The extra prize money for finishing top is …. (Merged) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The extra prize money for finishing top is …. (Merged)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
…. £0, nothing, zilch!

There are no ladder payments in the EFL/League Two and no financial difference in finishing first or second or 24th.
Regardless of finishing position all teams receive a "basic award" of £472,000 each plus a solidarity payment from the Premier League of £430,000 each.
Newport will get paid the same as Argyle at the end of the season.

The reward for winning the league is obviously a trophy, making history and the prestige. :thumbs:

The gulf between the Championship and L2 is huge – Championship clubs each receive £2.08m basic award and £4.3m solidarity payment.
In League One it’s £677k and £645k, so next season (if we are promoted) we'll receive an extra £420k in total compared to this season.

Mar 14, 2009
The problem is player wages as you go higher up.

We just haven't been able to compete. Even if we do match an offer the location means normally the player will choose a more "central" location.

6M sounds a lot but when you think what Aston Villa and Newcastle have outlaid on players you wonder how Argyle will do more than survive in the championship because that 6m you get is just peanuts to most of those championship clubs.

For me, they talk about the gulf between the premier league and championship getting bigger each season but that could be said of the championship to league one. We have never in our history spent more than 500,000 on a transfer fee.

I don't see how we bridge the gap unless unfortunately we become some rich persons plaything.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
And smaller clubs face the same problems moving from Conference to League 2 and from League 2 to League 1. It's why a clubs youth policy becomes more critical the higher you go. It's the way Southampton and Exeter are punching above their weight and why Argyle should not be worrying about youth just yet.

Mar 14, 2009
Mark Pedlar":1zn0ulw1 said:
And smaller clubs face the same problems moving from Conference to League 2 and from League 2 to League 1. It's why a clubs youth policy becomes more critical the higher you go. It's the way Southampton and Exeter are punching above their weight and why Argyle should not be worrying about youth just yet.

Not sure about the gap between league 2 and the conference. I think a number of clubs like Lincoln, Forest Green etc....would more than hold their own as these clubs seem on a stronger, financial footing than how some of the L2 clubs currently are. I doubt there is much difference in standard between the top 10 of the conference and most L2 clubs.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":19vi59ep said:
Mark Pedlar":19vi59ep said:

Not sure about the gap between league 2 and the conference. I think a number of clubs like Lincoln, Forest Green etc....would more than hold their own as these clubs seem on a stronger, financial footing than how some of the L2 clubs currently are. I doubt there is much difference in standard between the top 10 of the conference and most L2 clubs.
I agree that many "Conference/5th tier" clubs seem to be on a stronger financial footing, but that appears to evaporate once they get into the FL. I found this thread interesting and the concept that all clubs get the same is new to me I think it is really fair. What would be really interesting is to see what the wages and operating costs are at each level.

Mar 14, 2009
memory man":2ig19qyb said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ig19qyb said:
Mark Pedlar":2ig19qyb said:

I agree that many "Conference/5th tier" clubs seem to be on a stronger financial footing, but that appears to evaporate once they get into the FL. I found this thread interesting and the concept that all clubs get the same is new to me I think it is really fair. What would be really interesting is to see what the wages and operating costs are at each level.

Burton, Fleetwood, AFC Wimbledon, Oxford & Bristol Rovers have had recent spells and come back stronger. The ones that evaporate are the poorly run clubs...that's why you have Coventry going out of L1 and Leyton Orient out of L2 this season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
memory man":3vujxnxb said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3vujxnxb said:
Mark Pedlar":3vujxnxb said:

The Salary Cost Management Protocol increases slightly in League One, from 55% to 60%.
Which means we can spend up to 60% of our turnover on wages. Turnover is classed as match-day income, commercial/sponsorship income (hence the need for better facilities in the new grandstand) and TV revenue.

The more fans through the gates equals better wages and presumably better players - if we decide to spend up to 60% of turnover on wages.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
As little interest in any football finances as who gets paid what at the local Lidl. The ticket price is the only rightful concern.

But a pretty cheap stunt by these EFL pay limits if seeking to suggest each fan or potential one is obliged to come spend to see better quality football. I mean there's no meter at the training ground getting more effort for each coin slotted in is there!

Jun 2, 2016
Not even sure EFL publish anything on this. I can't find anything. There are pages on how playoff revenue is split out, but nothing on Division Champions. Odd.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I'm not sure of the numbers, but Richard Allan is right - every team in League 2 gets the same amount.