Banter with away goalies | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Banter with away goalies

Apr 30, 2011
Just reminiscing over a few beers watching Italian football on the box. As a teenager, I was always in the Devonport end (pre the redeveloped stadium - under Shilton/Warnock). I used really enjoy the banter with away goalies. They often gave as good as they got and lot of it was very well natured.

It felt to me at the time that away goalies used to turn up expecting a bit of bants and would almost encourage the Demport to get involved. I usually sit block 7 or Mayflower now and whilst I dont have a season ticket anymore so not at every game, does this still go on? It feels to me that it doesnt happen anymore but it could be that I don't see it as I'm not in the Demport.

Jan 11, 2017
Don't remember any goalies bantering back but I did find Akinfenwa very amusing in the recent home game. The Devonport end we're shouting 'you fat b' at him, so he raised his shirt & patted his belly - for which he got applauded. Good sport!

Jun 22, 2005
Think it was Brentfords keeper back in the late 90s who sticks out in my mind. Was up for it with the Devonport and even though they were losing 2 nil still carried on. When we sang keeper what's the score he showed 2 nil then made a crying face. Clapped us at the end and we did the same. Not too many like that these days, all too bleddy serious :lol:

Dec 8, 2011
John achtenberg was a good one with tranmere I remember goading him during warm up 2 mins later pings the ball into the grandstand hits me hahahaha

Aug 5, 2016
Cameron Belford is a,bit of a wind up merchant. I saw him as a neutral playing for Tamworth and he was winding the away fans up a treat. Without turning his head he was sticking his middle fingers up to the away fans and making other gestures while all of the officials had eyes on the ball. The away fans were raging! As a neutral I thought it was hilarious. I wasn't surprised when someone told me he was the poor soul that a fan jumped on the pitch and cracked in the mouth in the Bury v Chesterfield match a few years ago.

Feb 24, 2008
I remember the Newport County keeper mooned at us in the Devonport End back in the early 80's during a reserve game whilst we were giving him banter. Think it was Mark Kendall ?

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
It's gotta be Ashley Bayes hasn't it?!

Always had a laugh with Devonport End despite the scoreline and the banter he received! (and he got it bad!)

To be fair, he was quite a good keeper too!

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
Was at Doncaster away one Tuesday night in the 80's with about 20 fans in the away end. We had Les Sealey in goal. Everytime he kicked it it went straight into touch. I asked him if he could kick straight and he told me to f#@+ off!

Apr 30, 2011
Adam Dyer":1qn9uqa2 said:
It's gotta be Ashley Bayes hasn't it?!

Always had a laugh with Devonport End despite the scoreline and the banter he received! (and he got it bad!)

To be fair, he was quite a good keeper too!

Asssssssshhhhhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy

Feb 2, 2007
I remember Alan Julian getting some fair stick, I think it was at Griffin Park- it was mainly around high pitched calling of his surname. I remember it because it visibly really affected his performance (for the worse) and you don't see that much!