Development players released | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Development players released

G

greengiant1886

Always a shame, especially with Ryan Lane. Once a promising young player who was incredibly unlucky with injuries in the last couple of years.

Feb 28, 2016
Gutted for all of them. It was I felt inevitable but its still disappointing now it has finally happened. Professional- development contracts a complete waste of time. The initiative hasn't "bridged the gap" at all and concerns about their ability to bridge any gap were being flagged up in the first couple months of the season. I think the fact the only one who could easily terminate his time, as he was signing month to month deals, did so after only two months was an indicator they weren't perhaps what had been expected. It was clear from Ben Steer's body language the first half of the season he wasn't impressed, just looked frustrated the whole time.

They weren't even registered, which is why my understanding is why Jordan Bentley was played out of position, in a game which as events turned out may have damaged his prospects here, instead of Bill Palfrey.

Inevitable when Jack wasn't even touted as even cover for Left back, I don't see what more he (or any of them) could have done in the SWPL to have justified even getting to train with the first team, none of them have been doing that. The whole thing has been one long, drawn out, sorry saga.

But Argyle got some talented lads, coaching in the community on the cheap, traveling the county at their own expense to do it. I think in their current guise these contracts are completely unfit for purpose and should be dead in the water, if they offered again its going to have to be with vastly improved Ts & Cs and more commitments to the players written in. If they don't change I sincerely hope we do not penalise anyone who turns one down and stop them from being able to get anything else.

Reality probably is its a bit of both but I think they've been more failed by the club than they've failed themselves. I think they can all hold their heads high, they've remained the consummate professionals in what must have been an extremely frustrating year.

Thanks for the commitment, effort and entertainment lads, its been great watching you grow as players and as people, wish all of them the very best for the future.

Aug 12, 2015
the players were told by adams that they didn't do enough in peninsula games maybe he should watch a few more games especially the ones with so called first team players involved who were definetly not interested they were also told they didn't take there chance when training with the first team I would say that 1 hour a fortnight maybe difficult to impress
personaly I think that all four did them selves proud ben coming back from a nasty back injury ryan out for a year with knee injury jack out of position all year and ankle problems and bill hip flexor problems but all dug in and gave it their all and as mark points out argyle had cheap coaching
I think it will be argyles loss and I wish all fou the best of luck in the future

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Greenarmy1969":jox20u6v said:
the players were told by adams that they didn't do enough in peninsula games maybe he should watch a few more games especially the ones with so called first team players involved who were definetly not interested they were also told they didn't take there chance when training with the first team I would say that 1 hour a fortnight maybe difficult to impress
personaly I think that all four did them selves proud ben coming back from a nasty back injury ryan out for a year with knee injury jack out of position all year and ankle problems and bill hip flexor problems but all dug in and gave it their all and as mark points out argyle had cheap coaching
I think it will be argyles loss and I wish all fou the best of luck in the future

I wish them all the best of luck. If the club has made mistakes, they will, perhaps, get an opportunity elsewhere to prove themselves.

With regard to the first team players 'definitely not interested', I suppose it is possible that they were told 'not to bust a gut' but to ease themselves back into first team contention. If they did give that impression, I am sure that Kevin Nancekivell and Kevin Hodges would have reported back on their attitude.

Concerning the management team not watching Peninsula games, from reports that I have read, they have taken several opportunities to watch games. Certainly, a lot more than John Sheridan did.

Jan 3, 2013
They should take comfort from the fact that Ray Kennedy was released by Port Vale when an apprentice! You young uns.......google him

Jun 22, 2015
these lads should have been released last year, absolute waste of time.

said at the time, we were trying to go toe to toe with Exeter as they offered lads 'proper' professional contracts.

been used by the club as mentioned by MarkMathews earlier, cheap labour.

fast forward to the current 2nd years who are awaiting decisions (no way the 4 lads who get mentioned are all getting contracts). If any of them were your child, would you allow them to go down the pro development route?
Again would love to know if they can walk for free if offered the 'Pro' ( :cry: ) development route.

What worries the most is that if you had a child who was of an academy standard, would you want him signing for us, when you see the lack of success coming through the ranks?

Feb 8, 2005
What worries me more is the fact that we will need better quality players as we climb the League.

If we aren't producing players to get play time in the fourth division, how are we ever going to get some when the Club is in a higher division, thus requiring better quality youngsters.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's a shame and good luck to the lads.

