Adams At the Forty Mark | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams At the Forty Mark

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Disappointed to read:

"The players have got every right to feel sorry for themselves a wee bit because of the circumstances..."

I am aware that is one line from the article, but it isn't the first time we've heard comments like this.

We've lost because we haven't done enough to win. I don't want players who are going to feel sorry for themselves. Do you think Wottsy and Cocko and those types of players felt sorry for themselves when they lost*? I certainly don't. Instead they probably had a word with their team mates and said "We need to sort this".

*four league games in a row.

Fully aware that 'what is said privately is probably different to what is said to the press'. But if that is the case, why not say "I've told the players they need to sharpen up. Otherwise they'll be giving someone else a chance to claim the shirt".

Perhaps we don't have enough strength in depth for that. I don't know.

I do think we lack leaders on the pitch. And I am becoming increasingly worried about the leadership off the pitch.

No more excuses. No more 'we played well but we just conceded more goals than we scored'. No more 'Well we couldn't have won because the refs don't like us'.

We are Plymouth Argyle and have every right to be playing in this league. I personally think we could be competing and could be in the top half.

Not seeing where we are after 40 games. Suggests we are in for a relegation fight!

I struggle to understand the nature of a lot of the manager's comments.

I appreciate he is well respected by many, and he may well turn it around, but the way he speaks about the club, the way we are playing and our aspirations for the season really irks me!

Rant over...

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
At this rate we will be dead and buried before 40 games. WTF

Maybe a period of silence from DA would be better for all concerned if he continues to come out with nonsense like that

May 16, 2016
"When you go into every game, you are just looking to win,” he said. “Saturday is no different and we continue to work away. The players have got every right to feel sorry for themselves a wee bit because of the circumstances, but they will pick themselves up and we will go and play in a positive way. "

One line v one paragraph. Just for balance.

Aug 5, 2016
Phil Sloggett":6rm8hjsb said:
Disappointed to read:

"The players have got every right to feel sorry for themselves a wee bit because of the circumstances..."

I am aware that is one line from the article, but it isn't the first time we've heard comments like this.

We've lost because we haven't done enough to win. I don't want players who are going to feel sorry for themselves. Do you think Wottsy and Cocko and those types of players felt sorry for themselves when they lost*? I certainly don't. Instead they probably had a word with their team mates and said "We need to sort this".

Fully aware that 'what is said privately is probably different to what is said to the press'. But if that is the case, why not say "I've told the players they need to sharpen up. Otherwise they'll be giving someone else a chance to claim the shirt".

I do think we lack leaders on the pitch. And I am becoming increasingly worried about the leadership off the pitch.

No more excuses. No more 'we played well but we just conceded more goals than we scored'. No more 'Well we couldn't have won because the refs don't like us'.

We are Plymouth Argyle and have every right to be playing in this league. I personally think we could be competing and could be in the top half.

Not seeing where we are after 40 games. Suggests we are in for a relegation fight!

I appreciate he is well respected by many, and he may well turn it around, but the way he speaks about the club, the way we are playing and our aspirations for the season really irks me!

Rant over...

Based on WHAT?

WHY do you think we ought to be top half?

For you to criticise the manager when it isn't happening?

Maybe you should focus on managing your expectations, and leave DA to manage the team.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
I do not expect we would be setting the league alight, but waiting to see where we are at forty games gone, to see if the last six games we need to start looking to gain points just to survive does not bode well.
Do you deny an expectation for this year on the back of a promotion was better than what has happened. Football is a confidence sport but changing the bulk of a squad every year maybe you lose more of the squad feeling than you gain by employing new faces.
Something is not right this year, but it is still early enough to change the outcome. Derek needs to concentrate on the near future not the far future.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Knibbsworth":qmn8r1ro said:
Phil Sloggett":qmn8r1ro said:
Disappointed to read:

Rant over...

Based on WHAT?

Maybe you should focus on managing your expectations, and leave DA to manage the team.

My opinion that we should be performing relatively comfortably in this league is based on the fact that we were promoted from League Two last season and the gap between the two leagues does not tend to be massive. We have a decent average attendance compared to many teams in League One and, I believe, will have set a reasonable budget that should allow us to compete.

A number of our players performed exceptionally last season which gave us a good basis for putting together a team who could do well in the league above.

I do not believe we have recruited cleverly though. Some of our signings are not producing the goods. We have also signed lots of similar players and failed to recruit suitable back up for Ryan Taylor. If we had recruited better and showed more positivity I think we could be performing better (like both Portsmouth and Blackpool, both of which came up with us).

I do not think we should be in a relegation battle and do not think my expectations in that regard are unreasonable.

Just my opinion mind...

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":3jll8uah said:
Phil Sloggett":3jll8uah said:
Disappointed to read:

Rant over...

Based on WHAT?

Perhape you should manage YOUR expectations. Since when have we been a struggling League 1 side historically?

Aug 5, 2016
'History' doesn't pay our players wages Balham. Decent wages are what good seasons are usually built on - that's why you never see Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal ever in a relegation scrap. It's also why you don't hear many Nottingham Forest fans wanting their manager sacked because he's not competing enough in Europe. History offers little on the pitch.

Our main new signings this season were signed from Exeter, Morecambe and a player released by Scunthorpe. These are the players Derek Adams is required to apparently deliver top half with. It's bargain bin stuff.

Portsmouth signed their new forward from the Championship. Derek Adams is using a forward he found in the bottom half of the Conference.

Comparing us to the likes of Oxford last season, who have invested continually for successive seasons, or Bristol Rovers, who had a free scoring striker for most of last season, doesn't really work. Our team has been put together using freebies, scraps and favours.

Our CBs were signed from Crawley and Morecambe.

Our best forward is injured, our best player is serving a suspension, our CB partnership disrupted by suspension.

Why on earth is this team meant to finish top half? Our attendances may be fifth in the division but our budget clearly isn't. The whole lot from Fox to Sarcevic, Bradley to Lameiras and Taylor Sinclair were unwanted by their old clubs. These are undeniably cast offs at League Two level.

Adjust your expectations and embrace reality.

DA will keep us up I am sure but why the likes of yourself and Phil Sloggett expect us to be competing for promotion is beyond me. Adams clearly has not been given the tools to achieve what you expect him to.

Adams has discussed his given wage budget in the same breath as Walsall's. That's a club surviving on attendances of 4,000-5,000. You can forget Argyle's attendances as Adams clearly doesn't get the full whack of the gate money in his wage budget.

Feb 17, 2017
Spot on knibbsworth a spot on assessment of our current team. Arguably now a weaker side than the one that was in league 2 last season. We didn't dominate games in league 2 and the other promoted teams looked superior to us at times. This team has been built on a shoe string and it shows, add to that injuries and suspensions and playing half our games with ten men it's no surprise we're one place off bottom. If we don't get relegated this season even buy one point it's gonna be a great achievement by Adams. And the talk of getting back in the championship and how we was never a league one club and shouldn't be struggling in this league, the standard has changed dramatically. Championship clubs are now spending £30 million on strikers to compete and do well in that league, gonna be some stretch for us and I fear it's only going to get worse.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Knibbsworth":3fvr9w5z said:
Adams has discussed his given wage budget in the same breath as Walsall's. That's a club surviving on attendances of 4,000-5,000. You can forget Argyle's attendances as Adams clearly doesn't get the full whack of the gate money in his wage budget.
It may interest you to know that Walsall's isn't small. They rake money in off field through their conference/banqueting facilities and the big advertising board by the M6. They've got the highest budget they've ever had in this division this season.