Callum Rose | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Callum Rose

Mar 8, 2016
Jumping the gun a bit here as we don't know the extent of Bradley's injury, however if he is out for the next match or two should Derek consider throwing Rose in at the deep end? Some times it's the best way. Not convinced with bully at all, maybe a chance to get one of our own some experience or would it be to much of a risk at this stage? Thoughts?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I thought Bulvitis was too impulsive last night, regularly racing out of the back line to attempt a tackle. It was almost as though he was too eager to please which can happen after a long spell on the sidelines. Overall the stats speak well for him when he has been involved - DA and co. need to get him to relax and sit tight and he'll be fine.

Jun 2, 2016
Frank_Butcher":29upe3c8 said:
I thought Bulvitis was too impulsive last night, regularly racing out of the back line to attempt a tackle. It was almost as though he was too eager to please which can happen after a long spell on the sidelines. Overall the stats speak well for him when he has been involved - DA and co. need to get him to relax and sit tight and he'll be fine.

Look back to Pompey's first goal against us. Instead of shepherding Chaplin away he dived in, got beaten and he laid on the goal. Got to stand up and play percentages.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
I don't think this is the time to throw in a youngster like Rose. I understand your thinking but, if he was a full back, or winger, or even a striker, I would consider it, but centre back is a position where experience gets you through a lot of situations and throwing him in now, could break him... Just my opinion.

Apr 1, 2009
MajorGreen":1dpw0mx4 said:
I don't think this is the time to throw in a youngster like Rose. I understand your thinking but, if he was a full back, or winger, or even a striker, I would consider it, but centre back is a position where experience gets you through a lot of situations and throwing him in now, could break him... Just my opinion.

Take your point, but when is a good time? When the team is struggling? It's no good waiting until we are 5 unbeaten with some easy looking fixtures to come, because that situation is unlikely to arise. If they're good enough, age doesn't matter.

Feb 28, 2016
I was saying around Christmas time, on threads about Osborne, that I felt Callum was a better option and how I felt we would start to hear a lot more about him in the near future as he had been quietly impressing a lot of people in the SWPL and U18s with consistent performances, he had been knocking on the door for a while and managed to position himself as a viable alternative to Jordan Bentley when looking at rewarding apprentices with first team experiences.

I like both of them but you would have to say with the recent inclusion on the bench against Liverpool and the trip to Spain, Adams must be favouring him at the moment. I said on another thread I would have no worries about any of our second year apprentices playing in the first team and there certainly isn't any reservations from me with Callum. He has a great temperament, calm and measured, seems mentally strong, I don't think this will faze him, has always looked assured and disciplined whether he has been playing in a centre-half partnership with his peer Bentley, one of the first year apprentices or with the pros. I felt particularly away to Parkway he looked the pro and Karleigh Osborne looked like the apprentice. He arguably contained Glynn Hobbs (and for those who aren't aware, Glynn Hobbs can be a REAL handful!) In the home fixture against Tavistock at Coach Road better than Bulvitis did in the return fixture over Christmas.

He is not the sort of centre half who needs a compass when he is out of his own half, he come to Argyle as a RB and has the odd exciting run into the oppositions box down that side, he can put in a decent cross or take players on and get a shot off. Attacks corners and free kicks well, seen a couple bullet headers and a couple, well placed, daisy cutters. His defending attributes are exemplary and he has good all round attitude .

He has had a really good year and for my money is probably our most improved apprentice, it all looks to be coming good for him at the right time he is like a racehorse coming up on the inside in the final furlong in the race for a contract.

All that said however, I do agree with Steve, I do feel Adams is reluctant to give our lads a crack, I say that because I think Purrington was only very reluctantly given a run and I don't think Adams was too disappointed when he left. Despite concerns about the full back positions we don't even hear first team management talking about Bill Palfrey or Jack Calver, Rooney taking over the Harvey role and now being farmed out. Fletcher and Battle are another two names that have been talked about a bit more this season and not just by the likes of me and HC. We just have so many strikers at the moment I cant see them near the first team for the rest of this season at least. But Adams must see something in Callum, short and questionably shaky in that department, if anyone is going to break into the team you would have to say he looks the most likely.

