Kit, image and brand identity. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Kit, image and brand identity.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Watched highlights of Preston v Fulham recently. I took a like to the Green Preston kit ( it's an alternative away kit known as their 3rd kit. )

Yer tiz https://www.pnefc.net/news/2017/october/gallery-fulham/

Not perfect but the thing with it is its very recognisably green.

Its galling me that we can't seem to manage to reclaim the green.
Our kits over the last few seasons on telly show up as containing some sort of dark colour which on scrutiny is identifiable as a murky green.

Now when I read on Pasoti of talk about a disconnect between the city and its football club, I think image and brand identity has a lot to do with this.
( Obviously wins help but they are not the only factor )

For instance when people see a Celtic shirt, every one knows its Celtic as it has unique visual qualities, particularly the fact it contains green.
When people see Argyle shirts they should immediately know 'it's Argyle'. I really don't think our kits have had that for some time.

In order for people in the city to identify with a product first they have to recognise the product.!!
No recognition = no identification = no affiliation.
If you think ' rubbish every one in Plymouth recognises an Argyle shirt', I think if you asked a random selection of people to describe the shirt they could struggle somewhat.

Please lets get our unique identity back. We took a wrong turn with the dark greens.
I know its a bit of a generational thing and some folk may like the murky green colour but ive been watching Argyle since the late 60's and I don't think the murk is right. Never have and never will.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
ghost of hughie reed":3btivyby said:
Watched highlights of Preston v Fulham recently. I took a like to the Green Preston kit ( it's an alternative away kit known as their 3rd kit. )

Yer tiz https://www.pnefc.net/news/2017/october/gallery-fulham/

Not perfect but the thing with it is its very recognisably green.

Its galling me that we can't seem to manage to reclaim the green.
Our kits over the last few seasons on telly show up as containing some sort of dark colour which on scrutiny is identifiable as a murky green.

Now when I read on Pasoti of talk about a disconnect between the city and its football club, I think image and brand identity has a lot to do with this.
( Obviously wins help but they are not the only factor )

For instance when people see a Celtic shirt, every one knows its Celtic as it has unique visual qualities, particularly the fact it contains green.
When people see Argyle shirts they should immediately know 'it's Argyle'. I really don't think our kits have had that for some time.

In order for people in the city to identify with a product first they have to recognise the product.!!
No recognition = no identification = no affiliation.
If you think ' rubbish every one in Plymouth recognises an Argyle shirt', I think if you asked a random selection of people to describe the shirt they could struggle somewhat.

Please lets get our unique identity back. We took a wrong turn with the dark greens.
I know its a bit of a generational thing and some folk may like the murky green colour but ive been watching Argyle since the late 60's and I don't think the murk is right. Never have and never will.
Historically - by that I mean pre WW2 and for a generation afterwards - the green colour matched the cross on the city coat of arms.

Jul 29, 2010
Needless to say I disagree with the OP for the reasons given many times before. I've no wish to repeat them as this really is a close season/matchless midweek sort of discussion. Rather than navel gazing over long term identity issues we should be revelling in short term issues. We've won a football match!, we should be eating, drinking and making merry :cool:

I wouldn't be opposed to a return to the city crest as our badge mind :shock:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree entirely, but probably not the most pressing of concerns at the moment!

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Brand identity? People in Plymouth 'support' teams like Liverpool because of brand identity and I see no merit in Argyle attempting to appeal to that mindset. Win games and they will come.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":q17kunj3 said:
Needless to say I disagree with the OP for the reasons given many times before. I've no wish to repeat them as this really is a close season/matchless midweek sort of discussion. Rather than navel gazing over long term identity issues we should be revelling in short term issues. We've won a football match!, we should be eating, drinking and making merry :cool:

I wouldn't be opposed to a return to the city crest as our badge mind :shock:

That would be good, no stronger identifier to my mind.

Jul 29, 2010
Green_Matt":2tbjybbv said:
Brand identity? People in Plymouth 'support' teams like Liverpool because of brand identity and I see no merit in Argyle attempting to appeal to that mindset. Win games and they will come.
...or not if the last successful championship side is anything to go by :whistle:

Apr 13, 2006
Plymouth
Most of the muppets wearing the big premier league club shirts, usually with their IQ on their backs believe that associating with a successful club increases their street credibility. Most of them have never been to see their team, live within a 100 miles of that city or name any of the youth/reserve sides.

That said when you see Newcastle play on tv it looks like everybody in the ground has a shirt on, but then they have kept the same design for years which does help. So perhaps sticking to a certain design of shirt could help with establishing a better more recognisable identity.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Green_Matt":ehd1eq6j said:

Thanks GREEN Matt.
We used to be famous on account of our kit. Do you see that as a good thing or no ?
What might a potential shirt sponsor favour ?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
X Isle":zff6t555 said:
Green_Matt":zff6t555 said:
...or not if the last successful championship side is anything to go by :whistle:
We only won games with any sort of regularity in a season and a half. Unfortunately armchair fans probably aren't really clever enough to understand how good a period that was for us, especially when their favourite teams were almost guaranteed to succeed at the time. These people will only be interested when Argyle are in the Premiership.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
ghost of hughie reed":14oyv4rh said:
Green_Matt":14oyv4rh said:

Famous? Really? We rarely even hear our unique name being used. I maintain that 'brand' doesn't matter to any club outside the big Premiership clubs.

We used to be famous on account of our kit. Do you see that as a good thing or no ?
What might a potential shirt sponsor favour ?

Edit: sorry, I quoted your post but the text seems to have vanished.

Apr 13, 2017
There is brand identity and it’s pantone 3308. Why change it again?

It’s not merky green, it’s quality green. It’s like British racing green. Like country estate green. It’s classy. It’s professional.

The club are right to keep it. They’ve made a decision and they’re sticking with it. And long may they withstand the pressure from a minority of moaners.

Jul 29, 2010
GreenObserver":4iijq8xv said:
There is brand identity and it’s pantone 3308. Why change it again?

It’s not merky green, it’s quality green. It’s like British racing green. Like country estate green. It’s classy. It’s professional.

The club are right to keep it. They’ve made a decision and they’re sticking with it. And long may they withstand the pressure from a minority of moaners.
poo the bed YES :nworthy:

NB - mods, someone else posted this, I do not have a multiple account :lol: