Defending corners | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Defending corners

Oct 31, 2015
Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up with DAs tactics at defending corners.

Why the fu@@ bring all the players back!!!!Fletch is not a defender so why not leave him in the centre circle which at least will give us an outlet..

Time and time again we put 11 in thebox for a corner. Today the shrews even had their deepest defender in our half.

Along with maddest substitution I have seen since Sheridan put a defender on in the strikers position when we were losing DA is properly doing my head in

Nov 9, 2008
Sturrock did the same. The reasoning was that statistically corners are the situation from which the most goals are scored and that by doing so his teams used to concede very few from corners. It's frustrating as it limits a quick attack, but I'd rather not concede a goal and wait a few seconds to build up play.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Because we are weak at defending set plays.

If we left a player on the half way line and still conceded then people would be saying ‘why doesn’t he get everyone back, even the strikers’.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Tugboat":5rvpkd7g said:
Because we are weak at defending set plays.

If we left a player on the half way line and still conceded then people would be saying ‘why doesn’t he get everyone back, even the strikers’.

Stems from this I think too. Didn't we concede a lot from them, then move to zonal at one point?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
With the number of corners we concede we should be the best at defending them due to the practice.

Regarding everyone back, I think it's nonsense, as by default every clearance comes straight back meaning the opposition are almost assured of two chances rather than one.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
This comes up time and time again and completely baffles me that we have no, absolutely zero, outlet ball to relieve the pressure or chance , god forbid, to break even.
I would leave my smallest and fastest player up the centre so at least there is a chance a clearance wont come straight back.

At the moment we are not only defending the corner but also the 2nd ball which inevitably also comes back into the box.
Now if we were losing with 5 minutes to go I would actually leave 3 up front.

The only logic I can see for having everyone back is the box is so crowded its hard to get a clear chance. there must be some stats that make DA play this way but I would still find it hard to be convinced.

Sometimes the first/best line of defence is attack but I don't think that word exists with DA

G

GreenArmy

Another weakness is instead of closing players down and putting a tackle in, we just let teams run at us and invite the pressure which allows them to get a shot or cross in..we done it last season too but didn’t get punished as often. Players in league 1 are clearly a lot more clinical...