Nobody up towards centre park for opposition corners et al. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Nobody up towards centre park for opposition corners et al.

Jul 7, 2006
I still don't understand why we never have a player on the centre-line area for opposition corners.
It doesn't take a genius to know that this negative tactic makes it easy for the opposition to get the ball back into our court. Where is the safe outlet for the defence?
Why let the opponents stay on the offensive. In the same situation Shrewsbury never failed to keep a player up which automatically meant we had to keep 2 players back to mark him.
Not rocket science is it.
IMO it just emphasises how negative Adam's tactics are.

Also,one moment he states that 2 strikers are easy to defend against then lo and behold he admits that with Shrewsbury using 2 strikers we had to throw in an extra defender to compensate.

Furthermore it is patently obvious that if Carey can score from 30 yards out his equivalent in the opposition can do the same....as we witnessed. So along with others why did we sit so far back in defence that we gave Shrewsbury the chance to do what Carey did.

It is one thing to go on the defensive 1-0 with only a few moments left but for a half of a game it is
just asking for trouble.

Apr 9, 2011
Lack of it very noticeable today. Without anyone staying up as soon as we clear a corner it comes straight back at us , not rocket science is it !

Jul 12, 2016
Just made this point under another topic. Employing one of our players on the half way line occupies the opposition defence. So obvious to everybody bar DA.

Oct 31, 2015
Yep agree I started a post on the very same subject. Does my head in there is no one to distribute the ball too

Apr 6, 2009
Been saying this for ages. I get why jervis or blissett could help in the box due to their height but thought things may change today as Fletcher doesnt have that height and would be much better staying out. We clear the ball and it just comes back. Southend it happened time and time again

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
He's done this since the day he got here. Away to bloody Yeovil last season was the most infuriating game I think I've ever had to watch because of this. The opposition team usually has a maximum of 7-8 players in and around the box for attacking corners so why do we need all 11 of ours in the box? He's absolutely clueless.

Apr 5, 2008
green dreams":1v9cdqcx said:
He's done this since the day he got here. Away to bloody Yeovil last season was the most infuriating game I think I've ever had to watch because of this. The opposition team usually has a maximum of 7-8 players in and around the box for attacking corners so why do we need all 11 of ours in the box? He's absolutely clueless.

Because he s the most defensive minded manger we have ever had.And its obvious he will never change now.And its so infuriating he still persists with this. :mad:

And this negativity will almost certainly send us straight back down.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Would like to see one one on the halfway line and one half way up. Despite having 11 players in the box we concede from a hell of a lot of corners. Create some more room in there and let fewer people take control.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Why infuriate yourselves further? No matter how much moaning you do he isn't going to walk away and Brent won't be seen to be wrong in handing him a huge contract that costs too much to sack him from. If its really do bad to watch then i would suggest not going, give your ticket to someone who wants a couple of hours out. Nothing will change whilst we have the self proclaimed best manager outside of the premier league in charge.

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
Exactly the tactic that Sturrock used, but whilst people did moan he never got the flack because we were winning. I think it is based on the stat about chances created by corners so overloading the defence is the way of addressing that. Adams is not the first to do this and most likely not the last.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
McQ":2dszfg49 said:
Exactly the tactic that Sturrock used, but whilst people did moan he never got the flack because we were winning. I think it is based on the stat about chances created by corners so overloading the defence is the way of addressing that. Adams is not the first to do this and most likely not the last.

But what is the stat for chances created by corners when you have left a forward on the halfway line who is phast as phuck and they have to leave at least two defenders back to mark the phast phucker?? :think:

Jun 27, 2017
Pogleswoody":2e923cog said:
McQ":2e923cog said:

But what is the stat for chances created by corners when you have left a forward on the halfway line who is phast as phuck and they have to leave at least two defenders back to mark the phast phucker?? :think:

Yes, yes yes. Absolutely this.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
A little online research shows that EPL clubs score a goal as a result of a corner in about 1 in 10 matches. The conversion rate of goals to corners is somewhere under 1%. Whether this is because corners are heavily defended or the concept of a corner (or the execution) is outdated, I don't know. But I think we could afford to leave 1 or 2 players up the pitch---primarily because the opposition are more likely to score from a ball punted out of defence to-------no one------than the original corner kick.