Argyle's defence - Stick or Twist? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle's defence - Stick or Twist?

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
With Argyle's back line now looking more resilient (Oxford game aside), would you put Threlkeld in at RB on his return, or keep things as they are with a player playing out of position?

Personally, I'm an advocate for 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Keep things the way they are (other injuries/suspensions permitting).

I know Threlkeld is a favourite around here and just thought it'd be interesting to see what others would do if they were in Derek's shoes.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Bradley is pretty much assured of a starting spot after his recent performances - he's really upped his game after a shaky start to the season.

Threlkeld also has to come back in at RB for me - Sawyer has done well there but Threlkeld will provide us with much-needed width and pace.

Which leaves Songo'o or Edwards for right centre back and Sawyer or ATS for left back. I think I'd (just) go with Songo'o as he has been imperious this season (still can't quite fathom how having watched him last season) so you can't leave him out, and I prefer the Diagouraga-Fox-Sarcevic midfield as I think it is more balanced.

I'd also just give Sawyer the nod over ATS as he gets up and down the line a bit better and his crossing is more accurate.

Tough call for Adams though - a "good problem to have for the manager" as the cliche goes.

Apr 6, 2009
I think Sawyer is better at right back then left but threlkeld still better. Ats at left back Edwards right centre bradley keep his place. Songoo in front of then

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
For me Songo'o's weakest point is his lack of pace once turned - and despite a genrally very good performance he was exposed in this regard on a couple of occasions last night. For that reason I'd have Songo'o as the protector in front of the back four - I think that's where he's best. Therefore, despite concern that they are too similar, it would be Edwards alongside Bradley. A fit Threlkeld is a no-brainer at right-back and I'd go for the marginally more solid option of Sawyer at left-back in our current predicament.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
OK I'm being hypercritical of a guy who scored two goals--but Bradley's clearances and distribution were extremely poor last night. On the other hand his threat in the opponents penalty area was immense.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Frank_Butcher":33xm3bid said:
For me Songo'o's weakest point is his lack of pace once turned - and despite a genrally very good performance he was exposed in this regard on a couple of occasions last night. For that reason I'd have Songo'o as the protector in front of the back four - I think that's where he's best. Therefore, despite concern that they are too similar, it would be Edwards alongside Bradley. A fit Threlkeld is a no-brainer at right-back and I'd go for the marginally more solid option of Sawyer at left-back in our current predicament.

+1. Exactly how I see it

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I'd say Threlkeld, Edwards, Bradley and Sawyer as a preferred back four; Songo'o starts as a centre mid. As long as we have Sawyer and Taylor-Sinclair as our full backs, no need to rush Threlkeld back.

Oct 31, 2015
I think Sonny plays better with Songo alongside him. Not sure why that is. Saying that the midfield of Toums Fox and Songo saw us go on an unbeaten run so I suppose stick would be my answer.

DA has a big decision to male when Oscar returns because is probably our best footballer slongside Carey.

As long as poor old Miller sticks to the reserves I will be happy. The bloke himself is very likely to be a decent bloke but he is not lg1 material

Aug 5, 2016
rsp4":3h9ercxd said:
I think Sonny plays better with Songo alongside him. Not sure why that is.

The same thing that is characteristic in all positive working relationships I expect: chemistry. Two colleagues on the same wavelength who have confidence in each other and in what each other are doing, when one is likely to go, sit, head, sweep etc. The relationship is massive in cutting out the minor pauses, the umming and ahhing, the deliberations and hesitancies that lead to little mistakes and put a CB a fraction behind an opposition striker through on goal or unmarked for a back post free header.

Argyle players across the pitch will have preferred teammates they like to link up with and trust alongside them more than others. Players who complement the way each other play.

It tells its own story that Bradley scored vital goals throughout last season, and hasn't netted this season until the game Edwards is out. Maybe he feels like he needs to hold Edwards's hand and show him, or he defers to him and let's him be the set piece target, whereas he can play more of his own game with Songo'o. I have no idea, but the chemistry in these partnerships across the pitch are important and deserve observing.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It won't happen but I would like to see a back three and wing backs.
Edwards, Songo'o and Bradley as the back three, Threlkeld as the right wing back and Sawyer or ATS as the left wing back. I think Sawyer is the best crosser of a ball in the squad.

Fox and Diagouraga in midfield and Carey floating behind two strikers - which is the whole point of this set-up: to give the team two strikers.

The down side is that our many wide players, Grant, Wylde and Ainsworth, and Sarcevic won't get a place in the team

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Eg: Sawyer’s peach of a cross to Jake’s Head this past Good Friday! ; more of the same please at the same venue this Saturday!