Sportsmanship over Gamesmanship (v Doncaster) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sportsmanship over Gamesmanship (v Doncaster)

L

lambanog

Next Sunday's game against Donny, will be critical for both teams, if we manage a win, the table is still relatively open, if we draw, then I believe that will favour Donny, not us, if we lose then they go a huge number of points above us.
It is my thoughts that if Donny win, then it must be accepted that they will finish as champions, and well done to them, and if this is the result, then I wonder if Argyle would be sporting enough to clap them off the field.
Instead of reading about thuggery, the black arts, ball boy shoving, petulant managers etc, I think Argyle showing that sportsmanship still exists would garner huge PR for the club.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Nah. Would seem presumptive, inopportune and unnatural imho to coreograph that nonsense.

Let's just hope their lot end up more gracious in defeat than the dog's abuse they'll be serving up for starters to Luke, Derek et al.

May 22, 2006
Nah, I think a guard of honour when the title is sealed would more than suffice. Conceding the title with 7 games to go is a bit weak and weedy. We want to be sportsmanlike, not submissive.

L

lambanog

Ham Green":s9bgcz9o said:
Nah, I think a guard of honour when the title is sealed would more than suffice. Conceding the title with 7 games to go is a bit weak and weedy. We want to be sportsmanlike, not submissive.

Understand your comments, however reality does come into it. If we are beaten then Donny will move nine points clear of us and their current goal difference which at the present stands at +13 over us will be even more
With just six games left, surely they have to be the clear favorites, barring, and God forbid, they don't have another "Munich" style horror around the corner. Don't misunderstand, I am right behind Argyle and would love us to be champions............ But as I have said reality !

S

Steve_Barrie

In their eyes we didn't do ourselves any favours in terms of sportsmanship when they came to HP earlier in the season. Luke wound them up over the whole penalty incident that led to Coppinger being sent off and they will absolutely tear into Argyle next Sunday.

That aside, I'm sure most Argyle fans are able to appreciate that anything but an away win puts Rovers in a very strong position and many would put away any thoughts of winning the league this year.

We don't need to be positive or negative about that. Just move on because our fate is in our own hands whatever the result.

May 16, 2016
Donny might not go up, they're only in top spot and a few points clear, I've not watched them much but I doubt their performances merit being there.

Mar 8, 2016
Guiri Green":1ab89lqb said:
Donny might not go up, they're only in top spot and a few points clear, I've not watched them much but I doubt their performances merit being there.

Hahaha, go on Guiri Green, you tell them. As for the original post, I understand your sentiments but they wouldn't have guaranteed promotion, so it would seem odd to do a guard of honour, also I have a feeling the players and fans won't be feeling very sporting towards Doncaster rovers after next weeks match. Plus I think we are gonna win anyway.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Doncaster haven't lost at home all season so it's a nailed on Argyle win! :)

Donny will be chomping at the bit after what happened at Home Park in December and they know a win for them will almost certainly mean they win the title.

A win for Argyle will put us just three points behind and the pressure will then be on Donny.

There's no way we will give them applause after the game because they can't win the title on Sunday.

L

lambanog

PAFC94":1zx1king said:
Why would we applaud them off the pitch :facepalm: Typical PASOTI nonsense.

Well then your comments are similar to a lot , all for gamesmanship ... End of thanks for your response.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
It is possible that Doncaster could be automatically promoted in 2 games time, so at the end of next sundays game whatever the result i'm sure both sets of players will shake each others hand, maybe a few hugs :huddle: and say see you next season in Div 1

Nov 4, 2012
lambanog":2j5ob2q1 said:
PAFC94":2j5ob2q1 said:
Why would we applaud them off the pitch :facepalm: Typical PASOTI nonsense.

Well then your comments are similar to a lot , all for gamesmanship ... End of thanks for your response.

So because I don't applaud the opposition off the pitch I'm all for gamesmanship? :funny: :facepalm:

Jul 29, 2010
If a team has already won a league then you applaud them on, that is good form. It still grips my sphincter that Phil Parkinson's Colchester United didn't afford us that age old courtesy in 2002 :furious:

We're a VERY fair and gracious bunch as a rule. I recall when Derby ended our play off hopes and clinched promotion at the Baseball Ground on the last day of the 85/86 (?) season our support put our disappointment aside and stayed to applaud their team's lap of honour. Those sort of actions speak volumes for the integrity of a club.

But UNTIL they've won it, what a ridiculous capitulation it would be to concede defeat when you've not yet lost :crazy:

Apr 1, 2009
This reminds me of the celebration party we all had when Newcastle were promoted at HP. Play their music, let them dance on our pitch etc.

Why we should tell our players to accept second best with seven games to go, I don't comprehend.

It's a no from me.

Dec 3, 2005
I dont care about Doncaster - I don't care if they go on to be the Champions - ALL I care about is that Argyle end up above the team in 4th position.