Price of Football BBC survey | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Price of Football BBC survey

Apr 5, 2008
Plymouth
BBC

One of the most expensive in the league, in a relatively low wage area. It does make you wonder how much more people will take of these types of prices, not just at Argyle.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
How can a season ticket to watch Manchester City be cheaper than a season ticket to watch Argyle? Why are we not leading the way, as Bradford City are, with the cheapest season ticket in League one? Surely more bums on seats at Home Park means increased revenue in and around the ground?

BBC

---------------------------------

Link shortened and in follow up quotes. Admin.

May 8, 2011
Perhaps the fact that the other 22 league 1 teams don’t follow Bradford’s model suggests it doesn’t bring in more match day revenue.
Also Bradford’s pricing structure doesn’t suggest you build long term ‘loyal’ support if their FA Cup attendance of 4,747 is considered against their average home attendance for league matches.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Man City received nearly £150 million just in prize money last season so you could argue their prices should be even lower.

Jul 29, 2010
Larry David":1z7qgmpz said:
How can a season ticket to watch Manchester City be cheaper than a season ticket to watch Argyle? Why are we not leading the way, as Bradford City are, with the cheapest season ticket in League one? Surely more bums on seats at Home Park means increased revenue in and around the ground?

BBC
Let's inject some logical observation to those statements Larry. In so doing the answer to your questions become bleedin obvious.

We are more expensive than Man City because we neither have Arabian gazillionaires as owners or an umpty thrumpty million pound TV rights packaged divvied up by the premier league cartel system. They can AFFORD to discount their product, they could afford to play behind closed doors if they wanted to, fan revenue is not their main revenue.

As for Bradford they've been discounting their ST's for a few years now.

Firstly we don't have 20,000 regulars in Plymouth, at ANY price. Even if tickets were free they'd slowly find excuses not to commit to going unless the team was winning every week AND playing attractive football.

Secondly whilst it would be nice to pay less, in all truth where has it got Bradford? they're in the same league as us so it's hardly given them a great advantage from discounting these last few years.

Truth is we have only a relatively small hard-core support and very little outside money to bolster the coffers PLUS we're situated in an apathetic city. Were we to halve admissions we wouldn't get double the gates over a sustained period and would thus make a loss on the exercise.

As the quote goes...it's economics stupid.

Jul 29, 2010
Mister Green":lt9x5cr5 said:
BBC

One of the most expensive in the league, in a relatively low wage area. It does make you wonder how much more people will take of these types of prices, not just at Argyle.
I feel a merge coming on :whistle:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Larry David":3dvtzwx7 said:

BBC
:facepalm: .i don't quite despair but almost do.

Jan 3, 2013
Steve Evans":3g368xcw said:
Larry David":3g368xcw said:

BBC

I don't agree with Larry David, but he's entitled to his opinion.....no need to insult him

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Steve Evans":2333ogqh said:
Larry David":2333ogqh said:

BBC

Well that's put me in my place, that's quite an argument you have put forward there.

To sum up

Because your average Janner is so apathetic season tickets need to be one of the most expensive in league one. We would never attract sufficient extra support to make it viable and more people inside HP wouldn't lead to increased match day revenue.

May 8, 2011
Larry David":18vv0d6k said:
Steve Evans":18vv0d6k said:
Larry David":18vv0d6k said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41914171

Well that's put me in my place, that's quite an argument you have put forward there.

To sum up

Because your average Janner is so apathetic season tickets need to be one of the most expensive in league one. We would never attract sufficient extra support to make it viable and more people inside HP wouldn't lead to increased match day revenue.

Our cheapest season ticket may be one of the dearest, but what the survey doesn’t show is, how many of these cheap tickets are there at each ground, what part of the ground are they for and is it for terracing or for seats.

Perhaps a better comparison to make your argument would be to use the average price of all season tickets.

It would be very easy for Argyle if they wanted to to appear to have the cheapest tickets, they just have 10 seats in the Grandstand with restricted views at £148 on sale.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
It would be interesting to see the average price of season tickets granted. But I would seriously doubt we would be among the cheapest in any event.

What I'm more interested in is seeing whether if the price dropped to say £250 whether the drop in revenue would be offset by increased season ticket sales along with increased match day retail profits.

The bonus being larger attendances and a potentially better noisier more hostile atmosphere at Fortress Home Park.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
It's simple Argyle just need an Arabian gazillionaire.
The big question then is, would that ruin our club as we know, love and hate ?

E

Electronic

X Isle":380wfzeh said:
Larry David":380wfzeh said:

BBC
Let's inject some logical observation to those statements Larry. In so doing the answer to your questions become bleedin obvious.

We are more expensive than Man City because we neither have Arabian gazillionaires as owners or an umpty thrumpty million pound TV rights packaged divvied up by the premier league cartel system. They can AFFORD to discount their product, they could afford to play behind closed doors if they wanted to, fan revenue is not their main revenue.

As for Bradford they've been discounting their ST's for a few years now.

Firstly we don't have 20,000 regulars in Plymouth, at ANY price. Even if tickets were free they'd slowly find excuses not to commit to going unless the team was winning every week AND playing attractive football.

Secondly whilst it would be nice to pay less, in all truth where has it got Bradford? they're in the same league as us so it's hardly given them a great advantage from discounting these last few years.

Truth is we have only a relatively small hard-core support and very little outside money to bolster the coffers PLUS we're situated in an apathetic city. Were we to halve admissions we wouldn't get double the gates over a sustained period and would thus make a loss on the exercise.

As the quote goes...it's economics stupid.

Agree on Man City, the economics explain themselves.

Re: Bradford, I find the argument of 'twas always thus' around apathetic Janners so depressing and defeatist. If that's the case, what's the point? Just bulldoze HP and pack up the city whilst we're at it. Perhaps the reason we've never managed to build on the crests of waves is because we've flattered to deceive so often.

Personally, I think the Bradford model is interesting. It might not make money but if it breaks even, then it is arguably worth considering. There is a great story to tell there and they are clearly not just going after short-term pounds and pence but trying to build something more for the long-term, something sustainable. I don't know if they do it now but when they first introduced the discount scheme they said they would lowball tickets provided a certain number of people signed up, which encouraged fans to sell the idea to others. If a community isn't there, it needs to be built.

The Price of Football survey has lots of threads but one of the overriding messages is that football clubs need to be innovative about how they attract youngsters and, in particular, young adults in a world where their attention and relatively modest incomes are being competed for by multiple attractions.

I don't buy that Argyle couldn't attract a Pompey or Bradford size gate with a better approach which, yes, would include a radical pricing overhaul. It might just be the perfect way to launch the 'new' grandstand (if and when it happens).