I agree with xmastree, there will always be reasons not to play them, going for promotion, going for play-offs, not wanting to get drawn into a relegation scrap or being in one, those situations basically cover your entire season, play them in a last day of the season dead rubber and if they prove themselves the fact it was only a dead rubber game is used as an argument against them, that they haven't proved anything and shouldn't be considered until the next dead rubber! Its a never ending circle and if everyone took that view no one would ever progress anywhere. Its a case of they need to be chucked in when ready, regardless of the position of the team. Its more favourable if its into a winning team but the kids Leyton Orient had chucked in for them last night didn't do half bad did they? Say what you want about Exeter and I know they looked nothing special against us but their young side must have a fair bit of fight and character to turn their season around.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
MarkMatthews":aa7ugrv1 said:
I was saying around Christmas time, on threads about Osborne, that I felt Callum was a better option and how I felt we would start to hear a lot more about him in the near future as he had been quietly impressing a lot of people in the SWPL and U18s with consistent performances, he had been knocking on the door for a while and managed to position himself as a viable alternative to Jordan Bentley when looking at rewarding apprentices with first team experiences.

I like both of them but you would have to say with the recent inclusion on the bench against Liverpool and the trip to Spain, Adams must be favouring him at the moment. I said on another thread I would have no worries about any of our second year apprentices playing in the first team and there certainly isn't any reservations from me with Callum. He has a great temperament, calm and measured, seems mentally strong, I don't think this will faze him, has always looked assured and disciplined whether he has been playing in a centre-half partnership with his peer Bentley, one of the first year apprentices or with the pros. I felt particularly away to Parkway he looked the pro and Karleigh Osborne looked like the apprentice. He arguably contained Glynn Hobbs (and for those who aren't aware, Glynn Hobbs can be a REAL handful!) In the home fixture against Tavistock at Coach Road better than Bulvitis did in the return fixture over Christmas.

He is not the sort of centre half who needs a compass when he is out of his own half, he come to Argyle as a RB and has the odd exciting run into the oppositions box down that side, he can put in a decent cross or take players on and get a shot off. Attacks corners and free kicks well, seen a couple bullet headers and a couple, well placed, daisy cutters. His defending attributes are exemplary and he has good all round attitude .

He has had a really good year and for my money is probably our most improved apprentice, it all looks to be coming good for him at the right time he is like a racehorse coming up on the inside in the final furlong in the race for a contract.

All that said however, I do agree with Steve, I do feel Adams is reluctant to give our lads a crack, I say that because I think Purrington was only very reluctantly given a run and I don't think Adams was too disappointed when he left. Despite concerns about the full back positions we don't even hear first team management talking about Bill Palfrey or Jack Calver, Rooney taking over the Harvey role and now being farmed out. Fletcher and Battle are another two names that have been talked about a bit more this season and not just by the likes of me and HC. We just have so many strikers at the moment I cant see them near the first team for the rest of this season at least. But Adams must see something in Callum, short and questionably shaky in that department, if anyone is going to break into the team you would have to say he looks the most likely.

I agree with xmastree, there will always be reasons not to play them, going for promotion, going for play-offs, not wanting to get drawn into a relegation scrap or being in one, those situations basically cover your entire season, play them in a last day of the season dead rubber and if they prove themselves the fact it was only a dead rubber game is used as an argument against them, that they haven't proved anything and shouldn't be considered until the next dead rubber! Its a never ending circle and if everyone took that view no one would ever progress anywhere. Its a case of they need to be chucked in when ready, regardless of the position of the team. Its more favourable if its into a winning team but the kids Leyton Orient had chucked in for them last night didn't do half bad did they? Say what you want about Exeter and I know they looked nothing special against us but their young side must have a fair bit of fight and character to turn their season around.
As ever a really good post from our "youth correspondent". Jack Stephens seem to have mixed fortunes recently when he finally got a few starts for Southampton. I saw one game on TV and he really looked out of his depth yet I saw another when he came on as a sub and he was superb. I suppose that it how it is with young lads> From what you saw of Jack when he was younger, how would you compare him and Callum at the same age?

G

greengiant1886

MarkMatthews":1fbbig3i said:

Whilst I appreciate that you see these guys a lot, I don't think that Adams was that reluctant to give Purrington his shot, and certainly he wouldn't be happy to see him go. Sawyer was on the bench of course for a number of weeks before he departed and so would have played more than he did if that were the case.

I agree that we need to provide better chances for our youngsters, however I think any club at this kind of level is going to at least wait until they are on Professional Terms. If they and we have patience, I am sure we will see more of them in the first team, like Purrington was.

As regards to Harvey, he was given his chance and never took it. The proof is in the pudding that he was released by Wrexham and is now playing at Truro.

