No Pace=Dull Football | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No Pace=Dull Football

Jul 31, 2009
Plymouth
The biggest deficiency in the team as I see it at the moment is the complete lack of pace in the back 4 and the midfield.
This means that we have to play to a very rigid formula where the back 4 have to be shielded by 3 central midfielders who also have no pace. This results in none of these 3 being able to go beyond our striker and join in any attack and still have the ability to get back and cover. So basically we are playing with 3 attack minded players and 7 defensive players.
The lack of pace in defence means that as a unit they have to play deep and not leave any space behind because if they did we would be very vulnerable to the ball played over the top. This leads to us not being able to squeeze a team (as you often hear the supporters calling for) as we cannot allow too much space between our defence and our midfield. So we have to let our midfield drop off and defend our 18 yard box and try to draw teams on to us and then try and beat them on the break. Which is difficult without any pace! So we have to rely on skill from Carey or a free kick or corner to threaten the opposition's goal!
So even though we beat Northampton 2-0 (from 2 crosses from free kicks)we did not force their goalie into 1 save in the whole 90 minutes!
With Grant and Carey(amazing skill but again slow) also expected to do their defensive duties we very rarely have more than 2 players in the box from open play and have to rely on free kicks and corners to create any pressure.
This lack of pace is really shown up when we go a goal down because as soon as we have to "go for it" teams that pass and move quickly (like Oxford) tear us apart and we concede 3 or 4 and look like conceding 8.
This is not just this season's problem as we saw any team with pace last season cause us great problems at home, such as Blackpool (0-3) and even Leighton Orient! (2-4)
A rigid, defensive, hard working team might be OK at getting the odd draw or win away from home but when it comes to opening up teams at Home Park and providing some entertainment our current squad just can't play that way.
A quick central defender and 2 quick central midfielders are a must buy in January and hopefully with Threlkeld back at right back and we might have a team that will entertain.
Unfortunately as we all know players with pace and ability cost the big bucks so it looks like we will have to put up with dull football for a while longer as the club tries to get more finances in to be able to buy the players we need.
The current players work ethic cannot be faulted and deserve our support but I think that supporters wanting more entertaining football to watch are going to have to wait a while longer until the club can get better players in.
Until then we will just have to support a hard working, tactically rigid team that hopefully will finish at least 5th from bottom this season and a Billionaire will buy the club in the summer and buy us some players with pace! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
You are not wrong buddy , but it would be interesting to see the guys defending the 18 year box. I know they lack pace, but 18 years is a bit much innit? :)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Funnily enough I thought the game was set up for Wylde last night. Should have been given 20/25 minutes with Fletcher--would have given the defence an outlet and caused problems for a fairly average Northampton defence. I understand why DA took the low risk percentage decision---but a shame nevertheless.

