Why ice hockey and Not basketball/concerts in the new plans? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why ice hockey and Not basketball/concerts in the new plans?

Nov 10, 2010
On today what is a huge day for PAFC, the only thing that worries me is the non inclusion of a large arena that includes basketball and concerts/stand up. Raiders often have very decent nearly sell out crowds and one of the leading venues in the UK if not the leading venue for basketball exsperiance.

As well as this it turns into a concert that sells out for music and stand up and such. I may have missed something (I hope I have) but why if this all goes ahead are we going to lose basketball and concerts from Plymouth ?

C

CADMAN

devonport singer":2s9005m4 said:
On today what is a huge day for PAFC, the only thing that worries me is the non inclusion of a large arena that includes basketball and concerts/stand up. Raiders often have very decent nearly sell out crowds and one of the leading venues in the UK if not the leading venue for basketball exsperiance.

As well as this it turns into a concert that sells out for music and stand up and such. I may have missed something (I hope I have) but why if this all goes ahead are we going to lose basketball and concerts from Plymouth ?
It's starting to look like the end of the Pavilions to me as well. I hope I am wrong.

Jan 30, 2017
There is talk of a purpose built basketball arena being built at Marjon, where the Raiders players already live and train.

Aug 5, 2005
devonport singer":3s5fbqvw said:

There was a thread earlier in the year about the fact that modern ice rinks can easily be turned into basketball courts and concert arenas. I think from memory the Braemar Centre was one example

I've no idea if that is the actual plan for HHP, but it's worth noting.

EDIT - It was the Braehead Arena

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Oh for the days of an afternoon at Argyle, a few beers in the Far Post Club before heading over to the Mayflower for more ale and a bit of basketball watching the Raiders!!!

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Topboy":3jhid03v said:
Oh for the days of an afternoon at Argyle, a few beers in the Far Post Club before heading over to the Mayflower for more ale and a bit of basketball watching the Raiders!!!

Brings back memories. Must have been in the 90's, I used to go to Raiders after our games with a friend. Raiders were playing Crystal Palace I believe and they had a player called Alton Bird or something similar, and I have no recollection fly but he was taking a hell of a lot of flack from the Raiders fans. I am thinking it might possibly have been 94 or 95 as it was when I was working in Plymouth.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Because to redevelop the pavilions site in town into a new swanky hotel, a new ice rink has to be supplied elsewhere in the city first.

Make of that what you will.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
samjones":2nm5us0f said:
Can't see Plymouth being the ice rink meca of the country.

Sounds like another white Elephant to me

Just like the life centre! Everything together and it is going to enhance Plymouth as a sporting destination. More world champions etc. Just differen5 sports.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
samjones":3dqk1189 said:
Can't see Plymouth being the ice rink meca of the country.

Sounds like another white Elephant to me

What are the other white elephants in Plymouth?

The Life Centre is tremendously successful, the Theatre Royal is the best attended regional theatre in the country, the Pavilions attracts great acts but is too small if anything. Whatever you think of Drake Circus architecturally, it has massive footfall and keeps attracting more and better retailers.

Plymouth Dome maybe the only one I can think of.

The problem in Plymouth is historically getting projects off the ground in the first place, rather than having too many of them.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Tugboat":1ce32pos said:
Because to redevelop the pavilions site in town into a new swanky hotel, a new ice rink has to be supplied elsewhere in the city first.

Pass!

Why don't you tell us?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Andy_S":8g3u1qrm said:
Tugboat":8g3u1qrm said:

Pass!

Why don't you tell us?

Come to your own conclusion. I’ve merely answered the question.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Tugboat":38vdx229 said:

Please let us all hear your conspiracy theory!
Oh, on second thoughts, please don't bother!! YAWN!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
999mattyg":1pattfdu said:
Tugboat":1pattfdu said:

Please let us all hear your conspiracy theory!
Oh, on second thoughts, please don't bother!! YAWN!

How are they conspiracy theories? He asked why ice hockey and not basketball arena.

I answered it.

What are you, 15?

Who still does that YAWN crap.