The way we play under Adams | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The way we play under Adams

Mar 14, 2009
So I noticed in many matches recently people have complained about the lack of shots, and those most notably on target.

Yet last season we were often a side which had very little shots at goal or on target. Yet the difference was we managed to somehow score when the game was seemingly going against us.

Now, we play in the same manner and its not good enough for a number of people. So why did we accept such poor performances last season? Just because we won. Everything doesn't matter as long as we win? Doesn't matter about the manner we were achieving it because in peoples heads winning is everything.

I always thought if you achieve certain standards it will produce a good performance. Good performances will often lead to winning. Yet last year nobody cared how we played, because simply we were winning.

Now we aren't these questions are often being asked? Yet I cant see any difference in our style or formation. We are just playing a better standard of opposition.

With Adams you have to accept this about his team. Don't get me wrong there will be moments of good football played in some matches. Yet overall, its a scrap, a tactical battle with other managers and a footballing game of chess. It wont change. We will win similar to the same manner we will lose. A lot of these performances last season were very poor as they are now but the difference is we were winning. I believe Adams will get us back to winning ways again but the performances will similar to how they are now. We will just find a way of scoring. Yet I bet when this does happens in most people eyes the team will have significantly improved, because we will be winning. Yet I very much doubt we will play or perform much better than we have in certain games already. Even though the performances will be similar, one moment of magic which leads to a goal will change the whole perspective of a fan about their feeling over a game.

Oct 24, 2013
Thank you MGM!! I thought it was just me! The match day thread was full of people complaining about our first half performance, no shots etc. Still being in the game at half time has always been DA's way of things, so our performance today, especially in the first half was absolutely standard. And as you rightly say, nobody complained last season when it was 0-0 at half time and we had successfully absorbed the pressure of the home team for 45 mins.

I cannot see an awful lot changing in our approach to away fixtures. We need to perform better at home. Don't lose away and try to win at home and we'll be okay.

Ultimately, I think some people have already made their minds up that DA can't cut it at this level and have short memories.

I quite like the way we play under DA. More so when were winning course. :)
I like the way we try to pass out from the back.
I like the way we use a playmaker. Foxy at the moment.
I like the way we counter with pace when ahead. Charlton for example.
I like our overall away form even though i havnt seen any of the games.
Overall at home we have struggled at times to open teams up and chase games.
For me this is simply down to quality. The effort and organisation is usually there.
We either need better players. Or keep improving the ones we have.
DAs tactical changes are frequent and results mixed. Perhaps sticking with just a
couple of regular formations instead might help more?
At the end of the day its all down to the gaffer and staff to give us that required quality
and performance.
As always.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i am certain derek and the management team will strive to improve what we already have.the team spirit is there for all to see and it is just a matter of time before we start climbing the league.

Dec 2, 2010
At this point last season Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury, Rochdale and Coventry made up the borttom four. Rochdale finished 9th, Rovers 10th and Shrews 18th.

Cov went down but Port Vale were 5th, Chesterfield 10th and Swindon 18th.

The point is, the table means very little at this stage. I know we all say it (especially if at the bottom!) but it's true.

Yes, it's a disappointing start but the home results are affected by the sending offs. We need to start winning at home, as we will not pick up the number of away wins of the last two seasons.

I am confident we will improve results, if for no other reason than Adams will work his socks off with the players to ensure there is no relegation in his CV!

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
What is different, that I have noticed anyway, is that the opponents we have played so far have all had players with much more movement than was seen last seen. The Turnips of Bristol showed us that movement in our second game, notably our ex Mr Reid.

Charlton did it to great effect, with no result and Blackpool did it with effect and a result.

By contrast we have looked much more static. I think this is where we need to improve.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Because we have the central midfielders sat deep and too defensively setup.

I understand they're role is playing deep, starting off play and allowing themselves time to defend etc but it a forced us to stay deep and the opposition keep us pinned in our own third of the pitch giving them the time and freedom to pick us off because we go defensive mode and shut down all thoughts on countering.

This team is broken mentally and there isn't any confidence or calmness in our play. Everything is too stressed and nervous.

4-4-1-1 next. Drop Ness or Fox for Sarcevic. Carey left, grant right. Blissett up top with Cuftci playing off his shoulder and keep them upfront. Let them occupy the CB's and one of the midfielders. Carey and Sarcevic dictate the from midfield and let Ness stay back playing ball to feet starting runs.

Oct 24, 2013
Tugboat":2orkt041 said:
This team is broken mentally and there isn't any confidence or calmness in our play. Everything is too stressed and nervous.

It's almost like they are playing every other week in front of an over expectant fan base full of armchair managers, some of whom have decided that they are their manager are all of sudden not good enough.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
lyndhurst green":1g49go3c said:
Tugboat":1g49go3c said:

It's almost like they are playing every other week in front of an over expectant fan base full of armchair managers, some of whom have decided that they are their manager are all of sudden not good enough.

But as long as others keep telling them there's nothing wrong and we've just been unlucky then hopefully they carry on like they have been.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
lyndhurst green":130sjjy7 said:
Tugboat":130sjjy7 said:

Yes it's reaaly unfair of us customers (who pay their wages) to over expect them to score the occaisional goal & to over expect them them not to give away soft goals!!

Apr 9, 2011
You only need to watch the Goal Rush ch5 to see where our problem lies. Goals flying in from other teams who have a STRIKE FORCE, we got away with it last season with goals coming haphazardly from here there & everywhere but early signs are we 'aint going to wing it in this league.

Oct 24, 2013
David_Fisher":2fuqbjmb said:
lyndhurst green":2fuqbjmb said:
Tugboat":2fuqbjmb said:

Yes it's reaaly unfair of us customers (who pay their wages) to over expect them to score the occaisional goal & to over expect them them not to give away soft goals!!

When you go to a shop, you are a customer. When you go to Argyle, you are a supporter.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
lyndhurst green":devweytt said:
David_Fisher":devweytt said:
lyndhurst green":devweytt said:
Tugboat":devweytt said:

When you go to a shop, you are a customer. When you go to Argyle, you are a supporter.

If you buy something from a shop and find out it's not good enough are you allowed to make your feelings know to te shop keeper or should you just go home because we're just lucky to have a shop.

Oct 24, 2013
Tugboat":30b3uvh9 said:
lyndhurst green":30b3uvh9 said:
David_Fisher":30b3uvh9 said:
lyndhurst green":30b3uvh9 said:
Tugboat":30b3uvh9 said:

If you buy something from a shop and find out it's not good enough are you allowed to make your feelings know to te shop keeper or should you just go home because we're just lucky to have a shop.

That wasn't my point. Anyone who goes to Argyle viewing themselves as a customer is not recognising that by attending, you are there to support the team. That is why I go anyway. Others may not.

Plus 'not good enough' is subjective.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
lyndhurst green":fdhbgoy7 said:
Tugboat":fdhbgoy7 said:
David_Fisher":fdhbgoy7 said:
Tugboat":fdhbgoy7 said:

That wasn't my point. Anyone who goes to Argyle viewing themselves as a customer is not recognising that by attending, you are there to support the team. That is why I go anyway. Others may not.

Plus 'not good enough' is subjective.

We're all there to support the team, but some people don't think the product is very good at the moment.