one of the worst substitutions | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

one of the worst substitutions

S

swendies

The substitution today summed up Adams philosophy, don`t lose! We were 1-0 up, Fletcher keeping their defence occupied and we concede totally thanks to Adams` substitution. Adams handed the game to them on a plate, their equaliser was inevitable. The problem is that Adams will regard this as a good point gained against the leaders, I regard it as 2 points lost because of his defend at all costs philosophy. Please Derek, either admit that we can win games by trying to win, or go. He will take us down if he doesn`t change his style.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
from the moment he took off the brilliant fletcher shrewsbury moved upfield and i agree with swendies the equaliser was inevitable.

Apr 5, 2008
Have to get used it.He is not going to change the way he plays if we take the lead.

Can't see us staying up now with his style of play not working in a higher league.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Steve Evans":3mkz3q6z said:
from the moment he took off the brilliant fletcher shrewsbury moved upfield and i agree with swendies the equaliser was inevitable.

It was a terrible decision but Fletcher was far far from brilliant.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It should have been a straight swap Blissett for Fletcher.

We were on top, we had just scored and the fans were right behind the team.
Bradley was vigorously warming up right from the start of the second half so it looked like he was coming on regardless of the score.

Once Bradley came on we switched to five defenders we lost all our momentum. It wasn't wing backs either but definitely five defenders.

It's easy in hindsight to question this decision by Adams and it would have been job done if we had kept a clean sheet, except it didn't work and ultimately was the wrong decision.

Scoring first and defending the lead served us well in League Two but it doesn't work in League One where there is a higher standard of opposition manager, team and players

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
There was nothing wrong with the substitution nor the formation change, it's normal to add an extra defensive body when winning against a high flying team, the problem was how every single player then started to drop ridiculously deep.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
swendies":1c1u806w said:
The substitution today summed up Adams philosophy, don`t lose! We were 1-0 up, Fletcher keeping their defence occupied and we concede totally thanks to Adams` substitution. Adams handed the game to them on a plate, their equaliser was inevitable. The problem is that Adams will regard this as a good point gained against the leaders, I regard it as 2 points lost because of his defend at all costs philosophy. Please Derek, either admit that we can win games by trying to win, or go. He will take us down if he doesn`t change his style.
Spot on

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge":2pcgir7f said:
There was nothing wrong with the substitution nor the formation change, it's normal to add an extra defensive body when winning against a high flying team, the problem was how every single player then started to drop ridiculously deep.

If you do the 'normal' thing in Div 1 then the opposing manager knows what you are going to do. Great (winning) managers do the 'abnormal' unusual things! :facepalm:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":1m2lr53u said:
It should have been a straight swap Blissett for Fletcher.

We were on top, we had just scored and the fans were right behind the team.
Bradley was vigorously warming up right from the start of the second half so it looked like he was coming on regardless of the score.

Once Bradley came on we switched to five defenders we lost all our momentum. It wasn't wing backs either but definitely five defenders.

It's easy in hindsight to question this decision by Adams and it would have been job done if we had kept a clean sheet, except it didn't work and ultimately was the wrong decision.

Scoring first and defending the lead served us well in League Two but it doesn't work in League One where there is a higher standard of opposition manager, team and players

It’s happened all season. We switch to a negitive formation and let teams walk all over us.

The players must think wtf is he doing. They must be even more peed off than us because they were building up momentum and confidence, got rewarded with with a goal and dickhead makes a dumbass decision and completely undoes everything they worked for.

Absolute criminal decision.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":vbyrx3a1 said:
Cobi Budge":vbyrx3a1 said:

If you do the 'normal' thing in Div 1 then the opposing manager knows what you are going to do. Great (winning) managers do the 'abnormal' unusual things! :facepalm:

Not what I'm saying, we could have contained them & still looked a threat even with the defensive substitution provided that we continued to press out a bit, the dropping is what cost us the win, the extent to which we dropped & the substitution weren't linked, you could have still dropped that deep even if the substitution wasn't made, 541 can be a flexible, effective formation when you're winning, but as I say, not when you're as deep as we were.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
PL2 3DQ":pjkq0z6h said:

The fact that the change was met with incredulity by pretty much everyone around me at the game before it had even happened suggests that hindsight wasn't necessary in this case. As soon as we saw Bradley warming up we were immediately wondering what on Earth Adams was planning. My only thought was that Songo'o might have picked up a knock or that Adams's was worried that Songo'o was about to pick up a card having just been warned by the referee. Shoring up the defence in this way would be fine with 5-10 minutes to go but to concede 2/3 of the pitch to the league leaders for 25 minutes by switching to 5 at the back was always going to be suicidal.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge":rn1z4z7n said:
Pogleswoody":rn1z4z7n said:
Cobi Budge":rn1z4z7n said:

Not what I'm saying, we could have contained them & still looked a threat even with the defensive substitution provided that we continued to press out a bit, the dropping is what cost us the win, the extent to which we dropped & the substitution weren't linked, you could have still dropped that deep even if the substitution wasn't made, 541 can be a flexible, effective formation when you're winning, but as I say, not when you're as deep as we were.

Sorry Cobes, don't think we are going to agree on this one. If you take off a mobile forward and put on a career centre-half then you are going to drop. What you say is true if you put Bradley upfront! You can drop deep or push up with any formation but players will drift to their 'natural' positions!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Going defensive in that manner just gives a message to the opposing team that we are going to sit deep and our threat is hereafter lessened, gives them a massive confidence boost.