Jul 31, 2009
Plymouth
lilcol":1q08n8qe said:
You are not wrong buddy , but it would be interesting to see the guys defending the 18 year box. I know they lack pace, but 18 years is a bit much innit? :)
thanks for pointing out the spelling error. Now corrected :thumbs:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
plym1969":25pxwy4w said:
The biggest deficiency in the team as I see it at the moment is the complete lack of pace in the back 4 and the midfield.
This means that we have to play to a very rigid formula where the back 4 have to be shielded by 3 central midfielders who also have no pace. This results in none of these 3 being able to go beyond our striker and join in any attack and still have the ability to get back and cover. So basically we are playing with 3 attack minded players and 7 defensive players.
The lack of pace in defence means that as a unit they have to play deep and not leave any space behind because if they did we would be very vulnerable to the ball played over the top. This leads to us not being able to squeeze a team (as you often hear the supporters calling for) as we cannot allow too much space between our defence and our midfield. So we have to let our midfield drop off and defend our 18 yard box and try to draw teams on to us and then try and beat them on the break. Which is difficult without any pace! So we have to rely on skill from Carey or a free kick or corner to threaten the opposition's goal!
So even though we beat Northampton 2-0 (from 2 crosses from free kicks)we did not force their goalie into 1 save in the whole 90 minutes!
With Grant and Carey(amazing skill but again slow) also expected to do their defensive duties we very rarely have more than 2 players in the box from open play and have to rely on free kicks and corners to create any pressure.
This lack of pace is really shown up when we go a goal down because as soon as we have to "go for it" teams that pass and move quickly (like Oxford) tear us apart and we concede 3 or 4 and look like conceding 8.
This is not just this season's problem as we saw any team with pace last season cause us great problems at home, such as Blackpool (0-3) and even Leighton Orient! (2-4)
A rigid, defensive, hard working team might be OK at getting the odd draw or win away from home but when it comes to opening up teams at Home Park and providing some entertainment our current squad just can't play that way.
A quick central defender and 2 quick central midfielders are a must buy in January and hopefully with Threlkeld back at right back and we might have a team that will entertain.
Unfortunately as we all know players with pace and ability cost the big bucks so it looks like we will have to put up with dull football for a while longer as the club tries to get more finances in to be able to buy the players we need.
The current players work ethic cannot be faulted and deserve our support but I think that supporters wanting more entertaining football to watch are going to have to wait a while longer until the club can get better players in.
Until then we will just have to support a hard working, tactically rigid team that hopefully will finish at least 5th from bottom this season and a Billionaire will buy the club in the summer and buy us some players with pace! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

That is a sensible and well constructed summary of the problem that was always (in retrospect) likely to ensure that we got nowhere near the playoffs. We do have 2 or 3 players with pace (Jervis, Wylde, Ainsworth) but to have more than one in the team at the time would be luxury that may create more scoring opportunities but probably at the expense of conceding more goals.

Hopefully, the qualities that you have highlighted that we do possess will enable us to reach a position of safety around mid table by the end of this season.

Absolutely agree. Watching Diorama(?) and Sarcevic lumbering around was almost painful on Tuesday. Some pace from our full backs would make all the difference. Get Threlkeld back on one side and someone in in January on the other. Or , and I know it's a bit left field, I can't help wondering if Grant could do a job at left back? He has pace and is quite good defensively.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Good post. It was noticeable on Tuesday how slow our midfield was. I don't Sarcevic brings very much to the team and have been very disappointed with his overall contribution.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
abandonedhope":3w3m60uh said:
Absolutely agree. Watching Diorama(?) and Sarcevic lumbering around was almost painful on Tuesday. Some pace from our full backs would make all the difference. Get Threlkeld back on one side and someone in in January on the other. Or , and I know it's a bit left field, I can't help wondering if Grant could do a job at left back? He has pace and is quite good defensively.

Grant at LB?? I thought he played well and ATS was worthy of a MOM nomination on Tuesday night!!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I thought in the early games of the season the opposition midfielders had more pace, athleticism and energy than our midfield.

At the time Adams played with Fox and Sarcevic in midfield with Carey playing his usual floating role behind the striker. The result was that Fox and Sarcevic were not mobile enough and the opposition midfielders steamrolled right through us.

At the time Songo'o was on the bench and either came on late in a game or played at centre-back due to suspensions to Edwards and Bradley.

It all changed after the arrival of Diagouraga and a tweak to the formation. Carey moved to the right side, Songo'o sat in front of the defence and Fox had Diagouraga alongside him.
It gave us an extra player in midfield and any running opposition midfield would have to get through Fox, Diagouraga and finally Songo'o.

Adams kept that formation in the last two games with Fox playing the Songo'o role on Tuesday.

So we don't have pace in midfield but we have neutralised the opposition midfield and is part of the containing game plan.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Are you blind to the fact that for all his pace, wylde cannot cross?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lancastergreen":27j3bpt8 said:
Are you blind to the fact that for all his pace, wylde cannot cross?

Not the best, but he does get a percentage of decent crosses in--quite often his pace and the rest of the teams lack of pace can mean he's up the pitch and isolated or with perhaps one supporting player to aim for. He does need to look up more often--but he does add a different dimension to the team when he is on.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
True enough but its kind of like having Forrest Gump on the pitch. Runs well but then what?