• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Budget v other League 1 teams

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
For obvious reasons there have been a lot of comments about Argyle's playing budget this season in comparison with other League 1 teams. I thought I would take a naive look at the other teams in the league and make a gut instinct evaluation of whether I think they should have a bigger or smaller budget than Argyle based on typical crowd size, recent history, tradition etc. Here is my list - which ones are wrong and why? I suspect there are some that have wealthy owners that I am not aware of (Fleetwood?) and, of course, there are all kinds of other hidden factors that will influence things. As I said, this is just me going by gut instinct.

Bigger than Argyle?
Peterborough
Bradford
Wigan
Scunthorpe
Charlton
Rotherham
MK Dons?
Oxford
Bristol Rovers
Portsmouth
Southend?

Smaller than Argyle?
Shrewsbury
Blackpool
Fleetwood?
Walsall?
Doncaster?
Rochdale
Wimbledon
Northampton
Bury
Gillingham?
Oldham

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It's all about getting 90% effort out of a player each week whatever there ability is.

This squad of players are playing at 50-60% capacity which is dogpoo poor.

Jan 27, 2012
If the analysis is based on the size of home gates, surely Argyle would be nearer the top of your list ? I would consider the size of home gates to be most important factor in a club's revenue in League One.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
gaspargomez":3jo773i1 said:
If the analysis is based on the size of home gates, surely Argyle would be nearer the top of your list ? I would consider the size of home gates to be most important factor in a club's revenue in League One.

I don't know. I was just taking a naive stab at a list based on gut instinct of what I felt ought to be about right. It won't be right, but I thought it would be interesting to find out, or hear other's opinions, about which teams I had got wrong (e.g. those with wealthy owners pumping money in).

[BTW this isn't intended to be a criticism of Argyle's budget or a vehicle for getting at the Board etc. There are plenty of other places where that can happen...]

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It can happen here Doc, but it will be challenged in all probability.

In answer to Mr Gomez, obviously the outgoings (salaries/wages, ground repairs etc) have a big part to play as well.

I'd also question Oxford as well, there's some weird arrangement with the lease of the ground etc, which might put them in the bottom half.

It's all guesswork of course but it would be amazing and truly unbelievable for anyone to think we are at the bottom of the league of playing budget.

Feb 17, 2017
If your looking at gate size alone we certainly should have atleast a top 5 budget. It is clear that we haven’t got that by the summer signings. There is no way Adams would have signed the players he did given an unlimited budget forget about location money talks in all aspects of life.
So with that in mind you would have to look at all revenue streams but not only that the most important bit is what is actually getting taken out of the club. I would say argyle is been run more like a business than as a competitive put it all on the pitch mentality. What would be more interesting is what clubs made the most profit last year, and I would say for sure we would be near the top of that table! Unfortunately this has not been reinvested on the pitch hence we are at the bottom of the most important table! The league!

Feb 2, 2007
IJN":3c25084l said:

In answer to Mr Gomez, obviously the outgoings (salaries/wages, ground repairs etc) have a big part to play as well.

I'd also question Oxford as well, there's some weird arrangement with the lease of the ground etc, which might put them in the bottom half.

It's all guesswork of course but it would be amazing and truly unbelievable for anyone to think we are at the bottom of the league of playing budget.

Re Oxford former owner Firoz Kassam still owns the ground and gets all income from match day catering and possibly conferencing etc which is strangling the clubs ability to make money. They adopted a risky strategy of signing players for reasonable wages and even fees such as Kemar Roofe, Marvin Johnson and John Lundstram but have sold well and bought pretty well again, although definitely light on a decent striker for a promotion push.

It's definitely a speculate to accumulate approach, arguably living beyond means but with people like Appleton and now Clotet at the helm they really give me confidence they know what they are doing and may eventually hit the Championship jackpot- if they can afford to keep hold of their best players long enough.

All very different to Argyles approach.

Mar 21, 2008
IJN":1ghmnzlu said:

It would be truly unbelievable given the size of our income in addition to the large unbudgeted windfalls over the last 12-18 months, but unless I'm mistaken that's exactly what Adams has told interviewers and the media, and I'd suggest he knows much more than basically everyone on here.

Mar 21, 2008
By the way in answer to the opening post Bury have a massive budget, way bigger than ours.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
nick_PASTIE":1jmvhk8f said:
IJN":1jmvhk8f said:

Re Oxford former owner Firoz Kassam still owns the ground and gets all income from match day catering and possibly conferencing etc which is strangling the clubs ability to make money. They adopted a risky strategy of signing players for reasonable wages and even fees such as Kemar Roofe, Marvin Johnson and John Lundstram but have sold well and bought pretty well again, although definitely light on a decent striker for a promotion push.

It's definitely a speculate to accumulate approach, arguably living beyond means but with people like Appleton and now Clotet at the helm they really give me confidence they know what they are doing and may eventually hit the Championship jackpot- if they can afford to keep hold of their best players long enough.

All very different to Argyles approach.

So they probably stay in the 'bigger than Argyle' group.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Rob_GT4":1yjt6le6 said:
IJN":1yjt6le6 said:

It would be truly unbelievable given the size of our income in addition to the large unbudgeted windfalls over the last 12-18 months, but unless I'm mistaken that's exactly what Adams has told interviewers and the media, and I'd suggest he knows much more than basically everyone on here.

At the PACSA meeting on Tuesday he said something completely different. He also said he was very happy with the way the club was run.

Jan 27, 2012
IJN":13qayt9z said:

The Herald believe the budget is at the lower end of League One.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/f ... yle-421169

If this is indeed the case, questions need to be asked WHY ? Especially considering the Home Park gates compared to other clubs in League One (not to mention the big gates last year).

If the club can't financially sustain themselves in Legue One then its a sad state of affairs.

Mar 21, 2008
IJN":a6lbmu1s said:
Rob_GT4":a6lbmu1s said:
IJN":a6lbmu1s said:

At the PACSA meeting on Tuesday he said something completely different. He also said he was very happy with the way the club was run.

So which ones true? Because that's pretty much a u-turn from what he's broadcasting publicly, or has he been told to 'toe the line' a bit more to deflect some criticism being directed at the way the club is being run. The summer recruitment also screams of a squad built on a shoestring.

Dec 2, 2010
I believe that three of the current bottom four have the smallest playing budgets in the division....and the odd one out is Bury.

Ps I should quantify this. I was at a football tournament today at which Charlton were represented, and caught up with a contact of mine who is close to the Charlton regime (not part of it) and a number of other clubs. This is something he said when I was lamenting our position.