargs.

I still find it strange that the club present the majority of development images of the ground post phase 2, certainly all of the pitchside mock ups, yet then say that stage 2 is unachievable for the foreseeable.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
FC United of Manchester raised £2 million for their ground in no time at all. They issued community shares, which with an arrangement with HMRC attracted 30% in tax relief.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Until there is a law change, there is no point in pushing Stage 2. As the man says, there is no point in fitting the corners with seating, only to rip them out if and when safe standing becomes an option.

Having said that, as a football fan of 50 years I believe that the majority of football supporters who prefer to stand would rather that option be behind the goals rather than in the corners.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
For me, and this may be unfashionable, I'd say we shouldn't do phase 2 until we (the fans) earn it. I don't want a 20k capacity ground with 8k of unfilled white elephant. If we do phase 1, get another promotion, find queues tickets in the Championship (in which our first season we only averaged 16000 odd) that creates an irresistible logic to complete phase 2 for sound rather than fanciful reasons or aesthetic concerns, fair play. The fans will have created the context in which they deserve it. Til then......

Dec 4, 2011
This has got me thinking that along with the auctions that IJN organises we could also set up a fund that is collected throughout the season. We could then hold a vote as to what the club do with it - stadium maintenance, academy, player recruitment etc.
I'm sure there are others out there who would be happy to give money to the club in addition to ticket purchases in order to ensure that prices for things like tickets, programmes, cups of tea don't have to increase.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Phase 2 sounds as unclear as say costing and decommissioning the North Sea oil infrastructure.

I suspect there is some disservice done here too to the hard work which goes into fundraising. For a known clear cause, say 10 minutes dedication/work for every pound raised might get you by, at a guess. To raise the sums mentioned above, for a very unclear cause, well...

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
It's frustrating seeing so many other clubs in top class finished stadiums. Maybe the Bristol City game is perfect timing? The directors will see what can be achieved by a club with a higher ambition.

Aug 10, 2006
do they not do grants anymore from sport England or what ever it is called now or the lottery to top up the 5 million.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
The Duke":2x0i1dhx said:
It's frustrating seeing so many other clubs in top class finished stadiums. Maybe the Bristol City game is perfect timing? The directors will see what can be achieved by a club with a higher ambition.

And a billionaire owner.