It highlights the problem of young players making it into the first team at a football club but especially in the lower leagues.
I think the biggest issue is that first team managers are only at football clubs for two or three years, if they are lucky, and are judged on results.
You can see why a manager is reluctant to play a raw 17 or 18 year old youth player when he can pick up a 20 or 21 year old loan player or free agent who has a bit of experience and more importantly has the physical attributes to play in League Two.

You can understand Tisdale does well at Exeter with young players because he knows he's safe in his job and has the time to blood young players.

It's the same at Chelsea and Man City etc - young players don't get a chance because first team results are paramount for the manager.

The youth set-up is a long term project whereas a manager's reign is short lived.

Curtis Nelson now seems a freak of nature in the way he physically grew so quick and picked up experience as a 17 year old.

Aug 5, 2016
MarkMatthews":2nbkjgxp said:
Gutted for all of them. It was I felt inevitable but its still disappointing now it has finally happened. Professional- development contracts a complete waste of time. The initiative hasn't "bridged the gap" at all and concerns about their ability to bridge any gap were being flagged up in the first couple months of the season. I think the fact the only one who could easily terminate his time, as he was signing month to month deals, did so after only two months was an indicator they weren't perhaps what had been expected. It was clear from Ben Steer's body language the first half of the season he wasn't impressed, just looked frustrated the whole time.

They weren't even registered, which is why my understanding is why Jordan Bentley was played out of position, in a game which as events turned out may have damaged his prospects here, instead of Bill Palfrey.

Inevitable when Jack wasn't even touted as even cover for Left back, I don't see what more he (or any of them) could have done in the SWPL to have justified even getting to train with the first team, none of them have been doing that. The whole thing has been one long, drawn out, sorry saga.

But Argyle got some talented lads, coaching in the community on the cheap, traveling the county at their own expense to do it. I think in their current guise these contracts are completely unfit for purpose and should be dead in the water, if they offered again its going to have to be with vastly improved Ts & Cs and more commitments to the players written in. If they don't change I sincerely hope we do not penalise anyone who turns one down and stop them from being able to get anything else.

Reality probably is its a bit of both but I think they've been more failed by the club than they've failed themselves. I think they can all hold their heads high, they've remained the consummate professionals in what must have been an extremely frustrating year.

Thanks for the commitment, effort and entertainment lads, its been great watching you grow as players and as people, wish all of them the very best for the future.

I'm not sure if you are someone of some standing in the youth setup, but you should put your thoughts in writing to Derek Adams. You seem very well informed on the young players and could perhaps advise the club how to bring them through with better results.

Every year it seems a tragic waste when we clear these lads out without having given them any chance. And yet Exeter up the road have a conveyor belt continually producing professional quality players. These are kids usually that Argyle didn't want or overlooked as juniors. They are doing something a lot better than us somewhere along the line.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Good luck to the lads. Shame they weren't good enough.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Knibbsworth":923qbhq3 said:
MarkMatthews":923qbhq3 said:

I'm not sure if you are someone of some standing in the youth setup, but you should put your thoughts in writing to Derek Adams. You seem very well informed on the young players and could perhaps advise the club how to bring them through with better results.

Every year it seems a tragic waste when we clear these lads out without having given them any chance. And yet Exeter up the road have a conveyor belt continually producing professional quality players. These are kids usually that Argyle didn't want or overlooked as juniors. They are doing something a lot better than us somewhere along the line.

This is very true. Hopefully the club will address the points raised by Mark who obviously knows his stuff. Given where we have have been in the recent past a truly viable Youth set up is crucial to the clubs future and will ultimately pay for itself if we find another Nelson or as in Exeters case a Watkins. All seems a bit half arsed and short sighted.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PL2 3DQ":2kl23gzr said:
It's a shame and good luck to the lads.

It highlights the problem of young players making it into the first team at a football club but especially in the lower leagues.
I think the biggest issue is that first team managers are only at football clubs for two or three years, if they are lucky, and are judged on results.
You can see why a manager is reluctant to play a raw 17 or 18 year old youth player when he can pick up a 20 or 21 year old loan player or free agent who has a bit of experience and more importantly has the physical attributes to play in League Two.

You can understand Tisdale does well at Exeter with young players because he knows he's safe in his job and has the time to blood young players.

It's the same at Chelsea and Man City etc - young players don't get a chance because first team results are paramount for the manager.

The youth set-up is a long term project whereas a manager's reign is short lived.

Curtis Nelson now seems a freak of nature in the way he physically grew so quick and picked up experience as a 17 year old.
I always felt that the "Cometh the hour, cometh the man" expression applied to Curtis. His emergence was one of the few positives of the financial meltdown we suffered.