Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Sarcevic into the team with Songo'o replacing Edwards. Ciftci fit enough to make the bench. Thankfully ATS preferred to Miller. The usual formation with Fox sitting in front of the back 4 and Sarcevic coming into one of the more forward roles.

2) Both teams took a while to settle with lots of aerial ball and very little control from either side. Frustrating to watch both teams try and defend their own half and showing little attacking intent. Northampton with the earlier chances but all wild and wide. Argyle managed to put a move or two together but nothing significant.

3) Northampton's set pieces felt like they were the most dangerous. A couple of good corners dealt with adequately. As well as a cross field ball that was fielded well by ATS. Argyle's were poor in comparison until Bradley found space from a free-kick and planted his header home.

4) The rest of the half passed in a mess of midfield challenges and poor control. Generally it was a poor half of football with two teams that could well be playing each other at a lower level. Jervis can't control the ball and is a useless target man. It's not his fault. However, it was a change going into the break leading. How could we mess this up?

5) After a few tentative moves of the second Jervis won a free-kick in the corner then the same Northampton defender failed to hold onto Bradley as he headed home his second. Moments, and a foul, later the defender was subbed.

6) Made a change watching the opposition forced into changes. We went through a period of play with confidence just after the second but then, unbelievably, we sat back and allowed Northampton to play in front of us. They didn't create much bit it was the Argyle mentality that must be questioned.

7) Argyle needed fresh impetus. Grant and Jervis looked leggy and the ball forwards, when we managed it, came straight back unless it went to Carey. Fletcher and Ainsworth the only subs used and only then right at the death as replacements. For Jervis and Carey.

8 ) Carey with two assists or Bradley with 2 goals for man of the match. The midfield did alright as did everyone else. Matthews largely unused. Songo'o was a bit up and down. Jervis the only one who looked out of place but what a surprise - it's not his role. Thankless task that was well thanked by the Home Park crowd.

9) So a win on a Tuesday night but despite the score line it still didn't feel brilliant. But a win is what we needed and what we got so everything else is superfluous I guess. Quite frankly we were poor for long periods of the game. Fortunately we found a team worse.

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 6
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 7
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 6
David Fox - 6
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 6
Jake Jervis - 6

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - 5
Alex Fletcher - 5
Nadir Ciftci - unused

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Thought it was fairly comfortable, and an improvement on Saturday.

Northampton looked awful but you can only play what's in front of you!

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Had to listen in via Radio Northampton they were very impressed with Toums and thought he bossed the game.

Feb 2, 2007
Only need 4 teams worse this season!

Thanks Mark, understandable summary from my perspective, as I was not at the game but it makes total sense. Get Jake back on the side and decent striker (Taylo) back in and with Toums we should be alright.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Voice_of_Reason":3fkoivls said:
Had to listen in via Radio Northampton they were very impressed with Toums and thought he bossed the game.

They were right, in my view. A very effective player and for me the major catalyst in our upturn. That and Carey deciding he wants to start playing again.

Mar 23, 2008
Big improvement and much mote comfortable on the ball and controlled possession. Northampton very poor and look weak, we are really back in the mix now. Shame we couldn't get a goal from open play our play deserved but two quality balls for the goals.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Great result.

Tough one on the weekend of course but the table is looking nice and compact now. Just 5 points between ourselves and Walsall in 15th.

Aug 9, 2011
Whiddon down
landons forehead":5hby707v said:
Voice_of_Reason":5hby707v said:

They were right, in my view. A very effective player and for me the major catalyst in our upturn.upturn. That and Carey deciding he wants to start playing again.

I firmly believed the two are linked. Toums means Carey spends less time tracking back trying to tackle and harry players in front of our defence and instead is more of an outlet in a bit more space where he can make things happen

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Diagouraga has been a great signing, obvious watching him play that he's experienced in the championship.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
cheshiregreen":3p6adycr said:
Great result.

Tough one on the weekend of course but the table is looking nice and compact now. Just 5 points between ourselves and Walsall in 15th.

I would prefer to say the table is looking compact now rather than nice, but I know where you are coming from. I just hope come the end of the season, that Argyle's grim goal average does not let them down in a dog fight against relegation. As others have said, 3 points are prisoners. Onwards and definitely upwards!

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Typical scrappy game where we used our height and set pieces to our advantage. Northampton were shocking, and we weren't much better but the 3 points is all that matters.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
WottonForEngland":158fjtj7 said:
When was the last time we won on a Tuesday at home?
The last time we had a league win on a Tuesday was September 29th 2015 but we did beat Exeter 2-0 in the JPT the following week.