Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged)

Feb 28, 2016
Interesting news, information would seem kosher.

Good luck to all the lads. Come what may, whatever decisions are made they will have my backing to the hilt. Whether they accept what's offerd (here or elsewhere) or not as the case maybe They will have my full support and respect

ETA My support, respect and backing is for the lads descicions not necessarily those of managements in terms of retaining/releasing, I will reserve judgement on that until I see what decisions they have made.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Mark , your support for the young lads is commendable , however must you use every post to make digs at the management , i would guess that your judgement , support , respect and backing matters very little to the people who make decisions on these lads future , if these boys are good enough , which i genuinely hope some of them are , then i believe they will be offered a deal , either full time or development .
Your continued digs at the management just come across as bitterness .

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The bottom line is - if they're any good they'll make it.

Feb 28, 2016
DartingtonPilgrim":3p7llwfs said:
Mark , your support for the young lads is commendable , however must you use every post to make digs at the management , i would guess that your judgement , support , respect and backing matters very little to the people who make decisions on these lads future , if these boys are good enough , which i genuinely hope some of them are , then i believe they will be offered a deal , either full time or development .
Your continued digs at the management just come across as bitterness .

I'm sure they don't care a jot what I think but that's true of every single opinion posted on Pasoti on every single topic

I have been critical of management on a number of posts but I don't believe it is anywhere near every post I would also argue that reserving judgementis not a "dig" at mmanagement!

Feb 28, 2016
Mark Pedlar":1ln35n36 said:
The bottom line is - if they're any good they'll make it.

My views are well known, as are yours, so our chips are down Mr Pedlar. Only time will now tell.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mark comes over as genuinely interested and concerned about the young lads who are coming to a crossroads in their lives/careers. I am more concerned about the tone and attitude of Green Army 2000 on another similar thread.

As I understand it, all of our Academy lads are given every opportunity to study for an alternative career if their ambitions are not realised.

Sep 18, 2010
Chaps, let's please not predict the outcome for these lads on here. Be a bit sensitive as some of the lads and their relatives read this site and it's a worrying enough time anyway without having to read an outsiders view.

Thank you.

Jun 22, 2015
Understand your view Superguy, but these lads have had these decisions made on them every year for the last 9 years, are more resilient than maybe we think...but this is football, they have to get used to it.

Sidelines 1 - Im going Rose and Fletcher pro deals. Maybe some interest elsewhere for Fletcher.
Battle and Bentley pro development deals (both to decline) , but also another 3 pro development deals, not 100% who though.

Based purely on guess work :scarf:

Good luck to them all

Feb 28, 2016
Pele10":196v5epf said:
Understand your view Superguy, but these lads have had these decisions made on them every year for the last 9 years, are more resilient than maybe we think...but this is football, they have to get used to it.

Sidelines 1 - Im going Rose and Fletcher pro deals. Maybe some interest elsewhere for Fletcher.
Battle and Bentley pro development deals (both to decline) , but also another 3 pro development deals, not 100% who though.

Based purely on guess work :scarf:

Good luck to them all

I would completely agree with every word of that, including Fletcher possibly going elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Battle would attract interest from elsewhere either. Particularly if scouts have come looking at Fletcher the last couple of months, since his apprentice of the year nomination, for me at least Battle has been edging it for the last couple of months, I think he has looked that little more sharper and more of a threat. I would hasten to add that's always been the case with those two, for a couple of months you think Battle looks the better but then Fletcher will look the better for a couple of months before Battle is edging it again. All season there has been only the width of a fag paper between them and when you consider it over the course of two years there is nothing to separate them now.

I think Fletcher (for the same reason I think Rose for the pro over Bentley.) They have been involved with the first team more recently than the other two. I'm not necessarily saying that's my opinion of what should happen just what I think will. Personally I honestly think if I had to decide between Fletcher and Battle I would resign, either they should both get a pro or both get dev-pro or neither should get either. I would be interested in the reasoning for not offering contracts of equal value if that is to be the case because they're both really good lads as well so I would be surprised if there is any problem with attitude or application.

I also think Dan Rooney has to be in the mix for a pro. You can't overlook him being an international in his age group regardless of what country its still a prestigious achievement. We of course only speculate on Bentley/Rose/ Fletcher/Battle being pros because two have already made debuts and the other two have been pushing them and been involved with the first team already. I think everyone in this year group could have a real crack at a pro so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come from nowhere to get a pro, as Adams looks to build for next season he might not want a striker or centre-half.

To cut to the chase I think the smart money is on what Pele says but I wouldn't rule anyone out and at the same time I don't think anyone is that nailed on. Whilst it would be a shame to "lose" any to another club, I think it could be a good thing in that it could see more of them afforded opportunities here, as someone who wants as many of them as possible to be in the strongest position possible to kick on, it would be no bad thing if one or two got deals elsewhere.

As for the Development contracts I honestly think they are all at the very least worthy of one. So however many the budget allows for after the Pro deals are taken up and I would be happy with whoever filled them.

Whilst I understand the reasons why they would turn down Pro-Dev, firstly I believe the club can make life difficult for them to sign above a certain level for three seasons and after last seasons shambles, I hope we wouldn't put obstacles in front of anyone for turning down the development offers. Secondly I also think whilst it maybe tempting to turn them down, in the cold hard reality choice of, another year paid (however little) for playing football, still keeping your hand in, never knowing your luck or working in Tescos or labouring on a building site it becomes a bit harder to turn it down if that's your only options. You could end up thinking "what if" for the rest of your life. Personally if it was me and I had got as far as they all have I think I would want to exhaust every avenue/possibility to avoid regretting it later, knowing I took every chance possible to me. I do however fully, understand why others might not think that and that's why I've always said I would respect and support whatever they decide because its them that have to live with the consequences.

Jul 6, 2011
I think if they let Rooney, Battle and Fletcher go that will be a decision that will come back and bite them.