Is Derek the right manager? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Is Derek the right manager?

Flagman

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
It's a simple question, but a far from simple answer.

Advantages
Stability (better the devil you know)
Respect of the players, they bust a blood vessel for him
Proven record (some will debate this)
Evidence of turning fortunes around (unbeaten, but few wins)

Disadvantages
Risk adverse (not blooding youth)
One dimensional
Having a set formula (which once worked out requires a new one).
Not trusting the players to play different styles to combat opposition?
Not attacking enough (defense fist works for some teams/managers).

I would like Derek to take more risks.
What are your thoughts/opinions?

Sep 25, 2010
Yes

Please not another thread about DA ability as a manager, just let him get on with the job

Flagman

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
That's not what this is Martyn, it's simply an opportunity to explore the pro's and cons

Apr 12, 2016
To be honest the conversation dependent on which side of the debate you favour is mostly worthless at this point in time. DA is not going to leave unless something like the Aberdeen job comes up again (might do if Rangers go for McInnes) or if Brent sacks him which he won't, not at the moment anyway.

Apr 30, 2017
I still feel DA is a very good manager, and the one to keep us ticking over and keep pushing forward. I disagree he is one dimensial, he changes formation in games on many occasions. We started the season playing, 4231 then moved to 433 and now to 4141. I'd rather we started in games for longer and progressively got more offensive minded then the other way around. DA is a good Manager, and for sure the right manager. You tell me a better manager who is affordable that ticks ALL of the points you've eluded to above, highly unlikely.

Apr 4, 2004
No.

Simply don't enjoy the football enough so prefer just keep an eye on results and listen on the radio.
I know lots of people don't care what the watch on the pitch as long as the results are OK. But that's not for me.
Also I've found some of his comments insult the intelligence of fans.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
Dec 30, 2004
Nope not at all....bottom of the league just about sums him up...yesterday was a bonus

Frank Butcher

๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Aug 2, 2011
Oh for God's sake give it a break. Please please put this thread into the incinerator and burn it with the rest of the rubbish.

Oct 31, 2015
No

Awful football to watch and we are bottom of the league aftee what was one of our worst runs in our history. He has been found out in the 3rd division and has no way of changing it up. All his formation chsnges are on the theme of one up front and his entire game plan relies on Carey as the playmaker in fact his tactics are built around Carey.

Now he has his good points as he took us to Wembley and got us promoted. He is also whole club and not just the 1st team but im afraid he is taking us straight back down.

I have not been quiet about being a DA out person and I for one hope the Aberdeen job comes up but I really hope I am eating humble pie come May and the Greens stay in this division.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think he has to be because I think he is here for the long haul whether fans like it or not.

I believe James Brent has discussed the sacking culture of football in the past and how he doesn't believe it works. That's why he appointed a manager who talked about building a club and looking at the bigger picture because I think the intention was to appoint a visionary not a fire fighter. Adams was seen as the man to take this club into the future not just to League 1.

In terms of him being the right man, it depends what you're looking for. If it's results you want I don't think you could find many better; Adams lives and breathes football, everything he does is routed in a desire to win football matches. Even this year I think he got the transfer window wrong but that won't stop him, he's already begun to turn it around and won't rest until we're safe.

In terms of an entertainment perspective however I think there is a lot to be desired, back to back promotion chasing seasons under him were a hard watch at times, we were winning but it was rarely pretty. Thing is if you're winning you don't take much notice, in fact I took great pleasure in us frustrating opposing fans taking "undeserved" points from them. his downfall will always be failure to get the result because if you don't get the win there is nothing for the paying fans to take positives from to keep them off your back.

I think we're in for a long hard season of football this year, thing is will many of us really care if it ends with us staying up? Probably not...

Keepitgreen

๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ช Welicar Donor
โ™ฃ๏ธ PACSA Member
โ™ฃ๏ธ Senior Greens
โœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
๐Ÿš‘ Steve Hooper
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008