Ability or character? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ability or character?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Earlier this evening I watched MotD2 and one of the featured matches was the 0-0 between Chelsea and Arsenal. Wenger mentioned in his post match that they had worked an awful lot on their defensive line the past week after their capitulation last weekend and it certainly paid off. It got me thinking about Argyle's training atm moment or indeed since they reported back for Pre-season.

In hindsight we all know that goal scoring has been an issue and this is not something that should surprise anybody as during the PSFs it became apparent that we needed goals from somewhere. Then added to that, someone (sorry but I can't remember who) remarked how pre game practise there was something like 25-30 shots and only 3-4 hit the target, this being whilst there should not be any nerves or pressure. Now take away players that never take a shot (Fox for one) it should still leave 4-5-6 in the starting line up that have experience in scoring goals, whether it be a Carey screamer or a Bradley header from a corner (I can't say how Nadir scores a goal yet as nobody has seen it happen) but none of these things has occurred yet this season. This really begs the question, what do the players do during training? If the training isn't producing results, has DA changed the format in any way? Or, are the players just not good enough?

Without calling any of the players journeymen or hopeless or any other insult to their chosen profession, these are men thwart have made a living playing football in a not too shabby standard so why are they having such a hard time producing anything of note? 9 shots on Saturday is a pretty crappy figure and only 2 on target suggests they are not practising in match conditions.

There is one other possibility. Do the players brought in this season and come to that retained from last season want to play for DA and PAFC? It wouldn't be the first time that players have come to us and practically refused to play even before the signatures dried. Emile Mpenza, Jason Puncheon and the notorious Peter Swann are three names that spring to mind and I'm sure everyone has more they can add. Players that were willing to pocket their wage whilst doing nothing of note (Mpenza might be forgiven but 3 goals in one game at £10000 a week we should have expected more).

So which is it? Ability or Character because I've seen little evidence of either up till now.

May 8, 2011
Ade the green":brc7sf8g said:
Earlier this evening I watched MotD2 and one of the featured matches was the 0-0 between Chelsea and Arsenal. Wenger mentioned in his post match that they had worked an awful lot on their defensive line the past week after their capitulation last weekend and it certainly paid off. It got me thinking about Argyle's training atm moment or indeed since they reported back for Pre-season.

In hindsight we all know that goal scoring has been an issue and this is not something that should surprise anybody as during the PSFs it became apparent that we needed goals from somewhere. Then added to that, someone (sorry but I can't remember who) remarked how pre game practise there was something like 25-30 shots and only 3-4 hit the target, this being whilst there should not be any nerves or pressure. Now take away players that never take a shot (Fox for one) it should still leave 4-5-6 in the starting line up that have experience in scoring goals, whether it be a Carey screamer or a Bradley header from a corner (I can't say how Nadir scores a goal yet as nobody has seen it happen) but none of these things has occurred yet this season. This really begs the question, what do the players do during training? If the training isn't producing results, has DA changed the format in any way? Or, are the players just not good enough?

Without calling any of the players journeymen or hopeless or any other insult to their chosen profession, these are men thwart have made a living playing football in a not too shabby standard so why are they having such a hard time producing anything of note? 9 shots on Saturday is a pretty crappy figure and only 2 on target suggests they are not practising in match conditions.

There is one other possibility. Do the players brought in this season and come to that retained from last season want to play for DA and PAFC? It wouldn't be the first time that players have come to us and practically refused to play even before the signatures dried. Emile Mpenza, Jason Puncheon and the notorious Peter Swann are three names that spring to mind and I'm sure everyone has more they can add. Players that were willing to pocket their wage whilst doing nothing of note (Mpenza might be forgiven but 3 goals in one game at £10000 a week we should have expected more).

So which is it? Ability or Character because I've seen little evidence of either up till now.

You are suggesting problems when there iarent any.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
HC Green":1dyu2roq said:
Ade the green":1dyu2roq said:

No problems! Oh that's okay then.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
People are calling for Fletcher to start. I was sat in the Devonport end for the MK Dons game and the pre match routine involved a lot of shooting drills. I have to say, the shooting was dreadful and in particular I was almost embarrassed for Fletcher as it was so bad.

He clearly wants to play for the club Ade as when he came on he was running all over the place. I'm not saying there are no problems with how things are going, but I do think we are lacking a bit of the run of the green and we can turn it around, so speculating about what 'might' be the issue such as players not wanting to play for PAFC or the manager is in my opinion unfair.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Ade the green":10trdkep said:
HC Green":10trdkep said:
Ade the green":10trdkep said:

there are problems ade but not as severe as your are saying in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2008
Mostly ability but I guess both, as you need to have the confidence and focus to score especially when the chips are down which of course is down to character. One thing is for sure they are definitely playing for the manager.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":3rte4co9 said:
Ade the green":3rte4co9 said:
HC Green":3rte4co9 said:
Ade the green":3rte4co9 said:

5 games, 2 goals, 1 point.

I'd say that constitutes a problem.

May 8, 2011
David_Fisher":uvpwlag2 said:
Steve Evans":uvpwlag2 said:
Ade the green":uvpwlag2 said:
HC Green":uvpwlag2 said:
Ade the green":uvpwlag2 said:

5 games, 2 goals, 1 point.

I'd say that constitutes a problem.

No different to the set of results at the end of February and beginning of March last season. The keyboard warriors were writing all sort of rubbish about a crisis, a collapse, querying tactics etc.
Just like last year there aren't any problems.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
HC Green":xz3c6kpq said:
Ade the green":xz3c6kpq said:

Well if second from bottom doesn't suggest there are problems....would you be kind enough to let us know when there is please... :doh:

Jan 3, 2013
Princerock":1o8mvfyv said:
HC Green":1o8mvfyv said:
Ade the green":1o8mvfyv said:

Well if second from bottom doesn't suggest there are problems....would you be kind enough to let us know when there is please... :doh:
Spot on

May 8, 2011
Princerock":3vzyb6z5 said:
HC Green":3vzyb6z5 said:
Ade the green":3vzyb6z5 said:

No, we were bottom of the league in August last year, losing 3 games and not scoring a goal, was that a problem?

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":1kwengs1 said:
Princerock":1kwengs1 said:
HC Green":1kwengs1 said:
Ade the green":1kwengs1 said:

No, we were bottom of the league in August last year, losing 3 games and not scoring a goal, was that a problem?

Difference between losing your first 3 games and being 23rd after 8 games. 2 league goals from open play this season, Jervis and Wylde. 6 games without a goal from open play. Not good enough, and with only 3 striker options until November at least, if that doesn't raise alarm then nothing will.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
LeonTheGreen":1u94chlx said:
HC Green":1u94chlx said:
Princerock":1u94chlx said:
HC Green":1u94chlx said:
Ade the green":1u94chlx said:

Difference between losing your first 3 games and being 23rd after 8 games. 2 league goals from open play this season, Jervis and Wylde. 6 games without a goal from open play. Not good enough, and with only 3 striker options until November at least, if that doesn't raise alarm then nothing will.
three goals from open play

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
New thread same discussion.

Jeez