Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley)

Oct 11, 2014
Most of the network has gone over to Driver Only Operation now, so it only affects a handful of routes.

Patrik":3hi8hj6v said:
Just a heads up that Southern have another strike day on the day of the Crawley game, shouldn't cause too many problems for anyone coming from London as Thameslink services to Three Bridges are unaffected, a lot of the Southern services to Crawley may still run but might affect anyone coming from West of Chichester and East of Eastbourne as those services are patchy and normally the 1st to be axed on strike days.

Good point. This has completely screwed my complex but perfectly timed plans to visit my old local for a few pints before the game, travelling via a bewildering combination of trains, buses and taxis. It may be fine of course - recent weeks have shown diminishing effects on strike days - but we won't know until the day.

I could always drive of course... :eek: :eek:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Southern.

Mike

Feb 28, 2016
Patrik":2cy3p8mh said:
Just a heads up that Southern have another strike day on the day of the Crawley game, shouldn't cause too many problems for anyone coming from London as Thameslink services to Three Bridges are unaffected, a lot of the Southern services to Crawley may still run but might affect anyone coming from West of Chichester and East of Eastbourne as those services are patchy and normally the 1st to be axed on strike days.

Solidarity to all those taking part in the industrial action. Your future job security and future passenger safety are more important than being able to travel to see a football match by rail IMO. I hope anyone who it affects can seek alternative travel arrangements by bus, coach, private cars etc.

Jan 3, 2013
MarkMatthews":1p5dvlj6 said:
Patrik":1p5dvlj6 said:

Solidarity to all those taking part in the industrial action. Your future job security and future passenger safety are more important than being able to travel to see a football match by rail IMO. I hope anyone who it affects can seek alternative travel arrangements by bus, coach, private cars etc.

Politics.....this us a football site

Moleman

✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2006
Plymouth
Knarf Reprah":2a1x9aqr said:
MarkMatthews":2a1x9aqr said:
Patrik":2a1x9aqr said:

Politics.....this us a football site

Oh Frank! :D For someone who picks up on typos, spelling & grammar so often...

I digress, easy links to Three Bridges and/or Gatwick and from both of those there are the Metrobus Fastway buses to Crawley and the Fastway 10 runs every 6 minutes in both directions and stops right outside the away end of the ground.
Me, I'll be interrupting a caravan weekend on the North Cornish coast with a flight from Newquay to Gatwick and back in time for supper!

Mar 3, 2012
Anybody know if this effects journeys from Plymouth - Paddington and then onwards there to Crawley?

Apr 15, 2016
My intention is Plymouth - Paddington - Victoria - Crawley. The Victoria - Crawley leg is operated by Southern Rail, though they've not confirmed the timetable they're running yet. If what someone said earlier is correct and the Victoria - Crawley route is already 'driver only' then the service shouldn't be affected too much. Just keep an eye on their website it'll tell us soon enough.

I'll be going on that route and reckon there will still be trains running, just perhaps slightly less frequent, meaning that they'll be a bit more crowded but never mind!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
MarkMatthews":94u6fcg1 said:
Patrik":94u6fcg1 said:

It's easy to come out with that suggestion, but try that reasoning on the commuters who use Southern for their daily lives and are heavily reliant on these services. The organisation is inept - and this was before all the troubles started with the more recent bout of strike action.

The way the issue has been shoved under the carpet by the Government has not helped either.

Feb 28, 2016
Emu":2haj5lrk said:
It's easy to come out with that suggestion, but try that reasoning on the commuters who use Southern for their daily lives and are heavily reliant on these services. The organisation is inept - and this was before all the troubles started with the more recent bout of strike action.

The way the issue has been shoved under the carpet by the Government has not helped either.

I made that suggestion so they could avoid all that chaos if at all possible. Anyone who is heavily reliant on those services would surely support the strike, the "inept "organisation is unlikely to improve with even less staff is it? Not that I wish to hijack the thread down a political route.

Oct 11, 2014
ProfGreen":26fe73ad said:
My intention is Plymouth - Paddington - Victoria - Crawley. The Victoria - Crawley leg is operated by Southern Rail, though they've not confirmed the timetable they're running yet. If what someone said earlier is correct and the Victoria - Crawley route is already 'driver only' then the service shouldn't be affected too much. Just keep an eye on their website it'll tell us soon enough.

I'll be going on that route and reckon there will still be trains running, just perhaps slightly less frequent, meaning that they'll be a bit more crowded but never mind!

Or you could do Plymouth - Reading, Reading to Gatwick, then either to Crawley from there or by bus. Miss out London completely and the North Downs line is also GWR.

Oct 11, 2014
Patrik":326094nw said:
Rich McLean":326094nw said:
ProfGreen":326094nw said:

Or you could do Plymouth - Reading, Reading to Gatwick, then either to Crawley from there or by bus. Miss out London completely and the North Downs line is also GWR.

Think there's an engineering block on the Redhill to Reading line that weekend as the journey planner will always send you that way if it's open, I'm coming back from Worthing to Plymouth on the day after and it's routed me via Victoria and Paddington when it normally routes me via Redhill and Guildford.

Ahh that explains it. Via London it is then

MarkMatthews":n01lm3vn said:
Emu":n01lm3vn said:

I made that suggestion so they could avoid all that chaos if at all possible. Anyone who is heavily reliant on those services would surely support the strike, the "inept "organisation is unlikely to improve with even less staff is it? Not that I wish to hijack the thread down a political route.

I am one of those daily commuters. I don't support the strike, and I'm not alone. Far from it.

There's no doubt that Southern/GTR are inept. That will hopefully be addressed at the next franchise time. But the RMT - and even many of their supporters will admit this - have handled things terribly throughout. They have supported archaic working practices to the detriment of ordinary men an women trying to get to work, and kids trying to get to school. If I can get Crawley for an Argyle match then frankly that's a luxury.

Anyway. We're meeting at The Jolly Tanners in Staplefield five miles south of the ground. You'll need a car (or luck with the trains and a taxi) but non-drivers will enjoy great real ale at this pub which has often been voted North Sussex CAMRA Pub of the year.

Mike

Sep 13, 2003
A good alternative is the Thameslink to Three Bridges as there is a good pub called the Snooty Fox right opposite the station which also has a cab rank. It's only a 10 min ride to Crawleys ground from there. The Crawley supporters bar allows away fans too.

If coming by train then "The Snooty Fox" is indeed a good call, as that Fastway 20 bus will take you straight to the ground. Don't expect any real ales or ciders though - hence my recommendation above (where Hogsback TEA should be on amongst others, plus Cheddar Valley Cider, AKA "Chernobyl Juice").

Note that Crawley Station is also a long way from the ground but also has a Fastway Bus (number 10) to the ground. Unless you're on a Horsham/Bognor Regis train though, you'll need to change at Three Bridges. I'd suggest that isn't worth it as the central Crawley pubs aren't that great - although fans of The Cure may want to make the short pilgrimage to "The Railway" (formerly "The Rocket") where they played many of their early gigs : https://whatpub.com/pubs/NSX/066/railway-crawley

Mike

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
MarkMatthews":xqnuu3v5 said:
Emu":xqnuu3v5 said:

Me neither if the truth be known, however, I can tell you from living in an the Southern catchment area, there are very few people who are sympathetic to the workers on strike and the company in general.

As Winchelsea points out, roll on the next franchise bidding war, because that looks like the only way that this is going to be resolved.