Adams the best ? I don't think so. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams the best ? I don't think so.

Jan 27, 2012
Just looked at the Herald and nearly spat my cup of tea out.

Derek Adams the best Argyle manager in 30 years ? Talk about short memories.

He's done well in getting Argyle promoted in second place- but it IS the basement division of league football. Sturrock won this league with a RECORD points total and then WON the division above to take the team into the Championship (even though he left with a few matches to go).

Nor do I agree that Adam's team play better football. They are essentially defensive minded with one up front. Adams has to achieve rather more to convince me he is the best.

As I say, the individual fan the Herald are quoting has a very short memory.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Management is getting harder and harder, there are more things to take into consideration, tactically, scientifically, financially etc. The standard of League 2 now is probably leaps and bounds ahead of the standard of League 2 when we were last in it, our team from last season would, in my opinion, beat Sturrock's promotion winning team. Sturrock is obviously a club legend but nostalgia is often a blinding thing.

Jan 27, 2012
I don't think there is a great deal of difference in managing now than there was in 2004. It was still very difficult to win a league. What you are saying is a bit like dismissing Alex Ferguson's achievements because they took place in the past.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Behave. No way was last season's team so much better than Sturrocks. Very hard to compare it but to list big words to say it's got harder is nonsense. Sturrocks team went on to win league 1 within 2 years. Alot to live up to yet.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
gaspargomez":25kqgh50 said:
I don't think there is a great deal of difference in managing now than there was in 2004. It was still very difficult to win a league. What you are saying is a bit like dismissing Alex Ferguson's achievements because they took place in the past.

It's relative.

I don't really like to compare teams/managers in the present to those 10 years or so ago, when the game was different in a number of ways. Sturrock achieved a lot as did Ferguson obviously, but those achievements should be compared to the achievements of others at the time, just as DA's achievements should be compared to others in the present.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
CornishPaul":2ocu8pvv said:
Behave. No way was last season's team so much better than Sturrocks. Very hard to compare it but to list big words to say it's got harder is nonsense. Sturrocks team went on to win league 1 within 2 years. Alot to live up to yet.

It's a lot to live up to record wise I agree, but it's almost to compare managerial ability regardless of the records due to the differences in the game/management, in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2009
I'm a big fan of Adams and hope he's here for many years to come, he'd be in my top 3 Argyle managers in my time following. But... there's no way he is better than Sturrock mark 1 yet, for one thing his in game tactical adjustments & subsitutions were superior, and no way this years team was better than 2001/02

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
CornishPaul":o88ltwve said:
Game management.......if boring us to tears must weeks at home is game management then yes, Adams wins hands down.

I put a dash inbetween game and management, meaning differences in the game and management, not the overused phrase.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Saddening suggestion, that the master of lower league negative tactics would be our best over such a period, but can't see the article online.

If savoring such tactics as a form of entertainment, surely the patron saint of anti-football Mr Poolis would be da man.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":36t2yv8m said:
gaspargomez":36t2yv8m said:

It's relative.

I don't really like to compare teams/managers in the present to those 10 years or so ago, when the game was different in a number of ways. Sturrock achieved a lot as did Ferguson obviously, but those achievements should be compared to the achievements of others at the time, just as DA's achievements should be compared to others in the present.

'You dont like to compare'. Yet that is exactly what you did! :facepalm: Definitely nonsense to say this team would beat Sturrock's. How many would get in to that team? Carey, Bradley and.............

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
third earl of jean":2rclfie4 said:
I'm a big fan of Adams and hope he's here for many years to come, he'd be in my top 3 Argyle managers in my time following. But... there's no way he is better than Sturrock mark 1 yet, for one thing his in game tactical adjustments & subsitutions were superior, and no way this years team was better than 2001/02
.....every word ... :iagree:

Aug 2, 2011
We recently had a thread about ego size - seems to me that many posters on this site have personal ego size problems.

Nov 2, 2004
Sturrock would have liked Threlkeld and Jake.The massive advantage Sturrock had was Evans and Frio they were a class apart.However I am not sure that makes Sturrock a better manager,would he have got our current team promoted ? Adams did.Adams would definetly have got Sturrocks team promoted,they were a class apart for this division.