Our talisman | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Our talisman

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
On his day I totally agree that Carey is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club. However he is not unique, it seems most clubs we face have at least one clever midfielder who runs the show.

Before kick-off yesterday I mentioned to my mate that their number 10 must be a bit special, as he was about a foot smaller than the rest of their relatively small side.

And boy was I right, he was a ball of fire the whole time he was on and he threaded several sweet passes into dangerous areas.

This is definitely not a dig at Carey, however he can be reflected by a player in most sides I'm sure.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Spot on. I remember thinking early on in the first(?) home league game against Charlton that whereas a player like Carey was an absolute diamond in League 2 we were likely going to find that EVERY team in the league would have at least one player at least equivalent to Carey (for Charlton it was Ricky Holmes). Iā€™m not sure I have seen that many players as good as Carey when he is on doing playing for other teams this season but I have seen an awful lot of extremely competent and sufficiently creative attacking midfielders that I think my initial thoughts are still valid. Oxford had several players in midfield who were confident and comfortable on the ball, moved quickly and were able to pick a pass or shoot (numbers 8, 10, 17 and 18? come to mind).

We just have nowhere near enough skillful and dynamic players in the squad.

Sep 23, 2005
The Doctor":auhxorl9 said:
Spot on. I remember thinking early on in the first(?) home league game against Charlton that whereas a player like Carey was an absolute diamond in League 2 we were likely going to find that EVERY team in the league would have at least one player at least equivalent to Carey (for Charlton it was Ricky Holmes). Iā€™m not sure I have seen that many players as good as Carey when he is on doing playing for other teams this season but I have seen an awful lot of extremely competent and sufficiently creative attacking midfielders that I think my initial thoughts are still valid. Oxford had several players in midfield who were confident and comfortable on the ball, moved quickly and were able to pick a pass or shoot (numbers 8, 10, 17 and 18? come to mind).

We just have nowhere near enough skillful and dynamic players in the squad.
Yes too true, we are way behind in overall team strength compared to every other league I team I have seen us play, apart from maybe Rochdale. Oxford's players you highlighted shone yesterday even before we were reduced to 10 men, very clever players and they weren't alone in a good skillful Oxford side. You can't fault our work ethic but at this level it appears workrate just isnt enough on it's own.