Having said this though, it is always great to hear how the youngsters are doing and I certainly appreciate getting as much info as we do from you! :thumbs:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I've seen him since few times. He's nowhere near ready to take part in a promotion campaign. None of the current crop are.

Feb 28, 2016
memory man":3kw79jzk said:
MarkMatthews":3kw79jzk said:

As ever a really good post from our "youth correspondent". Jack Stephens seem to have mixed fortunes recently when he finally got a few starts for Southampton. I saw one game on TV and he really looked out of his depth yet I saw another when he came on as a sub and he was superb. I suppose that it how it is with young lads> From what you saw of Jack when he was younger, how would you compare him and Callum at the same age?

Firstly, sorry for the delay in getting back MM, I appreciate your feedback, my keyboard has been playing up so have been avoiding typing long posts until I've got time as it takes me twice as long!

I think it is a case, if we are talking raw talent at that age, very similar. Rose(and for that matter Bentley) IMO, or no better or no worse than the likes of Lloyd Jones or Jack Stephens were. It should come as a surprise to nobody, that young people (and this is a point relevant to any trade) can be spasmodic at their job. There will be those who are simply not good enough and there will be those who consistently perform but I believe the vast majority will be spasmodic at first.

You need to be able to be willing to help and support people through that period. I think Ben Purrington is a fine example of someone who consistently improved over a period of significant and meaningful run of games and reasonable game time (despite the sheer number of "appearances", I don't believe a player such as Harvey was given what I would call reasonable game time in 85% of those games.) I think Ben's early efforts in an Argyle shirt were OK, he was where you expected him to be, no world beater by any means but he wasn't costing us anything either. I think as long as they can hold their own initially and then show improvement over a period of time, then that is fair and reasonable on both club and player.

I know the counter argument will be, comparing the likes of Aaron Bentley and River Allen with the likes of Jones and Stephens, people will say look at the two who were, (all but in name in Bentley's case) released compared to the two who left of their own choice. My argument to that, is the raw talent level was the same but its about the opportunities afforded and grasped (make no mistake of that because these boys have still had to graft for it,) since which have made a difference. If you put two pairs of identical seedlings, in soil in a greenhouse and chucked two out on the pavement in the cold, which do you think will wither and die and which do you think will thrive?

Would good clubs such as Liverpool and Southampton have been prepared to have took the punt on Jones and Stephens, if they couldn't have got them in a fire sale, if they had to pay the usual compensation? For certain, we will never know but my money is on it being unlikely, fair play and good luck to them but I think they would, even admit to (from their point of view, as lads desperate to make a living from football) being lucky and being at the right place at the right time.

I think the situation lends it self better to comparing Ben Purrington and Aaron Bentley to Callum/Jordan/(any second year you wish to name). If they gets a run of games, even if they have to patient for it, as Ben did, then I think you will see them go on to greater things than L2 football, (be it with Argyle or not.)

If they get a few games and a bit of time, end up released, they might get a look- in, at a conference club (if lucky) before ending up in the conference south at the likes of Truro just as: Allen, Richards, Bentley and Harvey. Vassell has shown you can bounce back from there! If they get no time at all in the first team, then they are looking at the SWPL just as: Hall, (Owen) Jones and Miller prove. I genuinely feel its more about luck and opportunities afforded than your raw talent. I would put money on Purrington looking at Bentley, Allen and Harvey and thinking, there but for the grace of god, rather than thinking my talent is so much better than theirs, the natural order has prevailed. I'm sure Ben would be the first to acknowledge that he is a very lucky boy and is grateful for his luck, combined with his obvious talent, I take nothing away from him.

As to Green Giants point, what I had been told in private, Ben has since gone public with (there is a link to the article on the Purrington Old boy thread, and its been reported in the Herald, if you have not already seen it) That is why I said what I did about Adams not being too bothered about losing him, that's what I inferred from those sentiments. Finally to bring the thread back on topic great to see Callum score in the SWPL Friday night as Argyle won 7-1!

Aug 5, 2015
And like I've said elsewhere, how does a League Two club compete with a Championship club in terms of wonga? We can't end of.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
As I have said on another thread Mark, DA, probably in discussion with CB and PW, made a judgment call on Ben and was supported by the Board. He was given a 4 year contract to make those decisions.

Time will tell if he was right or wrong.

I hope that Callum Rose, along with a few others, is given the same opportunity as Ben was with Argyle.