Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Start for Diagouraga and a return for Fox. Fletcher on his own up front - only time would tell if that would work! Bradley on the bench alongside the unlucky Blissett with Wylde and Jervis more understandably dropped, and no place for Ciftci or Ness - both injured? Threlkeld, McCormick, Ainsworth and Miller all out as expected for different reasons.

2) Shrewsbury totally dominant for the first 30 but for their possession they couldn't get enough in the final third to get a decent chance on target. The ease with which they passed our left-footed was worrying and it felt like only a matter of time before they would score. On the other side, Grant's assistance for Taylor-Sinclair we looked more solid.

3) The starting midfield looked more solid than recent games but still looked shy of constructing something more positive and worryingly we resorted to lumping it forward to Fletcher in the vain hope he could out jump through two centre backs. In the last 15 we finally got the ball behind the defenders and created a good chance for Sarcevic. Shortly after Sarcevic went down with what looked like a hamstring injury. Jervis the replacement.

4) For all the Shrewsbury pressure it was Argyle who created the better chances with Songo'o putting a free header over was probably the best chance. Carey forced the keeper into a couple of decent saves from free-kicks as he looked to have recaptured some form. Fletcher struggled with poor supply but linked well with the midfield when he had the ball played to him on the floor.

5) Songo'o floored by a swinging arm - if he'd been wearing green he'd have been off. Ref didn't see it. Same player booked minutes later going through the back of Fletcher. The ref was poor both ways all game - letting a lot go. He missed a penalty for Argyle in the final minutes for a hand ball.

6) The second half started a lot more openly with a Carey volley forcing the keeper into a block that could have gone anywhere. Letheren was called into action twice from corners. Then it finally opened up. Grant ran the length of the pitch but lost and then regained the ball. The ball fell to Carey via Jervis, he weaved through 4 defenders and buried the ball to the keeper's right as only he can.

7) Shrewsbury made a double substitution targeting our weakness at right-back. Fletcher was getting knackered too and Adams attempted to solve both issues by replacing Fletcher with Bradley - Songo'o moving to the centre of a back three and Carey back out to the right of a conventional midfield 4. Jervis on his own up front didn't work.

8 ) We seemed to be sitting too deep. After a period where we'd attacked and looked positive we now reverted to letting them have the ball and so it was. A massive gap opened up in midfield and we stood around whilst the Shrewsbury midfielder decided where to put the equaliser. No more than we deserved.

9) Into the final 10 and Blissett replaced Grant and we went 2 up front. Almost immediately Jervis had a chance but shot wildly over. Moment later and Jervis let the ball bounce when he would have been better taking it first time and the chance was snuffed out. Shrewsbury pushed for the winner but we held out. An improvement but not enough.

Kyle Letheren - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
Ryan Edwards - 7
Yann Songo'o - 8
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 7
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 8
Joel Grant - 6
Alex Fletcher - 7

Michael Cooper - unused
Sonny Bradley - 5
Jakub Sokolik - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Jake Jervis - 4
Nathan Bissett - 5

Dec 2, 2010
In usual circa a good point...but we end the day on 6 points and 7 a drift.

Difficult to be upbeat.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Debutant had an excellent game.

We had some well to get into a position where it was a game we should have won.

I believe the core squad of players have shown they are good enough (though we are still one or two short).

Adams not good enough though.

Soon we will have drifted down into a league position which is almost unrecoverable.

Bizarre to change the system and shoe horn Bradley in.

Being positive is why we ended up winning for goodness sake!

I believe we will be relegated if the manager stays in charge.

Mar 23, 2008
A decent performance spoiled by defensive tactics? New guy is a great addition but his arm must be aching as he spent all of the second half urging his team mates to push up. Why bring on Bradley at 1-0 and on top? Was asking for trouble. Felt for Fletcher up top on his own, when JJ and Blissett were up top suddenly they had some thing to do. Baffling tactics and choice of players.

Mar 10, 2007
It was the substitution that did us. We understandably do not have the confidence to defend a 1-0 lead. Whereas Shrewsbury have the confidence to turn round a 1-0 deficit.

We were doing OK. Shouldnt have changed the system. Should have been Blisset for Fletcher. Adams needs to take responsibility, poor management.

New guy looks class.

Carey played with so much passion. Great goal, well deserved.

Bittersweet, but let's take the positives.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
styler":2i34wj6g said:
It was the substitution that did us. We understandably do not have the confidence to defend a 1-0 lead. Whereas Shrewsbury have the confidence to turn round a 1-0 deficit.

We were doing OK. Shouldnt have changed the system. Should have been Blisset for Fletcher. Adams needs to take responsibility, poor management.

New guy looks class.

Carey played with so much passion. Great goal, well deserved.

Bittersweet, but let's take the positives.

Totally agree...as soon as i saw the negative substitution you just knew what was going to going to happen...madness and dont understand why DA did it

Jul 3, 2013
Ade the green":2plu16r9 said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.
I'm nether a pro or anti Adams but this substitution was the right thing to do.

Dec 2, 2010
I think we'll need to take 6 points from our next 3 games - doubling our points tally - to have any chance of staying up.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Stiffler":3rizzsi0 said:
Ade the green":3rizzsi0 said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.

Not with 25-30 minutes to go when your team is doing okay, there's a buzz around the ground and your change disrupts defence, midfield and attack.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Stiffler":3t69je5t said:
Ade the green":3t69je5t said:
Adams messed up!

Just to be sure, i’m not The only one that saw it this way.